• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

As of midnight, these bills

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Reality sucks but since this is crossover day...these bills are dead at midnight:

HB 114 Private or religious schools; possession of firearm, etc., on school property.
......................................................................................................................
[SIZE=-2]HB1266 Patron: Dave A. LaRock - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]
Machine guns owned by trust.
..................................................................................................
[/SIZE]
HB 317 Prohibition on weapons at airport; exception for concealed handgun.
Mark J. Berg | all patrons ...
...................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB43 Patron: Robert G. Marshall - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Federal firearms laws; enforcement.
[/SIZE]
........................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB644 Patron: Jeffrey L. Campbell - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Concealed handgun permits; lifetime permits. Provides for the issuance of concealed handgun permits for Virginia residents that do not expire. Currently, such permits must be renewed every five years.
[/SIZE]
...........................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB646 Patron: Jeffrey L. Campbell - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Replacement concealed handgun permits.
[/SIZE]
...............................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB714 Patron: Jeffrey L. Campbell - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Renewal of concealed handgun permit; no fees required.
[/SIZE]
.................................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB8 Patron: R. Lee Ware, Jr. - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Fees for concealed handgun permits.
[/SIZE]
.....................................................................................................................................

Others too

Thundar

Reality sucks but since this is crossover day...these bills are dead at midnight:

HB 114 Private or religious schools; possession of firearm, etc., on school property.
......................................................................................................................
[SIZE=-2]HB1266 Patron: Dave A. LaRock - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]
Machine guns owned by trust.
..................................................................................................
[/SIZE]
HB 317 Prohibition on weapons at airport; exception for concealed handgun.
Mark J. Berg | all patrons ...
...................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB43 Patron: Robert G. Marshall - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Federal firearms laws; enforcement.
[/SIZE]
........................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB644 Patron: Jeffrey L. Campbell - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Concealed handgun permits; lifetime permits. Provides for the issuance of concealed handgun permits for Virginia residents that do not expire. Currently, such permits must be renewed every five years.
[/SIZE]
...........................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB646 Patron: Jeffrey L. Campbell - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Replacement concealed handgun permits.
[/SIZE]
...............................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB714 Patron: Jeffrey L. Campbell - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Renewal of concealed handgun permit; no fees required.
[/SIZE]
.................................................................................................................................

[SIZE=-2]HB8 Patron: R. Lee Ware, Jr. - all patrons [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Fees for concealed handgun permits.
[/SIZE]
.....................................................................................................................................

Others too

HB 43 Was the only really important gun rights bill. Republicans sent it to the appropriations committee to die. It was never even put on the committee's agenda.

Here is the list of committee members who colluded in the killing of hb43: Jones (Chairman), Ingram, Cox, Landes, O'Bannon, Lingamfelter, Poindexter, Massie, Scott, Peace, Greason, Knight, Anderson, Garrett, Stolle, Joannou, Brink, Howell, A.T., BaCote, Dance, Torian, Hester

Last edited:

d dubya

Regarding HB646

Text from HB646:

".......replacement concealed handgun permit because the permit holder has changed his
address (currently subject to a maximum fee of $10) or to replace a lost or destroyed permit
(currently subject to a maximum fee of $5)."

My CHP recently disintegrated in the washer/dryer. I called Williamsburg/ James city County clerk of court about getting a replacement, and was told I would have to make a personal appearance to the clerk's office with fourteen dollars.

So even if the proposed bill died, they are still in disagreement with the lawas it exists, correct?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Text from HB646:

".......replacement concealed handgun permit because the permit holder has changed his
address (currently subject to a maximum fee of $10) or to replace a lost or destroyed permit
(currently subject to a maximum fee of $5)."

My CHP recently disintegrated in the washer/dryer. I called Williamsburg/ James city County clerk of court about getting a replacement, and was told I would have to make a personal appearance to the clerk's office with fourteen dollars.

So even if the proposed bill died, they are still in disagreement with the lawas it exists, correct?

There is no confusion/disagreement - read part "B" of § 18.2-308.011. Replacement permits. Also see no personal appearance requirement.

"B. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon submission of a notarized statement by the permit holder that the permit was lost or destroyed, issue a replacement permit. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date as the permit that was lost or destroyed. The clerk shall issue the replacement permit within 10 business days of receiving the notarized statement, and may charge a fee not to exceed $5."
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.011

user

Accomplished Advocate
I was disappointed that there was no corrective legislation regarding the "brandishing" statute. I feel like all the wind was taken out of Corry's sails and that we let him down. If he had to go through all that crap because of the way that statute's written, the least we could have done is have a correction in the mill. I talked to my rep about it on "lobby day", and he said, "Why didn't you get this to me two weeks ago? I could have done something!" He understood completely what the problem was and started working on redrafting the statute immediately. I feel like we dropped the ball, and getting that statute fixed is going to be my own legislative priority starting now. Note that I make a good bit of money from defending people charged under that statute, so I'm not doing myself any economic favors by leading this attack. But it's the anti-gun crowd's main weapon against open carrying, because by their lights, if they see a gun and "feel fear", then there's a violation. And in some parts of Virginia, law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges feel the same way and use the horribly drafted statute as a blunt club to beat us up with. Gotta fixit!

Baked on Grease

I was disappointed that there was no corrective legislation regarding the "brandishing" statute. I feel like all the wind was taken out of Corry's sails and that we let him down. If he had to go through all that crap because of the way that statute's written, the least we could have done is have a correction in the mill. I talked to my rep about it on "lobby day", and he said, "Why didn't you get this to me two weeks ago? I could have done something!" He understood completely what the problem was and started working on redrafting the statute immediately. I feel like we dropped the ball, and getting that statute fixed is going to be my own legislative priority starting now. Note that I make a good bit of money from defending people charged under that statute, so I'm not doing myself any economic favors by leading this attack. But it's the anti-gun crowd's main weapon against open carrying, because by their lights, if they see a gun and "feel fear", then there's a violation. And in some parts of Virginia, law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges feel the same way and use the horribly drafted statute as a blunt club to beat us up with. Gotta fixit!

I sent a letter to my reps but never got responses. .. of course 1 of them was running for a higher office so why would he bother to do his current job? >.<

Tell us whatever you need user. I am all for getting that statute modified.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The present brandishing statute is a minor and meaningless add-on charge for those with criminal intent, but for a LAC it can be emotionally and financially devastating.

No question IMO, that it needs to be fixed.

Appreciate what you do User, doubt that you will run out of work.......at least not in this lifetime

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I agree completely!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What ever happened to the bills for Life Time Permits?
I tried to follow them but lost track of them when they got moved around.

I'll check later today...I've been busy with other days. I will tell you this though. I was on the elevator with Goddard yesterday at the GA. He and I are friendly enough as long as the subject stays off of guns. I asked how the session was going and he said it was slow but was still trying to push the lifetime permits through. Tell you anything?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll check later today...I've been busy with other days. I will tell you this though. I was on the elevator with Goddard yesterday at the GA. He and I are friendly enough as long as the subject stays off of guns. I asked how the session was going and he said it was slow but was still trying to push the lifetime permits through. Tell you anything?

9MM-Owner

THANKS for the update. Mine's due for renewal later this year and want to hold out long enough get a life time permit incase some nut job trys to make it harder to renew.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
THANKS for the update. Mine's due for renewal later this year and want to hold out long enough get a life time permit incase some nut job trys to make it harder to renew.
Welcome to the forum 9mm - are you a member of VCDL yet? - Best way to promote/defend our RKBA.

If this were to pass, it likely won't be effective until July 1st.