Thread: Can anyone explain this cartoon to me?

Can anyone explain this cartoon to me?

I really hate to even point people to click on this guy's web page, but I'm at a loss. The Free Lance-Star's "cartoonist" is a viciously radical left-wing nut-job. He went away for a few months, then came back, and so far as I have seen, has only drawn one cartoon that was actually "funny" since he's been back. (It was a cartoon poking fun at moderate Republicans, and the funny part was he spelled their nickname, "Rhino!" and then tried to explain it. Now THAT was funny, but he didn't even know why.)

Anyway, so he has a weekly caption contest, and this week's cartoon is not even remotely funny - no matter WHAT caption one might imagine, and I have no idea what current event he may be referring to. Any ideas?

TFred

http://news.fredericksburg.com/toont...n-contest-181/

Founder's Club Member
    Who cares what he's trying to reference. That cartoon is a golden opportunity!

Captions:

"Cartoonist demands people laugh at his cartoons."

"Grandparents demand younger generations pay their Social Security."

"Gov. Macauliffe tells Military and Police Subcommittee how to vote."

"The secret to Tery Macauliffe's fundraising prowess is discovered."

"Off-duty LA cop hunting Chris Dorner."

"Liberals want young people to pay oldster's medical bills through Obamacare."

"Moran declines Latino lobbyists."
    Last edited by Citizen; 02-11-2014 at 01:56 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I believe it is reference to the guy in Florida that fired 11 shots (IIRC) into a red Dodge Durango at a gas station that had 4 black teens that were playing loud music in 2012. See link for story.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1922720140210

"Michael Dunn, a 47-year-old software engineer, is being tried in state court on one count of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of firing a deadly missile into an occupied vehicle for the shooting death of Jordan Davis, 17, on November 23, 2012."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Negative cartoonist with an agenda

Anti gun invitation to slam gun owners by imagining personally perceived circumstances.

He introduces several things illegal: road, rage, brandishing and augments that with "little people" (children?) being threatened with deadly force.

Is he a friend of Dan Casey with the Roanoke Times?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by DocDaddy View Post
    I believe it is reference to the guy in Florida that fired 11 shots (IIRC) into a red Dodge Durango at a gas station that had 4 black teens that were playing loud music in 2012. See link for story.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1922720140210

"Michael Dunn, a 47-year-old software engineer, is being tried in state court on one count of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of firing a deadly missile into an occupied vehicle for the shooting death of Jordan Davis, 17, on November 23, 2012."
    Ah, thanks that must be it. How could I have been so uninformed about a case that happened two years ago, nowhere near Virginia?

Citizen, I'm sure none of those captions would win, but you can usually leave them in the comments. I'm sure those are funnier than any potential "winning" caption will be!

TFred

ATM there is one confused comment at the site. But the image (hardly a cartoon) is mere red-meat for the blue -- crowd.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Find the 'Assault Weapon'

Look, here is a better cartoon.

Which one of these is a true 'Assault Weapon' -- pick one:

Pen is mightier then the sword.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Pen is mightier then the sword.

Unless you happen to be on the floor of the Coliseum when they let the lions out or at your local Quick Stop after midnight.

A lie repeated often enough trumps facts not disclosed.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Unless you happen to be on the floor of the Coliseum when they let the lions out or at your local Quick Stop after midnight.

A lie repeated often enough trumps facts not disclosed.
    True. Also unless your being impaled by said sword.

But that part was left unsaid because its common knowledge in a literal sense a sword will physically be mightier. But in a civilized society a pen can take away your sword.... aw ban?

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Unless you happen to be on the floor of the Coliseum when they let the lions out or at your local Quick Stop after midnight...
    A single pen stroke usually precedes the authority for multiple events like these.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

Leggo my Eggo!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    "Off-duty LA cop hunting Chris Dorner."
    I entered this one. Unfortunately I was unable to adequately credit Citizen.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Yeah, just like…,

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    True. Also unless your being impaled by said sword.

