• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

flying into NYC with a blue training handgun

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I have to fly to NYC in June and am taking my Blue plastic 1911 training pistol. I know all the requirements for an actual pistol but do I need to lock up the blue trainer like a real one? Does it need to be declared? What about wearing my empty holster?

FYI - So glad I live in Washington State.

CT Barfly

I have to fly to NYC in June and am taking my Blue plastic 1911 training pistol. I know all the requirements for an actual pistol but do I need to lock up the blue trainer like a real one? Does it need to be declared? What about wearing my empty holster?

you might want to brush up on NY Penal Code.

as for wearing an empty holster...expect to be hassled and maybe given a summons for disorderly conduct. cops will use the "maybe he stashed his gun somewhere close by" excuse and a judge will eat it up.

there is no 2A right in the 2nd Circuit, it's just a privilege for the privileged. NYC has been granted an exemption from the RKBA.

emsjeep

There may actually be a law against the blue gun, conceivably, as a replica or imitation etc etc.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Is it that the laws of NY are so asinine, or the fact that there are so many laws you guys can't keep up? If you guys came to the Washington Forum, fifteen or more guys would have given you an overload of information. I came here asking 3 questions and got "what ifs... maybes....... and possibilities"

After some digging here's what I found:

As was stated, a empty holster could be ruled as disorderly conduct depending on the cop.
A blue training gun (since I don't work in gun manufacturer/sales and/are delivering said blue trainer) can get me a $1k fine and/or 1 year in jail. If this trip did not involve my son and his Eagle Court of Honor Ceremony, I wouldn't set foot in NYC. NYC has some effed up gun laws and you guys put up with this crap???

The Gun Control Provisions§ 10-131. Firearms.

1. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sell, possess or use or attempt to use or give away, any toy or imitation firearm which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm unless:

(a) the entire exterior surface of such toy or imitation firearm is colored white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern.

2. Paragraph one of this subdivision shall not apply to:

(a) the possession or display of toy or imitation firearms by a manufacturer or dealer solely for purposes of sales that are accompanied by delivery to a point without the city;
(b) any toy or imitation firearm that will be used only for or in the production of television programs or theatrical or motion picture presentations, provided, however, that such use of any toy or imitation firearm complies with all applicable laws, rules or regulations concerning request and receipt of waivers authorizing such use;
(c) non-firing collector replica antique firearms, which look authentic and may be a scale model but are not intended as toys modeled on real firearms designed, manufactured and produced prior to 1898;

4. Any person who shall violate this subdivision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1000) or imprisonment not exceeding one (1) year or both.

Last edited: