• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

recently happened...

Sheldon

Up Date

Talked to my Son last night...

(good news) Wednesday they gave him back his gun :) (a lot less than the two weeks the officer said)
Legal reprucutions... Didn't ask but I can make some asumptions here, yeah you can read anything into that that you want but it would be just guessing... ;)

But best guess with out access to the police report.... Justifiable shooting, no charges to be filed... :D

Perp is still in ICU... that .38 with the +P JHP must have done some damage after all...

Last edited:

Maverick9

Up Date

Talked to my Son last night...

(good news) Wednesday they gave him back his gun :) (a lot less than the two weeks the officer said)
Legal reprucutions... Didn't ask but I can make some asumptions here, yeah you can read anything into that that you want but it would be just guessing... ;)

But best guess with out access to the police report.... Justifiable shooting, no charges to be filed... :D

Perp is still in ICU... that .38 with the +P JHP must have done some damage after all...

Let's hope:
1) the Perp doesn't die, doesn't remember the situation or who shot him;
2) his family isn't reactive;
3) nobody caught your son escalating the situation (not saying he did);
4) your son learns something from this situation;
5) he doesn't have guilt or PTSD;
6) the cops don't tell the perp anything he can use to get revenge.

Stay safe.

hafnhaf

"Here we have seen that had the OP's son NOT laid on the horn NO ONE WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT."

so its the son's fault for blasting his horn at the red-light runner? or maybe it's the horn's fault? was it a scary black plastic horn? did it have a shoulder thing that goes up? could it beep more than 10 times without reloading? maybe the red-light runner had a relative who was killed at an intersection because he/she did NOT run a red light to get out of the way of a firetruck. maybe they dont have red lights where the illegal guy came from. maybe we should keep cars away from illegal aliens. maybe we should... never mind.

Rusty Young Man

Let's hope:
1) the Perp doesn't die, doesn't remember the situation or who shot him;
2) his family isn't reactive;
3) nobody caught your son escalating the situation (not saying he did);
4) your son learns something from this situation;
5) he doesn't have guilt or PTSD;
6) the cops don't tell the perp anything he can use to get revenge.

Stay safe.

Won't comment on the first part of #1 on your list. Likewise, will not comment on #3, as I believe JoeSparky's last post on this thread summarizes my thoughts on the topic.

@Sheldon: Maverick9 raises some good points in this response to you.
2) As a Hispanic, I can say that family is usually VERY tight-knit (some jokes about mothers crying when the children "move away" to a house four houses away are loosely based on reality). Tell your son to be more alert in the weeks following the thug's release (one way or the other).
4) Hope your son learns that carrying can be a burden, but only because of the big responsibility that comes with it. As he experienced, the burden could have been heavier for his parents if they had to be talking to a bruised son, or worse, talking into an orntate wooden box.
5) It may help to remind him that the thug's actions after having been warned of the firearm indicate an increased probability of one of the two ending up on a stretcher. At that point, it can be said the thug made an informed decision, and your son made the natural decision NOT to allow himself to be critically harmed.
6) This ties back to my response to #2: have your son know that being extra alert and/or employing the (ARMED) buddy system may be most helpful in keeping his genes in the gene pool.

That being said, I hope your son gets over the initial shock, and that he finds more reason to go to the shooting range to hone his motor skills with a sidearm.

Sheldon

Won't comment on the first part of #1 on your list. Likewise, will not comment on #3, as I believe JoeSparky's last post on this thread summarizes my thoughts on the topic.

@Sheldon: Maverick9 raises some good points in this response to you.
2) As a Hispanic, I can say that family is usually VERY tight-knit (some jokes about mothers crying when the children "move away" to a house four houses away are loosely based on reality). Tell your son to be more alert in the weeks following the thug's release (one way or the other).
4) Hope your son learns that carrying can be a burden, but only because of the big responsibility that comes with it. As he experienced, the burden could have been heavier for his parents if they had to be talking to a bruised son, or worse, talking into an orntate wooden box.
5) It may help to remind him that the thug's actions after having been warned of the firearm indicate an increased probability of one of the two ending up on a stretcher. At that point, it can be said the thug made an informed decision, and your son made the natural decision NOT to allow himself to be critically harmed.
6) This ties back to my response to #2: have your son know that being extra alert and/or employing the (ARMED) buddy system may be most helpful in keeping his genes in the gene pool.

That being said, I hope your son gets over the initial shock, and that he finds more reason to go to the shooting range to hone his motor skills with a sidearm.

Yeah I am very aware of this and Thanks for the reminder!!
Every time I talk to him it is; have they released any information about you? How is the guy in the hospital? and keep your eyes open and especially the ones in the back of your head!!!
So far the the police have been very cooperative with him, they realize the vendetta thing among the Mexican community is a very real and serious threat, and have not nor do they plan on releasing his name or personal information.

This is just personal experience but in the Hospital, after such an incident the persons mind is usually blank...
Friends wife after her car accident, did not remember a thing, My godson after his bike accident, Nada, I believe it has something to do with the brain shutting down when under extreme stress...

Firearms Iinstuctor

Some people can just never admit that they were wrong and well make all kinds of foolish arguments to prove a point no matter how much it has been discredited.

Maverick9

"Here we have seen that had the OP's son NOT laid on the horn NO ONE WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT."

so its the son's fault for blasting his horn at the red-light runner? or maybe it's the horn's fault? was it a scary black plastic horn? did it have a shoulder thing that goes up? could it beep more than 10 times without reloading? maybe the red-light runner had a relative who was killed at an intersection because he/she did NOT run a red light to get out of the way of a firetruck. maybe they dont have red lights where the illegal guy came from. maybe we should keep cars away from illegal aliens. maybe we should... never mind.

Spin it any way you like, but here's the truth. The son laid on the horn. This angered the BG. The son was NOT hit by the red light runner. By laying on the horn he got on the BG's radar - FOR NO REASON. Hitting the brakes, yes, that prevented a potential collision.

THAT caused him to have to shoot someone. He was contributory, perhaps not in a negligent way, but run it again without the counter-aggression NO MATTER HOW WARRANTED and no one would have been shot. Period.

Fuller Malarkey

Odd nothing can be found in the MSM regarding a cabbie defending themselves, resulting in a shooting. I have at least an intermediate belt in Google-fu.

jrj_51

Spin it any way you like, but here's the truth. The son laid on the horn. This angered the BG. The son was NOT hit by the red light runner. By laying on the horn he got on the BG's radar - FOR NO REASON. Hitting the brakes, yes, that prevented a potential collision.

THAT caused him to have to shoot someone. He was contributory, perhaps not in a negligent way, but run it again without the counter-aggression NO MATTER HOW WARRANTED and no one would have been shot. Period.

We could "cause and effect" this all the way back to the beginning of time and you would be correct, but you would still be wrong.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Please take this comment NOT as a personal attack but maybe a way to have you understand the problem I see....

Your assertion that the horn blowing was the cause of the son needing to defend himself completely absolves the BG and his aggression. Are you sure the son would be happy with being told him it was his fault the BG came after him. Basically, it is blaming the raped woman for being seen by the rapist!

You are also completely discounting ANY effect the horn may have had in the BG potentially changing direction in avoiding the impending collision. It does seem obvious the BG heard the horn or did he come after the son simply because he was seen in the intersection and the son AVOIDED a collision by good observation and braking ability?

Last edited:

eamelhorn

I have almost completely left this site altogether. I don't know what if anything really happened. Is it a real story. I hope so. But throwing the whole post out the window and calling a man a liar because blowing a horn wont help you stop. But it may alert the other driver he is about to get T-boned and maybe just maybe he could help himself to get out of the way. I saw a car chase a man and his family down on the interstate waving clubs out the window. I watched the news that night. It wasn't on the news. You all need to get a life. Yea some people will make up a lie and post it. If I offended you, Oh well post about it. If you don't have proof maybe someone will call you a liar. Threads like this will keep me from coming back.

Maverick9

I have almost completely left this site altogether. I don't know what if anything really happened. Is it a real story. I hope so. But throwing the whole post out the window and calling a man a liar because blowing a horn wont help you stop. But it may alert the other driver he is about to get T-boned and maybe just maybe he could help himself to get out of the way. I saw a car chase a man and his family down on the interstate waving clubs out the window. I watched the news that night. It wasn't on the news. You all need to get a life. Yea some people will make up a lie and post it. If I offended you, Oh well post about it. If you don't have proof maybe someone will call you a liar. Threads like this will keep me from coming back.

Wow, whiney little girl, much? Seriously, it's a discussion, bro.

Sheldon

When I worked nights I would listen to the police scanner, and would regularly hear of shootings, armed robbery's, home invasions, people getting robbed as they entered their car at the mall, and all too often they would not be in the paper or on the local news.

Yeah the police suppress the news at times... Why; simple they do now want people to live in fear of just how dangerous the real world around them really is.

As to me I am real glad this has not made the media, as I do not want to hear my son had a shoot out with Mexican gang members out for vengeance!

Sheldon

The boy picked up a Glock 17 in 9... :)
Now he needs range time to go with, and all the failure drills that accompany a semi vs his point and click..... ;)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
OK, I'm going to say this, and I expect that to be the end of it (although I know better).

Honking a horn is NOT "aggressive", with the possible exception of those entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of their homes (which certainly does NOT apply to other drivers). How is another driver's right infringed by the honking of your horn? Answer: it is not.

It's one thing to suggest that horn-honking can inadvertently escalate a situation. It's quite another to suggest this with even an accusatory tone.

It's exactly the same as rape: it's one thing to tell your daughter she shouldn't wear such a short skirt, as it might encourage aggressive males. It's another thing entirely to point that out after she's been raped. The former is a prudent warning, the latter is simply blaming the victim.

Short skirts do (cannot) not justify rape, and horn-honking does not (cannot) justify an aggressive response. Period, end of discussion.

I'm going to come right out and say it: those who call horn-honking "aggressive" are unintentionally displaying the exact same sort of apish chest-thumping they pretend to decry.

While it may be true that passive people don't "lay on the horn", passive people also don't look for petty things to consider as "aggressive".

Those armchair quarterbacks who are unable to maintain a non-accusatory tone really ought to keep their opinions to themselves. Otherwise, they're dragging down the whole forum with their crap.

Last edited:

Primus

OK, I'm going to say this, and I expect that to be the end of it (although I know better).

Honking a horn is NOT "aggressive", with the possible exception of those entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of their homes (which certainly does NOT apply to other drivers). How is another driver's right infringed by the honking of your horn? Answer: it is not.

It's one thing to suggest that horn-honking can inadvertently escalate a situation. It's quite another to suggest this with even an accusatory tone.

It's exactly the same as rape: it's one thing to tell your daughter she shouldn't wear such a short skirt, as it might encourage aggressive males. It's another thing entirely to point that out after she's been raped. The former is a prudent warning, the latter is simply blaming the victim.

Short skirts do (cannot) not justify rape, and horn-honking does not (cannot) justify an aggressive response. Period, end of discussion.

I'm going to come right out and say it: those who call horn-honking "aggressive" are unintentionally displaying the exact same sort of apish chest-thumping they pretend to decry.

While it may be true that passive people don't "lay on the horn", passive people also don't look for petty things to consider as "aggressive".

Those armchair quarterbacks who are unable to maintain a non-accusatory tone really ought to keep their opinions to themselves. Otherwise, they're dragging down the whole forum with their crap.

Well that's settled then. I guess lock the thread thee has spoken. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk