Thread: Some questions regarding OC in WI

Some questions regarding OC in WI

Hey everyone it's been a while since I posted. I just wanted to ask a quick question and see if you guys can't help me out.

I am 20 years old, and according to the information I have been given, I am legal to open carry my .45, which I do. I am curious however where the statute is that says that open carry is legal at 18 in case a LEO ever stops me and gets confused with the CCW law saying you must be 21. I've seen countless OC stop videos where the cop asks the OCer for a concealed weapons permit, when it has nothing to do with Oc in WI. I'd just like to be able to say more than "It's legal at 18 in WI".

I OC because it's the only legal way I can carry my firearm in public, and also because I feel that it's my civic duty to lead by example and show that OC is important to secure our rights. When I am 21 and have my CCW permit I will do both. But until then there is no way I'm going into public places and being disarmed because the law says I can't carry concealed without a license. My self defense is more important to me than maybe scaring someone because I have a visible gun on my hip.

Thanks guys.

There is not such a statute, "that says that open carry is legal at 18." In principle, the law prohibits, not permits. If it is not explicitly illegal then it is legal.

Would you look for a statute that allows attending church on Thursday?

948.60 Possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18.
    [ ... ]
    (2) (a) Any person under 18 years of age who possesses or goes armed with a dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

That is kinda what I figured it would be. Thanks for the reply.

Other information you might find useful: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ou-should-know
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Zen7
    I am curious however where the statute is that says that open carry is legal at 18 in case a LEO ever stops me and gets confused with the CCW law saying you must be 21.
    There isn't one, just like there isn't a law which says you're allowed to wear blue on Friday.
    Laws restrict. Some laws state exceptions to other laws (like where the state says "cc is illegal, but if you have a license you're not committing a crime").
    It is legal for an adult who is not a prohibited person to possess firearms.
    It is legal for an adult to purchase firearms from private citizens.
    It is legal for an adult to purchase long guns from an FFL.
    Only adults 21+ can purchase a pistol from an FFL or get a concealed carry license.

When I am 21 and have my CCW permit
    CCW is a crime - concealed carry of a weapon.
    Wisconsin issues licenses.