• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Over the border from Illinois

Law abider

Hey all,

I'm a bit of an enigma but here I go. I come from the UK, became a resident very recently after many years and money (it's a lot harder to be a legal migrant than to hop the fence!).

I live in Illinois. I've been working through as many NRA classes as possible, I'm in the process of getting my Utah CCP.

I'm literally about 15 miles from the border with Wisconsin. I'm 95% sure I can go up there and open carry, but you look at these youtube videos of people getting in deep trouble and it kind of freaks you out! I'm near Kenosha, which is the place over the border I frequent the most. Does anybody here open carry in that area?

I'd like to go out there proud, increase awareness, but nobody want to be pinned to the floor and spend a night in jail right!

I'm a ardent supporter of the 2nd amendment and I think it's amazing you guys have it. I come from a country with NO written constitution, and it's hard to put into words how much I appreciate the "set in stone" rights you have here.

You can't choose where you were born, but you can choose where you live.

Welcome mate. Nice to have a Brit on the post. Was educated in UK for many years. Schooled at Blandford Forum and Christchurch. Miss the plowman's scotch egg, Rissoles ham and egg pie and those liver *******, I can't mention any more. Getting hungry for em. Oh I forgot those older Victory Vs with ether and chloroform in them! I live in the supposed nice part of the state. OC all the time unless it is too cold then CC. Too bad you are in Illinois. Yep, the English bill or rights are incorporated in our constitution like the 2A. I gather that Washington and Lady Spencer's ancestors were neighbors. In fact George's home is only 10 miles from theirs and they have a wooden Chest from Washington's home on the Spencer estate.
Anyway Welcome to the blog.

MikeLovell

Welcome mate. Nice to have a Brit on the post. Was educated in UK for many years. Schooled at Blandford Forum and Christchurch. Miss the plowman's scotch egg, Rissoles ham and egg pie and those liver *******, I can't mention any more. Getting hungry for em. Oh I forgot those older Victory Vs with ether and chloroform in them! I live in the supposed nice part of the state. OC all the time unless it is too cold then CC. Too bad you are in Illinois. Yep, the English bill or rights are incorporated in our constitution like the 2A. I gather that Washington and Lady Spencer's ancestors were neighbors. In fact George's home is only 10 miles from theirs and they have a wooden Chest from Washington's home on the Spencer estate.
Anyway Welcome to the blog.

I'm happy to be here! I think about the only things I get shipped over to me are fruit gums and pickled onions. I'd advise anyone to go to the "World" section of their supermarket and give them a try. Although not one after another of course, that would taste weird. Oh and mint sauce for lamb.

I'm just trying to walk the minefield here :) Like I say, I've been the model of law obedience in the states. As it should be, you don't come into somebody else's house and take a crap on the carpet (I'm sorry some immigrants DO behave this way).

I like to know the law, have it set in my mind 100%, which I do on most things. But this 1,000ft thing is just insane. I can see the intention behind it, but in terms of enforcement its a nightmare.

At least it's written in a way that if you go into such a zone unintentionally, you're okay (well, once it goes to court).

MikeLovell

I know of several villages that have schools and almost the whole village is covered my the thousand foot rule.

I hope you're not referring to Kenosha, otherwise I'm really screwed!

A lot of times I'm at Gander Mountain, Best Buy or Woodmans. All in Kenosha. I don't stray too far from there.

Law abider

I'm happy to be here! I think about the only things I get shipped over to me are fruit gums and pickled onions. I'd advise anyone to go to the "World" section of their supermarket and give them a try. Although not one after another of course, that would taste weird. Oh and mint sauce for lamb.

I'm just trying to walk the minefield here :) Like I say, I've been the model of law obedience in the states. As it should be, you don't come into somebody else's house and take a crap on the carpet (I'm sorry some immigrants DO behave this way).

I like to know the law, have it set in my mind 100%, which I do on most things. But this 1,000ft thing is just insane. I can see the intention behind it, but in terms of enforcement its a nightmare.

At least it's written in a way that if you go into such a zone unintentionally, you're okay (well, once it goes to court).

Yep HP pickled onions. Eat enough of them and you won't be needing a gun for a while. Yes the Coleman's mint sauce with new Zealand lamb! Topped off with Ambrosia rice pudding or custard! Don't forget the Robertson's marmalade!

MKEgal

MikeLovell said:
this 1,000ft thing is just insane...
Also, if you read the laws, there is an exception for being on private property within the magical zone.
So even if you live next to a school, if you stay on your property you're fine.
If you go to a store or gas station that's across the street from a school, you're fine on their property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Also, if you read the laws, there is an exception for being on private property within the magical zone.
So even if you live next to a school, if you stay on your property you're fine.
If you go to a store or gas station that's across the street from a school, you're fine on their property.
Going from one to the other might be problematical though, especially if you are walking or riding a bicycle.

WalkingWolf

Going from one to the other might be problematical though, especially if you are walking or riding a bicycle.

My wife works at a business within a victim zone, there is a pharmacy across the street. I have been seen by Sanford PD on dozens of occasions and never bothered. Plus a few occasions by deputies or troopers. IMO if a problem would arise the courts will take into account the right to travel, with the right to bear arms, and hopefully make a proper decision.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My wife works at a business within a victim zone, there is a pharmacy across the street. I have been seen by Sanford PD on dozens of occasions and never bothered. Plus a few occasions by deputies or troopers. IMO if a problem would arise the courts will take into account the right to travel, with the right to bear arms, and hopefully make a proper decision.
I agree that most LEOs think little to nothing about such and that they should not.

Really was only commenting on the technicallity. Would anticipate that a court of record would find the federal GFSZ law unconstituional.......again.

WalkingWolf

I agree that most LEOs think little to nothing about such and that they should not.

Really was only commenting on the technicallity. Would anticipate that a court of record would find the federal GFSZ law unconstituional.......again.

Yea I knew you were being technical, but just felt to add so those reading only sporadically would not paranoid to cross the street. The law really needs to be fixed, it makes as much sense as the affordable health care act.