Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: If DESPP won't answer a quesiton then I will do what I believe is right

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    1,247

    If DESPP won't answer a quesiton then I will do what I believe is right

    I have not posted on this message board and will NOT respond to any questions or comments left in this thread.

    I believe that the information supplied in this post is timely and informative based on the facts of the situation being provided.

    DESPP refuses to answer valid questions or provide information timely valid information to serious question asked.

    I have been and will continue to post updates and facts at www.ctgunrights.com

    It is my hope that the following information will cause everyone THINK.

    FEBRUARY 11, 2014
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014

    Please forward this correspondence to DESPP Commissioner Dora Schriro,
    The attached request for clarification was addressed to you and submitted to your
    department on January 17th, 2014.
    As of this date, I have not had the courtesy of a reply or acknowledgement of same.
    The request was made in anticipation of my having to decide whether or not to lend
    firearms to an individual who is NOT PROHIBITED from the possession of firearms.
    This is my NOTICE to you and your department that I will, within the next few days, be lending one or more of my privately owned handguns to an individual in Connecticut who desires to have firearms in his/her residence for the purpose of self defense.
    It is my understanding that the individual does NOT currently possess a valid Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers or Connecticut Eligibility Certificate at this time.
    It might also be noted that the individual in question had his Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers REVOKED by your SLFU in the past.
    It is also my understanding that there is no current authority for me to request a National or State Criminal History records check on the individual prior to my lending the firearm(s).
    My belief in the individual CORE RIGHT to possess firearms in the home for self defense is absolute and guides me in my decision to loan one or more of my firearms to this individual.
    Should you or your department know of any prohibition which prevents my loaning one or more firearms to a NON PROHIBITED individual, please respond with the appropriate Federal or State laws or regulations so that I may evaluate my decision.
    To be totally transparent, I am publicizing this document, and sending a copy to Attorney Rachel M. Baird so that others will know of my decision and the fact that I am not attempting to break any Federal or State laws.

    Respectfully,


    Edward A. Peruta
    American News and Information Services Inc.
    c/o Attorney Rachel M. Baird
    8 Church Street
    Torrington, CT 06790

    COPY OF EMAIL SENT TO DESPP
    _____________________________________________
    From: Edward Peruta [mailto:edperuta@amcable.tv]
    Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 1:24 PM
    To: 'eric.cooke@ct.gov'; 'Kenneth.damato@ct.gov'; 'Christine.Plourde@ct.gov'; 'Attorney Ainsworth, Janet'; 'rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com'; 'm.lake@rachelbairdlaw.com'; 'Patty A. Tartaglino'; 'file@rachelbairdlaw.com'
    Subject: Request for Clarification to prevent the need to file FOI requests


    Please forward to the current Commissioner

    Dr. Dora Schriro
    Commissioner
    Department of Public Safety and Public Protection
    1111 Country Club Road
    Middletown, CT


    Subject: Request for clarification regarding loaned firearms:


    The undersigned as a recognized firearm safety instructor by the State of Connecticut requests clarification on the following issue.

    Can a firearm be left or stored in the home/residence of an adult individual who is 18 years old or older who has NO disqualifying factors that would prevent the simple possession of a firearm?

    Should your department chose not to provide the requested specific clarification information, a follow-up Freedom of Information request will be made for any and all documents which may provide the information requested.

    The undersigned recognizes the civil liability of NOT having physical possession of the firearm, and also recognizes the criminal liability if the firearm is left with someone who is prohibited from possessing firearms or unsecured and loaded where children are present.

    This clarification is requested in part because of statement relayed by a member of law enforcement who claims that individuals are being arrested for simply loaning a firearm to someone.

    I have researched the current state statutes and can find NO prohibition on the loaning of firearms to another as long as the loaned firearm is kept in the residence of the individual to whom the firearm was loaned.

    If there is currently any prohibition on the lending or storing of unloaded firearms, please advise as soon as possible.

