• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lifetime CHP bill amended

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not getting into the gun bills and especially the CHP bills so you have to look it up, but a little while the Lifetime CHP bill was amended. There was concern that Mary Land cops got CHP Holder information and pulled Va Drivers to look for guns so the amendment would only allow states that have reciprocity will be able to get Va. CHP information.

Good amendment from a bad Senator!

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I'm not getting into the gun bills and especially the CHP bills so you have to look it up, but a little while the Lifetime CHP bill was amended. There was concern that Mary Land cops got CHP Holder information and pulled Va Drivers to look for guns so the amendment would only allow states that have reciprocity will be able to get Va. CHP information.

Wow.... a great amendment! Although, as I have mentioned in the past, I regularly travel back into TPR of MD with NRA and the big orange VCDL stickers prominently displayed on the back of my car and have never been stopped. Fingers crossed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow.... a great amendment! Although, as I have mentioned in the past, I regularly travel back into TPR of MD with NRA and the big orange VCDL stickers prominently displayed on the back of my car and have never been stopped. Fingers crossed.
Call ahead and let them know you are coming - that may help :p

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Would recording of interaction with MD police be admissible in court? MD is a two party state. I know courts have ruled on recording police activity but would you need to notify?

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk

Blk97F150

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Would recording of interaction with MD police be admissible in court? MD is a two party state. I know courts have ruled on recording police activity but would you need to notify?

You may video anywhere in the United States but the audio is where it gets sticky. Some states like Maryland consider it wiretapping. Ggradually the courts are weeding out these laws but I'd hate to be the test case.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
You may video anywhere in the United States but the audio is where it gets sticky. Some states like Maryland consider it wiretapping. Ggradually the courts are weeding out these laws but I'd hate to be the test case.

Yea Peter that's my thoughts also. I wonder what would happen if you told the ofsafer you did not consent to them recording in one of these states. Haha

TFred

I will be very interested in following this. When I started floating around this very suggestion, it met with lots of "hmm, don't know how that would be possible..." reactions.

As I asked then, when you think about it, what possible reason could any law enforcement agency in a non-reciprocal jurisdiction have to know about your CHP?

TFred

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
You may video anywhere in the United States but the audio is where it gets sticky. Some states like Maryland consider it wiretapping. Gradually the courts are weeding out these laws but I'd hate to be the test case.

A citizen's ability to video/audio tape a LEO in a public setting was ostensibly resolved September 27th, 2010 when Judge Emery Plitt ruled in Maryland v. Graber:

..."that the law was unconstitutional, noting that "the video taping of public events is protected under the First Amendment."[6] The judge ruled that Maryland's wire tap law does not prohibit recording of voice or sound in areas where privacy cannot be expected and that a police officer on a traffic stop has no legal expectation of privacy.[6]"​

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Graber for the write-up and footnotes.
See also http://www.scribd.com/doc/38308423/State-of-Maryland-v-Anthony-John-Graber-III for the full court decision to dismiss the "wiretap" charges.

Still, it's an "iffy" situation. See http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2...ording-despite-previous-case-law-allowing-it/ where a citizen was arrested ~3 years after the court decision that validated a Maryland citizen's right to video/audio tape a LEO in a public situation. You may avoid the rap, but you may not avoid the ride.

TFred

If you were talking about SB608, it looks like Stuart withdrew the amendment.

TFred

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+amd+SB608ASR

(SB608)

AMENDMENT(S) REJECTED BY THE SENATE

SEN. STUART (WITHDRAWN)

1. Line 266, substitute, after line 265

insert

D. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, only Virginia law-enforcement personnel, agencies, officers, or other authorized agents thereof and law-enforcement personnel, agencies, officers, or other authorized agents thereof in states with reciprocity agreements under § 18.2-308.014 shall have access to permittee information in the Virginia Criminal Information Network.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you were talking about SB608, it looks like Stuart withdrew the amendment.

TFred

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?141+amd+SB608ASR

(SB608)

AMENDMENT(S) REJECTED BY THE SENATE

SEN. STUART (WITHDRAWN)

1. Line 266, substitute, after line 265

insert

D. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, only Virginia law-enforcement personnel, agencies, officers, or other authorized agents thereof and law-enforcement personnel, agencies, officers, or other authorized agents thereof in states with reciprocity agreements under § 18.2-308.014 shall have access to permittee information in the Virginia Criminal Information Network.

Might have been TFred...I just overheard the motion but didn't pay any attention to the rest. Like I said, it isn't on my agenda this year.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It was 608 TFred and looks like it was reported out with a substitute....After reading it, the bill sucks. Glad it doesn't apply to me.

[SIZE=+1]Uncontested Calendar Senate Bills on Third Reading ...[/SIZE] prev | next | current | calendar
S.B. 608. A BILL to amend and reenact §§ 18.2-308.01 through 18.2-308.04, 18.2-308.06 through 18.2-308.09, 18.2-308.011, 18.2-308.012, and 18.2-308.013 of the Code of Virginia; to amend the Code of Virginia by adding in Article 6.1 of Chapter 7 of Title 18.2 sections numbered 18.2-308.016, 18.2-308.017, and 18.2-3-08.018 and by adding a section numbered 52-4.5; and to repeal §§ 18.2-308.05 and 18.2-308.010 of the Code of Virginia, relating to lifetime concealed handgun permits; Department of State Police to issue permits; penalty. 14104403D

01/27/14 Senate: Committee substitute printed 14104403D-S1
01/13/14 Senate: Presented and ordered printed 14103717D

Patrons--Carrico and Garrett
Reported from Committee for Courts of Justice with substitute (14-Y 0-N)
[SIZE=-1]YEAS--Norment, Saslaw, Marsh, Howell, Lucas, Puller, Obenshain, McDougle, McEachin, Stuart, Vogel, Stanley, Reeves, Garrett--14.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]NAYS--0.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ABSTENTIONS--0.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
Rereferred to the Committee on Finance
Reported from Committee on Finance (17-Y 0-N)
[SIZE=-1]YEAS--Colgan, Stosch, Howell, Saslaw, Norment, Hanger, Watkins, Marsh, Lucas, Ruff, Wagner, Edwards, Puckett, Puller, Deeds, Locke, McEachin--17.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]NAYS--0.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ABSTENTIONS--0.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
Committee substitute adopted by Senate February 6, 2014[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

mpguy

I need to play catch up and I can't atm due to work. This bill is still up for voting yes? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on the matter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I need to play catch up and I can't atm due to work. This bill is still up for voting yes? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on the matter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It goes to the House now for review and vote. They can take it like it is, modify it, or kill it.