• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Someone knocks on the door ... You don’t expect someone to shoot you."

Repeater

Is this attitude typical of Northern Virginia? Does it occur to anybody that maybe one option is to answer the door armed?

A sense of unease in Alexandria after slaying of beloved music teacher
People who have felt safe enough to leave front doors unlocked find themselves instinctively locking them. Many are scanning the faces of strangers for similarities to the sketch of the suspect — an older, balding white man with a gray beard — that Alexandria police released late Friday night.

And the ordinary act of answering a knock at the front door now comes with a touch of dread.

“Re: Knock at my door,” wrote one neighbor on a local e-mail discussion group, “If it was a neighbor who just knocked, I apologize, but I am not answering the door. Please call or send me an e-mail.”

At the Executive Lock and Key Service hardware store, locksmith Sean Harvey said he has been deluged with calls to install peepholes into front doors since Lodato’s slaying.

“People are scared,” he said, pulling a brass peephole with a 200-degree view off the shelf. “Someone knocks on the door, you want to open it. You don’t expect someone to shoot you.”

But this really has me wondering:
“I just feel like my perspective is changing as my sense of safety is threatened. After the shootings at the Columbia Mall a few weeks ago, I was at a Starbucks and a man came and sat next to me without ordering anything. I began to make a plan for what I’d do if he got up and started shooting. I’ve never done that before,” said Marcia Bond, sitting across from Kronheim.

“And now, after this murder, I find myself looking around, wondering, ‘Is anyone in this coffee shop carrying a gun?’ ”

Well, if she's so scared, why doesn't she carry her own gun?

Shovelhead

I exercise the options (plural) of first looking to see who is standing at my door while armed (Bay windows are great for this), and refusing to answer the door for anyone who was not known to my wife or myself.
I don't acknowledge door-to-door anything.
They're trespassers, and wasting precious ME time.

2a4all

Repeater wrote:

But this really has me wondering:

“I just feel like my perspective is changing as my sense of safety is threatened. After the shootings at the Columbia Mall a few weeks ago, I was at a Starbucks and a man came and sat next to me without ordering anything. I began to make a plan for what I’d do if he got up and started shooting. I’ve never done that before,” said Marcia Bond, sitting across from Kronheim.

“And now, after this murder, I find myself looking around, wondering, ‘Is anyone in this coffee shop carrying a gun?’ ”

Well, if she's so scared, why doesn't she carry her own gun?
​Is her comment based on fear of harm or expectation of protection?

davidmcbeth

Banned
You cannot live you life in fear ... I size up the person at my door ... then usually open the door. If they are working for democrats I try to teach them the error of their ways .. same with GOP folks ...

Maverick9

LOL, Marcia is going to jump up and kill the man next to her with her car and house keys between her fingers.

Good luck with that Marcia. I know, I know, I shouldn't be snarky with clueless people.

Last edited:

conhntr

One great thing about living in the country. Been here for 2 years and have had no one up here i wasnt expecting. In town and in my apartment days my door wojld get knocked on so often i quit answering; not out of fear but becuase i got tired of solictors etc

TFred

BE proud. Male pattern baldness is caused by a local excess of testosterone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_pattern_baldness
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_pattern_baldness#Hormonal_etiology

Now, I have a full head of thick silver hair; keeping my 'T' where I prefer it.
Tony Campolo had a famous line he would deliver somewhere in a sermon. "Every man has the same number of hormones... if you want to use yours growing hair, that's your business!"

:)

TFred