• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Next US Surgeon General declares Guns w/b a Healthcare Issue

HPmatt

Thanks to Emily Miller for giving a heads up on this one.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...minee-dr-vivek-murthy-rad/?page=all#pagebreak

Dr. Vivek Hallegere Murthy (36 years old) did not answer questions about 2A head-on, but I guarantee you this guy will use Obamacare to extensively expand gun controls by using medical patient data. Remember folks talking about questions now asked by Drs in office visits - Are you depressed? Do you own guns?

My bet is that the masterminds will start using certain diagnosis codes as a starting point to cross-reference CHL permits and even gun purchases - now that the Feds new 'Consumer Protection Agency' has direct access to bank, credit card, and investment data. The Feds gave themselves the right to snoop around in any of your personal financial data, so it is off-the-shelf doable you could flag gun/ammo purchase transactions from credit card data, and mash it up against medical data, etc.

Big Brother has to raw data to snoop and this guy will trump up all sorts of barbra streisand reasons to use it. A sharp cookie - from Wiki -
he attended Harvard University, where he graduated magna cum laude in three years with a bachelors degree in Biochemical Sciences, received an MD and MBA from Yale and an MBA in 2003.He completed his residency in Internal Medicine in 2006 from Harvard.

Murthy is president of Doctors for America, a group of 15,000 physicians and medical students supporting Obama in advocating for policy that would provide Americans with more affordable, accessible healthcare. In 2011, Murthy was selected by HHS to advise the National Prevention Council on developing strategies and partnerships to advance the nation's health. Murthy also has experience in creating information technology solutions to medical-related problems. He is co-founder and chairman of TrialNetworks, a cloud-based Clinical Trial Optimization System for pharmaceutical and biotechnology trials.

HPmatt

It's easier to carry a gun than to carry a Scalpel

That's what I say too…or the corollary - don't bring a scalpel to a gunfight….

http://www.drsforamerica.org/take-action/gun-violence-prevention

GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION
With 87 people dying and over 180 being injured every day due to gun shot wounds, it's clear gun violence is a public health crisis. As health care providers, we work to protect our patients from deadly diseases like heart disease-- it's time to do the same for gun violence. :confused:

These are the supersmart dopes that are in process of destroying their own profession - medical care, and are trying to do the same with the 2A - how about KISS - don't allow gang members to have guns and arm every citizen except Drs with too high an IQ?

Docs vs. Glocks Campaign (Summer, 2011)Must be a pressing medical reason - why ask about gun ownership?
Drs. Mona Mangat and Suzie Prabhakaran and several others spearheaded a petition of 200 physicians against the Florida law banning physicians from asking about gun ownership. They then took that petition to state legislators and convinced State Representative Rick Kriseman to introduce a repeal bill in September, working with Florida CHAIN. Drs. Mangat and Linda Galloway wrote a letter about it that was published in JAMA.

How about the 'Pass it for Ted' campaign
Tribute to Ted Kennedy (August 26, 2009)
After fighting for health reform for four decades, Senator Ted Kennedy passed away on August 26. In response, our members pledged their commitment to health reform.

Attachments

• DFAGunsSharable.jpg
    DFAGunsSharable.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 191

davidmcbeth

Banned
Before doctors should start pushing for BR on us, maybe they should assign such things to themselves universally.

No MD unless you have no charges at all...after all, people are unconscious around them.

HPmatt

Surgeon Genl Nominee definitely anti-2A and going to infringe

He's working his way through the process. At some point, when all the primaries are over, it w/b interesting to see how many chest-thumping pro-2A Senators vote for this guy. Lamar Alexander has already called him on this.

His group, which has been dubbed "Docs vs. Glocks," has pushed Congress to ban "assault" weapons and "high-capacity" magazines.
He also wants to spend more tax dollars on more research to prove that fewer guns mean a lower crime rate, despite the fact that a number of reputable studies prove the opposite.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...geon-general-nominee-gun-control-advocate.htm

Maverick9

With 87 people dying and over 180 being injured every day due to gun shot wounds, it's clear gun violence is a public health crisis.
That's a VERY TINY number given 200-300 million population, and the incidence of other accidental CoD. Being unable to intelligently assess risk and weed out good shoots from useless statistics he should disqualify himself from the position.

Rusty Young Man

That's a VERY TINY number given 200-300 million population, and the incidence of other accidental CoD. Being unable to intelligently assess risk and weed out good shoots from useless statistics he should disqualify himself from the position.

Anyone know how many deaths come about as a result of medical malpractice every year? I'd like to ask him why he doesn't address that issue...

Last edited:

RikuNoganashi

Anyone know how many deaths come about as a result of medical malpractice every year? I'd like to ask him why he doesn't address that issue...

Everything I found on the FBI website says roughly 195,000 died last year due to malpractice. And the last year numbers were ran for homicides, 2011, 8,500 were killed by a firearm, no idea how many were suicides or gang related though.

bushwacker

His group, which has been dubbed "Docs vs. Glocks," has pushed Congress to ban "assault" weapons and "high-capacity" magazines.
He also wants to spend more tax dollars on more research to prove that fewer guns mean a lower crime rate, despite the fact that a number of reputable studies prove the opposite.
yeah but I think that stats show doctors kill more people in this country than guns . so fewer doctors means a lower death rate. maybe gun shops out of concern for their customers lives should be required to ask all gun buyers .Do you have a doctor? guess I need to get a group together and dub it "glocks or docs" to study the question which one kills most