• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Chicagoi on business, CPD says bring a gun, goto jail?

Hevymetal

I have to travel from the Detroit area to Chicago next weekend. I will be staying a couple of days. I am a member of these forums for some time now, mostly frequenting the MI forums. I have been TRYING to keep up on the developments regarding carry in IL.

I have a couple of questions, please forgive my ignorance

I currently have a MI CPL, as I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong) I am allowed to carry CC or OC while in the vehicle. If I exit the vehicle for whatever reason. I must unload encase and secure the firearm prior to exiting.

Am I allowed to uncase and load my firearm once entering my hotel room, so I can protect myself if needed? Do the hotels ban firearms?

Are there any city(Chicago) or county(Cook) laws that would get me into trouble?

A friend that goes back and forth said he called the Chicago police back in Dec., he told them he had a valid CPL and was bringing his firearm for protection along the way. They said firearms are not allowed in Chicago city limits period. When he said that the IL state police said it was fine for him to carry in his vehicle with a MI CPL. The Chicago police said he would be arrested on the spot and thrown in jail if caught with a firearm by the Chicago PD.

What gives? What are my chances of getting thrown in jail by the CPD vs the IL State PD?

Will the CPD find some bogus charge to arrest me on or are there valid laws still on the books they can charge you with?

Must I legally disclose if pulled over?

Thanks for the help
Hevy

davidmcbeth

Banned
OK, there are different "Illinois"...I lived in a section that one could CC even before the new law...years ago. The DA's would not bother with such cases and the police knew this--republican Illinois.

Then there's Crook County where I'm sure even people who get permits will be tossed in jail anyways.

Leave the unlocked gun in locked container, separate from ammo in the trunk.

Want to get back OK...leave the gun in MI. Or don't visit the town. I myself, would carry, but I don't mind sitting in a jail for a good paycheck.

cirrusly

This topic has come up several times.

Section 40

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the
vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

In short, a non-resident may carry a concealed firearm within the vehicle in Illinois, if the non-resident can legally carry in his/her own state. However, Chicago has chosen to ignore this, and I'm sure we will see law-abiding citizens get purposely wrongfully arrested and charged under unenforceable Chicago statues that conflict with the state preemption.

Golden Eagle

I have to travel from the Detroit area to Chicago next weekend. I will be staying a couple of days. I am a member of these forums for some time now, mostly frequenting the MI forums. I have been TRYING to keep up on the developments regarding carry in IL.

I have a couple of questions, please forgive my ignorance

I currently have a MI CPL, as I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong) I am allowed to carry CC or OC while in the vehicle. If I exit the vehicle for whatever reason. I must unload encase and secure the firearm prior to exiting.
I don't see it legal as written to OC in your vehicle.

Am I allowed to uncase and load my firearm once entering my hotel room, so I can protect myself if needed?
IANAL others here have said yes.

Do the hotels ban firearms?
I have never been to a hotel that banned firearms. My concern would be the maid finding the pistol while cleaning.

Are there any city(Chicago) or county(Cook) laws that would get me into trouble?
Ill does have preemption so all Chicago can do is ban lasers (lasers are not guns).

A friend that goes back and forth said he called the Chicago police back in Dec., he told them he had a valid CPL and was bringing his firearm for protection along the way. They said firearms are not allowed in Chicago city limits period. When he said that the IL state police said it was fine for him to carry in his vehicle with a MI CPL. The Chicago police said he would be arrested on the spot and thrown in jail if caught with a firearm by the Chicago PD.
Even in MI we always say don't ask the police for legal advice.

What gives? What are my chances of getting thrown in jail by the CPD vs the IL State PD?

Will the CPD find some bogus charge to arrest me on or are there valid laws still on the books they can charge you with?
Good question, I haven't heard either way yet.

Must I legally disclose if pulled over?
Only if "requested".

Thanks for the help
Hevy
I know a few that have car carried to Chicago but with no LEO contact. I would go for it but it's your decision... good luck. :)

Last edited:

solus

there seems to be some contention about OC'g but the IL State Police website faq seems to tell a different perspective...

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

there is also a different thread under IL postings discussing the same question...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?115808-Car-CC-from-out-of-State

i do hope someone can provide both of us a cite as i would love to have my firearm by my side next time i visit the windy city.

especially since cirrusly says chicago has chosen to ignore state mandates.

ipse

Last edited:

junglebob

there seems to be some contention about OC'g but the IL State Police website faq seems to tell a different perspective...

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

there is also a different thread under IL postings discussing the same question...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?115808-Car-CC-from-out-of-State

i do hope someone can provide both of us a cite as i would love to have my firearm by my side next time i visit the windy city.

especially since cirrusly says chicago has chosen to ignore state mandates.

ipse

The carry law preempts any ordinances that Chicago may have on handguns. There is a prohibition on laser sights that might stand up. You can read what the Illinois state police have to say about car carry at www. isp.state.il.us go to firearms and concealed carry. Chicago may very well continue to try and discourage people from carrying but they will end up costing themselves more attorney fees. The city of Chicago and state of Illinois have lost a total of 10 firearm court cases now to the NRA and have paid out millions. They appear to be slow learners.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

The carry law preempts any ordinances that Chicago may have on handguns. There is a prohibition on laser sights that might stand up. You can read what the Illinois state police have to say about car carry at www. isp.state.il.us go to firearms and concealed carry. Chicago may very well continue to try and discourage people from carrying but they will end up costing themselves more attorney fees. The city of Chicago and state of Illinois have lost a total of 10 firearm court cases now to the NRA and have paid out millions. They appear to be slow learners.

start suing the arresting officers personally with 42 USC 1983 actions, make that judgement bear that officers name.... then they'll start learning...