• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If DESPP won't answer a quesiton then I will do what I believe is right

Edward Peruta

I have not posted on this message board and will NOT respond to any questions or comments left in this thread.

I believe that the information supplied in this post is timely and informative based on the facts of the situation being provided.

DESPP refuses to answer valid questions or provide information timely valid information to serious question asked.

I have been and will continue to post updates and facts at www.ctgunrights.com

It is my hope that the following information will cause everyone THINK.

FEBRUARY 11, 2014
Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Please forward this correspondence to DESPP Commissioner Dora Schriro,
The attached request for clarification was addressed to you and submitted to your
department on January 17th, 2014.
As of this date, I have not had the courtesy of a reply or acknowledgement of same.
The request was made in anticipation of my having to decide whether or not to lend
firearms to an individual who is NOT PROHIBITED from the possession of firearms.
This is my NOTICE to you and your department that I will, within the next few days, be lending one or more of my privately owned handguns to an individual in Connecticut who desires to have firearms in his/her residence for the purpose of self defense.
It is my understanding that the individual does NOT currently possess a valid Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers or Connecticut Eligibility Certificate at this time.
It might also be noted that the individual in question had his Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers REVOKED by your SLFU in the past.
It is also my understanding that there is no current authority for me to request a National or State Criminal History records check on the individual prior to my lending the firearm(s).
My belief in the individual CORE RIGHT to possess firearms in the home for self defense is absolute and guides me in my decision to loan one or more of my firearms to this individual.
Should you or your department know of any prohibition which prevents my loaning one or more firearms to a NON PROHIBITED individual, please respond with the appropriate Federal or State laws or regulations so that I may evaluate my decision.
To be totally transparent, I am publicizing this document, and sending a copy to Attorney Rachel M. Baird so that others will know of my decision and the fact that I am not attempting to break any Federal or State laws.

Respectfully,

Edward A. Peruta
American News and Information Services Inc.
c/o Attorney Rachel M. Baird
8 Church Street
Torrington, CT 06790

COPY OF EMAIL SENT TO DESPP
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 1:24 PM
To: 'eric.cooke@ct.gov'; 'Kenneth.damato@ct.gov'; 'Christine.Plourde@ct.gov'; 'Attorney Ainsworth, Janet'; 'rbaird@rachelbairdlaw.com'; 'm.lake@rachelbairdlaw.com'; 'Patty A. Tartaglino'; 'file@rachelbairdlaw.com'
Subject: Request for Clarification to prevent the need to file FOI requests

Please forward to the current Commissioner

Dr. Dora Schriro
Commissioner
Department of Public Safety and Public Protection
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT

Subject: Request for clarification regarding loaned firearms:

The undersigned as a recognized firearm safety instructor by the State of Connecticut requests clarification on the following issue.

Can a firearm be left or stored in the home/residence of an adult individual who is 18 years old or older who has NO disqualifying factors that would prevent the simple possession of a firearm?

Should your department chose not to provide the requested specific clarification information, a follow-up Freedom of Information request will be made for any and all documents which may provide the information requested.

The undersigned recognizes the civil liability of NOT having physical possession of the firearm, and also recognizes the criminal liability if the firearm is left with someone who is prohibited from possessing firearms or unsecured and loaded where children are present.

This clarification is requested in part because of statement relayed by a member of law enforcement who claims that individuals are being arrested for simply loaning a firearm to someone.

I have researched the current state statutes and can find NO prohibition on the loaning of firearms to another as long as the loaned firearm is kept in the residence of the individual to whom the firearm was loaned.

If there is currently any prohibition on the lending or storing of unloaded firearms, please advise as soon as possible.

Respectfully,

Edward A. Peruta
NRA Certified Pistol Safety Instructor
c/o Attorney Rachel M. Baird
8 Church Street
Torrington, CT 06790
860-978-5455

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Dr. Schriro earned a JD from St. Louis University, an EdD from Columbia University, a MS from the University of Massachusetts-Boston, and a BA cum laude from Northeastern University. She has taught graduate level courses in law and criminal justice and published in the areas of correction and immigration innovation and systems reform throughout her career....http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/cwp/view.asp?A=4010&Q=537634

She has an education doctorate? LOL - I don't call people with this degree "doctor"...

notalawyer

the're not in the business of interpreting the law for you or anyone else. And may (as in Florida) be prohibited by law from doing so.
You need to get a legal opinion from an attorney, but you already know that!

If LEO has probable cause to believe you have violated the law, they may arrest you. But you already know that too.

And as you also know mens rea is not a element of the crime in many statutes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am along for the ride. It is going to be an interesting trip.

Best wishes to you, Edward Peruta. You have our gratitude and admiration.
icon14.png

davidmcbeth

Banned
Nonsense. You should check Connecticut case law first before posting this.

I don't think that one can cite an authority that says that DESPP is mandated to answer such a query either.

So I think that notalawyer is correct on that point unless you can offer a cite to that effect.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
She has an education doctorate? LOL - I don't call people with this degree "doctor"...

Then you are ignorant of conventional protocol. Having worked in the higher education sector for a decade at a university that was oriented toward advanced degrees, I can certify that anyone who completes a doctoral program -- either a research-oriented Ph.D. or a practicum-based doctorate -- has dedicated years to the process and has proven their worth through peer-administered review, written and oral examination and the completion of rigorous academic coursework. They deserve the accommodation of being addressed as Doctor.

What, pray tell, is YOUR Doctorate in that enables you to disparage those who have earned theirs? Or is this simply a case of title-envy?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Then you are ignorant of conventional protocol. Having worked in the higher education sector for a decade at a university that was oriented toward advanced degrees, I can certify that anyone who completes a doctoral program -- either a research-oriented Ph.D. or a practicum-based doctorate -- has dedicated years to the process and has proven their worth through peer-administered review, written and oral examination and the completion of rigorous academic coursework. They deserve the accommodation of being addressed as Doctor.

What, pray tell, is YOUR Doctorate in that enables you to disparage those who have earned theirs? Or is this simply a case of title-envy?

PhD in education? Are you kidding me? Yes, they do spend much time in getting it. But ANYONE can get one if they want, its not a question of intelligence. Its an education degree. When taking graduate courses, I took a few of the courses required to get a PhD in education as electives... they are jokes and people in the class seeking PhDs did not strike me as being very smart.

And a person does not have to have any degree to be considered smart.

I generally do not call anyone "doctor" except medical doctors .. and I see this as more of a job description ..

Suggest you take some PhD required education courses and you'll figure it out for yourself.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
PhD in education? Are you kidding me? Yes, they do spend much time in getting it. But ANYONE can get one if they want, its not a question of intelligence. Its an education degree. When taking graduate courses, I took a few of the courses required to get a PhD in education as electives... they are jokes and people in the class seeking PhDs did not strike me as being very smart.

And a person does not have to have any degree to be considered smart.

I generally do not call anyone "doctor" except medical doctors .. and I see this as more of a job description ..

Suggest you take some PhD required education courses and you'll figure it out for yourself.

You clearly do not understand the difference between a Ph.D. and a practicum-based Doctorate. How you decide to refer to those who have successfully completed either program is completely up to you. To provide them with the honorific title -- or not -- will simply indicate to others your level of civility ... but I suspect that I was correct in judging your level of envy.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You clearly do not understand the difference between a Ph.D. and a practicum-based Doctorate. How you decide to refer to those who have successfully completed either program is completely up to you. To provide them with the honorific title -- or not -- will simply indicate to others your level of civility ... but I suspect that I was correct in judging your level of envy.

Lets get back to the thread's purpose huh? And no, I'm am not "civil" to your understanding (ie cow-towing to authority); I treat people as I would like to be treated until they don't..except for public officials who I'll treat however I like.