    Respectfully,

    Edward A. Peruta
    NRA Certified Pistol Safety Instructor
    c/o Attorney Rachel M. Baird
    8 Church Street
    Torrington, CT 06790
    860-978-5455
    Last edited by Edward Peruta; 02-11-2014 at 10:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Dr. Schriro earned a JD from St. Louis University, an EdD from Columbia University, a MS from the University of Massachusetts-Boston, and a BA cum laude from Northeastern University. She has taught graduate level courses in law and criminal justice and published in the areas of correction and immigration innovation and systems reform throughout her career....http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/cw...=4010&Q=537634

    She has an education doctorate? LOL - I don't call people with this degree "doctor"...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    the're not in the business of interpreting the law for you or anyone else. And may (as in Florida) be prohibited by law from doing so.
    You need to get a legal opinion from an attorney, but you already know that!

    If LEO has probable cause to believe you have violated the law, they may arrest you. But you already know that too.

    And as you also know mens rea is not a element of the crime in many statutes.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    the're not in the business of interpreting the law for you or anyone else. And may (as in Florida) be prohibited by law from doing so.
    Nonsense. You should check Connecticut case law first before posting this.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    I am along for the ride. It is going to be an interesting trip.

    Best wishes to you, Edward Peruta. You have our gratitude and admiration.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Nonsense. You should check Connecticut case law first before posting this.
    I don't think that one can cite an authority that says that DESPP is mandated to answer such a query either.

    So I think that notalawyer is correct on that point unless you can offer a cite to that effect.

  7. #7
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

    She has an education doctorate? LOL - I don't call people with this degree "doctor"...
    Then you are ignorant of conventional protocol. Having worked in the higher education sector for a decade at a university that was oriented toward advanced degrees, I can certify that anyone who completes a doctoral program -- either a research-oriented Ph.D. or a practicum-based doctorate -- has dedicated years to the process and has proven their worth through peer-administered review, written and oral examination and the completion of rigorous academic coursework. They deserve the accommodation of being addressed as Doctor.

    What, pray tell, is YOUR Doctorate in that enables you to disparage those who have earned theirs? Or is this simply a case of title-envy?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Then you are ignorant of conventional protocol. Having worked in the higher education sector for a decade at a university that was oriented toward advanced degrees, I can certify that anyone who completes a doctoral program -- either a research-oriented Ph.D. or a practicum-based doctorate -- has dedicated years to the process and has proven their worth through peer-administered review, written and oral examination and the completion of rigorous academic coursework. They deserve the accommodation of being addressed as Doctor.

    What, pray tell, is YOUR Doctorate in that enables you to disparage those who have earned theirs? Or is this simply a case of title-envy?
    PhD in education? Are you kidding me? Yes, they do spend much time in getting it. But ANYONE can get one if they want, its not a question of intelligence. Its an education degree. When taking graduate courses, I took a few of the courses required to get a PhD in education as electives... they are jokes and people in the class seeking PhDs did not strike me as being very smart.

    And a person does not have to have any degree to be considered smart.

    I generally do not call anyone "doctor" except medical doctors .. and I see this as more of a job description ..

    Suggest you take some PhD required education courses and you'll figure it out for yourself.

  9. #9
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    PhD in education? Are you kidding me? Yes, they do spend much time in getting it. But ANYONE can get one if they want, its not a question of intelligence. Its an education degree. When taking graduate courses, I took a few of the courses required to get a PhD in education as electives... they are jokes and people in the class seeking PhDs did not strike me as being very smart.

    And a person does not have to have any degree to be considered smart.

    I generally do not call anyone "doctor" except medical doctors .. and I see this as more of a job description ..

    Suggest you take some PhD required education courses and you'll figure it out for yourself.
    You clearly do not understand the difference between a Ph.D. and a practicum-based Doctorate. How you decide to refer to those who have successfully completed either program is completely up to you. To provide them with the honorific title -- or not -- will simply indicate to others your level of civility ... but I suspect that I was correct in judging your level of envy.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    You clearly do not understand the difference between a Ph.D. and a practicum-based Doctorate. How you decide to refer to those who have successfully completed either program is completely up to you. To provide them with the honorific title -- or not -- will simply indicate to others your level of civility ... but I suspect that I was correct in judging your level of envy.
    Lets get back to the thread's purpose huh? And no, I'm am not "civil" to your understanding (ie cow-towing to authority); I treat people as I would like to be treated until they don't..except for public officials who I'll treat however I like.

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Agree - let's get back on topic please. We already have a thread on civility.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •