• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can anyone explain this cartoon to me?

TFred

I really hate to even point people to click on this guy's web page, but I'm at a loss. The Free Lance-Star's "cartoonist" is a viciously radical left-wing nut-job. He went away for a few months, then came back, and so far as I have seen, has only drawn one cartoon that was actually "funny" since he's been back. (It was a cartoon poking fun at moderate Republicans, and the funny part was he spelled their nickname, "Rhino!" and then tried to explain it. Now THAT was funny, but he didn't even know why.)

Anyway, so he has a weekly caption contest, and this week's cartoon is not even remotely funny - no matter WHAT caption one might imagine, and I have no idea what current event he may be referring to. Any ideas?

TFred

http://news.fredericksburg.com/toontalk/2014/02/10/caption-contest-181/

caption02102014.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Who cares what he's trying to reference. That cartoon is a golden opportunity!

Captions:

"Cartoonist demands people laugh at his cartoons."

"Grandparents demand younger generations pay their Social Security."

"Gov. Macauliffe tells Military and Police Subcommittee how to vote."

"The secret to Tery Macauliffe's fundraising prowess is discovered."

"Off-duty LA cop hunting Chris Dorner."

"Liberals want young people to pay oldster's medical bills through Obamacare."

"Moran declines Latino lobbyists."

Last edited:

DocDaddy

I believe it is reference to the guy in Florida that fired 11 shots (IIRC) into a red Dodge Durango at a gas station that had 4 black teens that were playing loud music in 2012. See link for story.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/10/us-usa-florida-shooting-dunn-idUSBREA1922720140210

"Michael Dunn, a 47-year-old software engineer, is being tried in state court on one count of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of firing a deadly missile into an occupied vehicle for the shooting death of Jordan Davis, 17, on November 23, 2012."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Negative cartoonist with an agenda

Anti gun invitation to slam gun owners by imagining personally perceived circumstances.

He introduces several things illegal: road, rage, brandishing and augments that with "little people" (children?) being threatened with deadly force.

Is he a friend of Dan Casey with the Roanoke Times?

TFred

I believe it is reference to the guy in Florida that fired 11 shots (IIRC) into a red Dodge Durango at a gas station that had 4 black teens that were playing loud music in 2012. See link for story.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/10/us-usa-florida-shooting-dunn-idUSBREA1922720140210

"Michael Dunn, a 47-year-old software engineer, is being tried in state court on one count of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of firing a deadly missile into an occupied vehicle for the shooting death of Jordan Davis, 17, on November 23, 2012."
Ah, thanks that must be it. How could I have been so uninformed about a case that happened two years ago, nowhere near Virginia?

Citizen, I'm sure none of those captions would win, but you can usually leave them in the comments. I'm sure those are funnier than any potential "winning" caption will be!

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Pen is mightier then the sword.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Unless you happen to be on the floor of the Coliseum when they let the lions out or at your local Quick Stop after midnight.

A lie repeated often enough trumps facts not disclosed.

Primus

Unless you happen to be on the floor of the Coliseum when they let the lions out or at your local Quick Stop after midnight.

A lie repeated often enough trumps facts not disclosed.

True. Also unless your being impaled by said sword.

But that part was left unsaid because its common knowledge in a literal sense a sword will physically be mightier. But in a civilized society a pen can take away your sword.... aw ban?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Unless you happen to be on the floor of the Coliseum when they let the lions out or at your local Quick Stop after midnight...

A single pen stroke usually precedes the authority for multiple events like these.

sidestreet

Yeah, just like…,

True. Also unless your being impaled by said sword.

But that part was left unsaid because its common knowledge in a literal sense a sword will physically be mightier. But in a civilized society a pen can take away your sword.... aw ban?

my AR-15 that I bought in 1976. It came with two 20 round magazines blocked to accept only 5 rounds each, and was officially named "Sporter", a civilian and semi automatic version of the Military issue M-16. Some years later, without any physical modification, but with the stroke of someone elses pen, it became an "Assault Rifle" although it is not capable of automatic fire. Then, a little while later, with the stroke of another pen, it became a "WMD", "Weapon of Mass Destruction" all from just sitting in its case, and someone else's "desire" for a "more civilized society", never mind that the exact same type of firearm in the hands of government "agents" received different designations, such as 'Personal Defense Weapons" or "Patrol Rifles".

I suppose that's where all this is heading now, to a more "civilized society", where, among other ruses the government uses, an oppressors pen is employed and implies/applies the threat of all its "agents" and all of their taxpayer funded Personal Defense Weapons and Patrol Rifles to "liberate" (that's the current phrase from the White House these days, isn't it?) my possessions from me until there is only one thing left to take. I remember reading about some folks over in Europe a few generations or so back, that were quite adamant about creating a more "civilized society", and like many of our government leaders these days, they seem to have much the same thought and truly believe that "the ends justify the means". That society was truly "mean", they became truly prolific and inventive with their "means", and fortunately for us and many others, they met with a "justifiable end".

Civilized Society? Hmmm…, I need more explanation. Then again, maybe I don't.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

TFred

He posted the "winner" this afternoon, and not to be unexpected, the caption he chose just spreads the hate.

"TURN THAT CHRISTIAN ROCK BACK ON!!!"

I shudder to think that anyone is paying this man money for his work.

TFred