• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov declares state of emergency - they changed the restriction(s) on firearms?

solus

i remember when Bev declared state of emergency in '11 there were restrictions placed on citizens having firearms.

i also vaguely remember something discussed out here on the forum about these restrictions which were over turned by the supreme court or other judicial entity but can't seem to find the thread nor can i remember if the restriction only pertained to all firearms, or handguns, or long guns.

so as Pat declares yet another state of emergency what does that mean for NC citizens who carry handguns (OC OR CC)?

thanks for the info and please cite as appropriate...

ipse

Last edited:

razor_baghdad

Bateman vs. Perdue 2012

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Perdue-(NC-Emergency-Powers-Ban)-struck-down (hold your nose reading the peanut gallery GRNC hater comments)

I had to dig but this from the GRNC:

http://www.grnc.org/defend-your-rig...-wins-state-of-emergency-suit-strikes-gun-ban

State of Emergency Gun Ban

In Bateman et al. v. Perdue et al., at issue was the state's blanket prohibition on carrying firearms outside the home during declared states of emergency. During numerous states of emergency involving hurricanes and other phenomena, lawful North Carolinians have been prevented from protecting themselves outside the home, including an incident in which King, NC posted the entire town against firearms in anticipation of a snowstorm. Plaintiffs for the case were gun rights organizations Grass Roots North Carolina, the Second Amendment Foundation, and citizens Michael Bateman, Virgil Green and Forrest Minges, Jr.

Last edited:

solus

thanks razor for the quick response i for the life of me couldn't find the reference...

course w/this storm front engulfing the state, for me it is a mute point...way too many crazies trying to drive in snowy conditions on the roads so i will defend the homefront from my home...lol

stay warm and safe

ipse

HPmatt

Interesting reading. Tyrants are all over the country, just waiting to strike. What was it that Chi Mayor Rahm Emanuel said - don't waste the opportunity of a crisis to advance the agenda.

bc.cruiser

The judicial lifting of the ban did not keep some stores from removing all ammo from the shelves. One local WM had zero ammo out; it had been removed and was not for sale.:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The judicial lifting of the ban did not keep some stores from removing all ammo from the shelves. One local WM had zero ammo out; it had been removed and was not for sale.:banghead:
If it was in any way advertised for sale and they are not "sold out," they my be guilty of fraud, deceptive advertising.

At they least I would complain (politely) to corporate - put some heat on the store manager.

papa bear

This has been bothering me. when it first came up. the pressure made Perdue say that people wouldn't be charged with the crime. they were keeping it on the books, but you would not be charged. :banghead:

now is it still the law or not

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This has been bothering me. when it first came up. the pressure made Perdue say that people wouldn't be charged with the crime. they were keeping it on the books, but you would not be charged. :banghead:

now is it still the law or not

Congratulations! You have won a great victory today as Grass Roots North Carolina and the Second Amendment Foundation won the Bateman v. Perdue lawsuit to strike down North Carolina's "state of emergency" gun ban.
http://www.grnc.org/defend-your-rig...-wins-state-of-emergency-suit-strikes-gun-ban

solus

Chapter 166A.
North Carolina Emergency Management Act.

§ 166A-19.31. Power of municipalities and counties to enact ordinances to deal with states of emergency.
(b)(4) Upon the possession, transportation, sale, purchase, storage, and use of gasoline, and dangerous weapons and substances, except that this subdivision does not authorize prohibitions or restrictions on lawfully possessed firearms or ammunition. As used in this subdivision, the term "dangerous weapons and substances" has the same meaning as it does under G.S. 14-288.1. As used in this subdivision, the term "firearm" has the same meaning as it does under G.S. 14-409.39(2).
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_166A.html

i couldn't find any specific statements regarding firearms in the statute.

ipse

solus

Congratulations! You have won a great victory today as Grass Roots North Carolina and the Second Amendment Foundation won the Bateman v. Perdue lawsuit to strike down North Carolina's "state of emergency" gun ban.

sorry, grapeshot but reading different threads of GRNC's self flagellation on how they won this court case is disturbing on many levels. especially since i found previous threads on the organization's perception of their world in their passing laws for the citizens of NC .

now if you wish to bold the Second Amendment Foundation in your post i would say congratulations an good job to their initiative and perseverance to correct this injustice to the citizens of NC.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
sorry, grapeshot but reading different threads of GRNC's self flagellation on how they won this court case is disturbing on many levels. especially since i found previous threads on the organization's perception of their world in their passing laws for the citizens of NC .

now if you wish to bold the Second Amendment Foundation in your post i would say congratulations an good job to their initiative and perseverance to correct this injustice to the citizens of NC.

ipse

I didn't bold it - just copied it. Primary purpose was to give direction to the answer. I have no favorites in this.

Was glad to see the change though. :)