• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car accident advice?

customcreationllc

Everyday leaving work it is a scramble down Middletown Ave North/Newhaven
It is a double lined one lane road.

The lady behind me was obviously in a hurry ridding but bumper.
She tried to pass me once and only got half way. The second time she got in front and cut me off.

We were only going about 15mph when she tried to pass me on the left, I'm in the middle of the lane, she probably had enough room but cut it too short and cut me off hitting her back right side of her car with the front left of mine which then spun her car sideways right in front of me.

No major dents my bumper got pushed in a little no one hurt. Like I said about 15mph accident happened in all of 10ft.

When the cop came I told him she was behind me then she was on the side left side to pass me and cuts me off.
The ladies story supposedly said I passed her on the right.

The cop found our cars unmoved from the accident. My car in the middle of the lane her car sideways in front of me.

The cop just wrote down both stories and said since there is no witnesses it's my word against his.
They took 45min to come so there was no one left that saw the accident. I'm sure people saw it.

This in New Haven.
What should I do from here?
I don't have the nicest car and it just pushed in the bumper.
Any advice? To I just eat it, go after her insurance, is she going to come after me?

Now I know to grab witnesses and if I ever witness an accident I'm going to hang around.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think that if you were passing her on the right, you would have been the one T-boned - not her. The insurance adjuster may be able to sort it all out.

Were you OCing or otherwise carrying. If no,t this is off-topic for this forum.

Last edited:

customcreationllc

I think that if you were passing her on the right, you would have been the one T-boned - not her. The insurance adjuster may be able to sort it all out.

Were you OCing or otherwise carrying. If no,t this is off-topic for this forum.

Not open carrying and no firearms issues.

I'm sorry it is off topic just most of you guys tend to have good legal advice.

I've only ever heard of one person running a dashboard cam.
Might look into that.
Thank you

FuelHauler87

davidmcbeth

Banned
Last fender bender I had was in Orange, in a parking lot ... some lady coming out of a parking space hit my stopped car.

Cracked my old car's bumper .. I did not care and suggested she be more careful.

Well, this goofy girl said she wanted to call the cops ... OK ..waited 1/2 hr for cop to show up.

He starts asking me ? .. I tell him that he has no jurisdiction here for such a trivial civil matter on private land and I would not answer any of his questions in any event.

So, he goes talkin to the girl .. comes back and says "its her fault, here's my report". Called insurance company (we had the same company which made it easier I think), went to their body shop for estimate & took the cash instead of getting my car fixed. I'm sure the $600 came out of her pocket. My only insurance claim ever of any type.

So, call your insurance company ... if they find her at fault you should get $$$ or repair. If they cannot determine fault, then your insurance company will pay (after deductible) if you have full coverage. If not, you pay.

You are free to sue in small claims. No requirement to go through insurance company.

Put up a sign by the road asking people who witnessed it to contact you. May get lucky...likely not though.

If you don't get it fixed..then your car assessment should be lower than NADA clean ... a good thing .. need to appeal your assessment, usually 1st or 2nd week in September every year - call your assessor's office, they'll know. Remember: 1 OCT is the assessment date ... so was this accident before then? Right? lol

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

File an accident report with your insurance company - odds are good that they will subrogate it.

For future use: Buy and use a digital dash cam 100% of the time - they are cheap and they work - potentially worth 10X their weight in gold.
Almost everyone in the Ol' Pharts club in Richmond, Va. is running one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-INCH-Col...p2054897.l4276
Do you have this dash cam?
Yes, that exact one - you can pay more and get the same unit if you aren't careful. It does everything I want.

The instructions are somewhat poorly written/translated.

Secret is, after installation and setting up, to unplug it before cutting of the ignition. Next time out, plug it into outlet before starting ignition. Then you have the option of running a series of files or clearing it when you return home - by unpluging it first.

Has time & date stamp, audio, automatic day/night, downloadable to PC - what's not to like for the price?

Last edited:

FuelHauler87

Yes, that exact one - you can pay more and get the same unit if you aren't careful. It does everything I want.

Secret is, after installation and setting up, to unplug it before cutting of the ignition. Next time out, plug it into outlet before starting ignition. Then you have the option of running a series of files or clearing it when you return home - by unpluging it first.

Has time & date stamp, audio, automatic day/night, downloadable to PC - what's not to like for the price?

Perfect. Been looking for one for the semi. Thanks!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned

What would you do if it records something that you think could be used against you in court whereas w/o the camera footage you would likely get off? I imagine a big boot stomp?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What would you do if it records something that you think could be used against you in court whereas w/o the camera footage you would likely get off? I imagine a big boot stomp?

It has been said that no one can go 24 hours w/o breaking some law - no one is perfect.

To answer your question - no boot stomp, but not going to volunteer to put a noose around my neck either.

Good fortune has been my companion for quite a while - don't think that is an accident.

My gun + my video & audio recorders go where I go. It's that simple.