• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Threatening e-mail under investigation by Capitol Police

Augustin

I've predicted on this forum that some veteran who has been stripped of their right to bear arms (OC) because of a diagnosis of PTSD or a declaration of incompetence will take up arms against his/her legislators. I hope that no violence takes place, but it does seem inevitable.

Is this e-mail a harbinger of what is to come?

"Email to vets urging violence against legislators now under investigation by Capitol Police: COLORADO"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dv9a_UBx70

davidmcbeth

Banned
Look at how they hide their home addresses.

I think that some vets are figuring out that the gov't and military are not their friends when no longer a part of the "system".

I myself currently do not advocate killing politicians or gov't officials .... they are like weeds, kill one and 2 more will sprout up.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So, is it a fact that twenty-two vets suicide daily? Is it not amazing that the focus is on an anonymous threat rather than on the suicide (an accomplished fact) rate of veterans each with a name?

I don't know if these #s are any different than the general population at large...good point though.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The numbers are all over the map, depending larger where you get them. A friend who works at Wounded Warrior reports the following:

- the suicide rate among veterans vastly exceeds that of active-duty troops. According to estimates last year (2011) by the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs, a US military veteran commits suicide every 80 minutes – totaling 18 veterans a day

- In 2010, the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America nonprofit reported that veterans account for 20 percent of the 30,000 annual US suicides, though only 1 percent of Americans have served in the military.

- And yet, the average suicide rate in the US military – 24 suicides per 100,000 soldiers – is lower than the civilian suicide rate for men aged 17 to 60 – 25 suicides per 100,000 in 2010.

He also sent me this link for the official numbers, which does indeed, on page 15, report "an estimated 22 Veterans will have died from suicide each day in the calendar year 2010."

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think I forgot to mention earlier this case:

Jimena, supra,2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 68560, at *15-16 (E.D.Cal. June 24, 2011)

The basic crux of the case is that an email, by itself, cannot be stated as coming from anyone in particular.

Again, the best advice...don't talk to police. Do not admit to your email address, do not admit anything.

Dario

I think I forgot to mention earlier this case:

Jimena, supra,2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 68560, at *15-16 (E.D.Cal. June 24, 2011)

The basic crux of the case is that an email, by itself, cannot be stated as coming from anyone in particular.

Again, the best advice...don't talk to police. Do not admit to your email address, do not admit anything.

I like your avatar. I've been wanting to do more activism in regards to jury nullification. It worked for prohibition and slavery, and can put the nail in the coffin of gun control.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've been wanting to do more activism in regards to jury nullification. It worked for prohibition and slavery, and can put the nail in the coffin of gun control.

While it can be effectively, it's one of those "last bastions of justice." The steps (roughly) where justice is best served:

1. We the people, in encouraging our lawmakers ensure all laws are just, and discouraging them from making any unjust laws.
2. The lawmakers and their staffs, where unjust laws should be discarded
3. Constitutionality research, where unjust laws should be discarded.
4. The session, during which reasonable objections should result in everyone saying, "Yeah, that was a bad idea," and unjust laws are discarded.
5. LEO initial contact, where the officer sworn to support and defend the Constitution says, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not enforcing it."
6. Prosecuting attorney, also a sworn officer (civil) who should say, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not prosecuting it."
7. Judge, also a sworn officer (civil) who should say, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not trying it."
8. Jury, who themselves swear an oath, and should say, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not convicting on it."
9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. Appeals courts up to the Supreme Court
14. Governor, who can either stay, set aside, or pardon.

Jury nullification is way down the line, and by that time, the individual has already incurred tens of thousands of dollars in legal expenses. Wouldn't it be nice if We the People could simply elect legislators, researchers, law enforcement officers (chiefs), and prosecutors (their bosses who appoint them), and judges who would simply follow the law, beginning with the "supreme Law of the Land?"

Last edited:

Dario

While it can be effectively, it's one of those "last bastions of justice." The steps (roughly) where justice is best served:

1. We the people, in encouraging our lawmakers ensure all laws are just, and discouraging them from making any unjust laws.
2. The lawmakers and their staffs, where unjust laws should be discarded
3. Constitutionality research, where unjust laws should be discarded.
4. The session, during which reasonable objections should result in everyone saying, "Yeah, that was a bad idea," and unjust laws are discarded.
5. LEO initial contact, where the officer sworn to support and defend the Constitution says, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not enforcing it."
6. Prosecuting attorney, also a sworn officer (civil) who should say, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not prosecuting it."
7. Judge, also a sworn officer (civil) who should say, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not trying it."
8. Jury, who themselves swear an oath, and should say, "yeah, that's a bad law, and we're not convicting on it."
9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. Appeals courts up to the Supreme Court
14. Governor, who can either stay, set aside, or pardon.

Jury nullification is way down the line, and by that time, the individual has already incurred tens of thousands of dollars in legal expenses. Wouldn't it be nice if We the People could simply elect legislators, researchers, law enforcement officers (chiefs), and prosecutors (their bosses who appoint them), and judges who would simply follow the law, beginning with the "supreme Law of the Land?"

Indeed it would. Unfortunately 1-7 is rare these days, since all the agencies involved seem to be more interested in generating revenue for the State and maintaining an us vs. them mentality than upholding the Constitution. Then again, many of the same mental midgets selected for jury duty come from the same pool that votes traitors and power hunger kleptocrats into office.

Maybe it will only take the 15th step (the one that mentions the tree of liberty and the blood of martyrs and tyrants) to affect any real change. I hope not.