• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some questions regarding OC in WI

Zen7

Hey everyone it's been a while since I posted. I just wanted to ask a quick question and see if you guys can't help me out.

I am 20 years old, and according to the information I have been given, I am legal to open carry my .45, which I do. I am curious however where the statute is that says that open carry is legal at 18 in case a LEO ever stops me and gets confused with the CCW law saying you must be 21. I've seen countless OC stop videos where the cop asks the OCer for a concealed weapons permit, when it has nothing to do with Oc in WI. I'd just like to be able to say more than "It's legal at 18 in WI".

I OC because it's the only legal way I can carry my firearm in public, and also because I feel that it's my civic duty to lead by example and show that OC is important to secure our rights. When I am 21 and have my CCW permit I will do both. But until then there is no way I'm going into public places and being disarmed because the law says I can't carry concealed without a license. My self defense is more important to me than maybe scaring someone because I have a visible gun on my hip.

Thanks guys.

MKEgal

Zen7 said:
I am curious however where the statute is that says that open carry is legal at 18 in case a LEO ever stops me and gets confused with the CCW law saying you must be 21.
There isn't one, just like there isn't a law which says you're allowed to wear blue on Friday.
Laws restrict. Some laws state exceptions to other laws (like where the state says "cc is illegal, but if you have a license you're not committing a crime").
It is legal for an adult who is not a prohibited person to possess firearms.
It is legal for an adult to purchase firearms from private citizens.
It is legal for an adult to purchase long guns from an FFL.
Only adults 21+ can purchase a pistol from an FFL or get a concealed carry license.

When I am 21 and have my CCW permit
CCW is a crime - concealed carry of a weapon.
Wisconsin issues licenses.