But that part was left unsaid because its common knowledge in a literal sense a sword will physically be mightier. But in a civilized society a pen can take away your sword.... aw ban?

my AR-15 that I bought in 1976. It came with two 20 round magazines blocked to accept only 5 rounds each, and was officially named "Sporter", a civilian and semi automatic version of the Military issue M-16. Some years later, without any physical modification, but with the stroke of someone elses pen, it became an "Assault Rifle" although it is not capable of automatic fire. Then, a little while later, with the stroke of another pen, it became a "WMD", "Weapon of Mass Destruction" all from just sitting in its case, and someone else's "desire" for a "more civilized society", never mind that the exact same type of firearm in the hands of government "agents" received different designations, such as 'Personal Defense Weapons" or "Patrol Rifles".

I suppose that's where all this is heading now, to a more "civilized society", where, among other ruses the government uses, an oppressors pen is employed and implies/applies the threat of all its "agents" and all of their taxpayer funded Personal Defense Weapons and Patrol Rifles to "liberate" (that's the current phrase from the White House these days, isn't it?) my possessions from me until there is only one thing left to take. I remember reading about some folks over in Europe a few generations or so back, that were quite adamant about creating a more "civilized society", and like many of our government leaders these days, they seem to have much the same thought and truly believe that "the ends justify the means". That society was truly "mean", they became truly prolific and inventive with their "means", and fortunately for us and many others, they met with a "justifiable end".

Civilized Society? Hmmm…, I need more explanation. Then again, maybe I don't.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

"One of you show me how to use this thing?"

"Ya'll dropped your gun back there!! I grabbed it for ya!"

He posted the "winner" this afternoon, and not to be unexpected, the caption he chose just spreads the hate.

"TURN THAT CHRISTIAN ROCK BACK ON!!!"

I shudder to think that anyone is paying this man money for his work.

TFred

Caption could have been "Buy the Freelance-Star or else"
    I do not see any other way to sell that rag.

Trust me! I'm from the government!

It's going bankrupt anyway. It's a pretty crappy cartoon if you judge it based simply on its artistic and creative merits.

http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsd...or-bankruptcy/
    "If I don't deserve the credit, then why do I deserve the blame?" - Peacemaker by The Steeldrivers

Quote Originally Posted by george11c View Post
    It's going bankrupt anyway. It's a pretty crappy cartoon if you judge it based simply on its artistic and creative merits.

I love watching the statist old media writhe in their death throes.

They so deserve it...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
    Trust me! I'm from the government!
    OK. I'm going to close my eyes and bend over; don't do anything funny!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    OK. I'm going to close my eyes and bend over; don't do anything funny!
    Oh, it won't be funny; not at all! :-)
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Yes, but they'll stay in business. And to be fair, that is a good thing. Aside from two or three folks on the wacky side (including this cartoonist) - and a few bad decisions along the way, it's really a good paper. There are many similar sized outfits that are horrible all around. Their editorial page is vastly improved over what it used to be.

Their bankruptcy is due to a poorly timed expansion right as the print industry started to collapse. Due to what I suspect are government regulations on the banking industry, the large loan they had for their expansion went "out of conformance" when their income levels dropped. So, even though they cut costs and didn't miss even one payment, they called in the loan and forced the bankruptcy. One more "win" for government regulation.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I love watching the statist old media writhe in their death throes.

They so deserve it...
    The Free Lance-Star is neither "going bankrupt" nor in their "death throes."

Very few people outside of the commercial real estate and investment community understand typical/standard terms in commercial lending documents of this nature.

It would seem that the FLS was in fact up to date (even ahead) on the repayment of the note. Where there was a default was in market conditions (part of the mandated stipulations in the loan) whereby the loan could be called/accelerated (100% due and payable now) - that may be a technical point, but perfectly legal and enforceable.

The FLS had responded to the need to protect their liquidity (expense vs income) by reducing their overhead - as a result, they continue to satisfy the companies bills in a timely fashion.

In essence, what we have here is not dissimilar to the results of a hostile takeover. In this case, an investor bought (below par) a note in technical default of a company with an ability to operate within the parameters of its income and expenses and then is causing the sale of that company under Chapter 11, through the opening provided by the change in those market conditions. I have every expectation the FLS will be allowed to continue in operation by the bankruptcy judge and that the new note holder will ultimately end up in an ownership position. The only thing that will likely change is the name of the owner(s).

As an entity/business in Frederiksburg, I do not see any changes that will affect the way they operate nor be noticeable to the public.

The alleged death of the Free Lance-Star is decidedly most premature.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-15-2014 at 04:53 PM.