• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Florida soon...Want to make sure I'm understanding the law correctly.

brlong23

Hello everyone,

My wife is in the military and just got orders for Florida (Tampa) later this year. We're coming from Virginia where I pretty much OC everywhere but I know Florida is not the same and I just want a sanity check before doing something stupid.

I know Florida recognizes my concealed carry license but from what I gather, the only acceptable reason for OC is while hunting/fishing or in my home? Also, I'm fuzzy on transportation methods but I believe transport in a glove compartment or center console is allowed? Can the firearm remain loaded while in the compartment?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

notalawyer

Hello everyone,

My wife is in the military and just got orders for Florida (Tampa) later this year. We're coming from Virginia where I pretty much OC everywhere but I know Florida is not the same and I just want a sanity check before doing something stupid.

I know Florida recognizes my concealed carry license but from what I gather, the only acceptable reason for OC is while hunting/fishing or in my home? Also, I'm fuzzy on transportation methods but I believe transport in a glove compartment or center console is allowed? Can the firearm remain loaded while in the compartment?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

OC (or concealed without need for a license) is permitted at home/work; at/going to/from the range; at/going to/from hunting fishing, camping; plus a couple other situations that do not apply to most folks.

With a Florida or reciprocal state license you can carry most anywhere except jails/prisons; airport passenger terminal; police/sheriff/FHP station; courthouse; polling place at election time; into a meeting of a governing body state/county/city/school district; school buildings*; bar**; and of course any place restricted by Federal law/regulations.

* School - You can keep a firearm in your car's glove-box, console, etc. on College/University property. Also Elementary/Middle/High school property (unless the school district has established and published specific exception to this provision) - lots of discussion surrounding this all most very technical.

** Bar - the actual bar, the place where the booze is kept and where the bartender works. Sitting at a table in a restaurant that has a bar is fine. Also drinking while carrying is legal.

Loaded carry in the car without a license is fine as long as the firearm is in the closed glove-box, closed console closed purse, closed backpack, etc.
With a license it can be carried anywhere in the car as long as it is concealed.