• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying out of Nashville

heckle

Both myself and my wife have Connecticut permits (TN recognizes CT permits). I am also waiting for my Utah permit.

We are planning on flying down to Nashville this summer to go visit family in Ashland City and Union City. We won't be flying in with any guns but when we fly out we will have a revolver o rtwo that belonged to the wifes grand mother (who passed a few years ago).

Any tips or anything specific to be aware of when flying out of Nashville (besides the normal "flying with a gun" stuff)? We have also never flown with a gun before so what type of a (realistic) case should we get? I am looking at a MicroVault Biometric MVB500 like this one...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experience reports.

Kopis

Rules for flying with firearms are federal (under TSA) and not specific to nashville. you can google TSA's instructions. As best i remember, it must be in a locked case in your checked bag or a hard case of its own (more for a rifle) and ammo cannot be stored in a mag. Ammo can be in the same case but it has to be in the boxes it came in. I put a gun lock through the pistol as well last time. I also printed the TSA firearms guidelines and brought them with me which was a good idea because the employees were asking each other questions and didnt know.

Ill add that you dont need a $200+ case to fly with a firearm, just simple, $25 hard sided pistol case is fine, with a free gun lock from your local PD. (just walk in and ask for a gun lock). If TSA decides they want to look at your firearm, they are going to no matter what. They'll either cut the lock, call you to open it or pry the darn thing open, who knows. I like flying with a firearm in my checked back because it gets extra special treatment and always comes out first.

Last edited:

Superlite27

Pretty pricey case!

I have a Pelican case that I engraved my name and address into.

Different airlines have different rules, so make sure you check your specific airline. I suggest, just for good measure, downloading a copy of the instructions to show to any uninformed airline personnel attending your check in to potentially avoid any headaches if they are unfamiliar with the process.

I'm unfamiliar with different airline's regs, but most likely, you should remember to:

1) Keep your firearm unloaded
2) Make sure your ammunition is removed from any magazines and kept in a container that separates individual rounds.
Make sure you use a "personal" lock, meaning: accessible only to you. Not one of the TSA approved locks.

When you arrive at check in, make sure your cased firearm is accessible on top of your checked bag. Stating you have a firearm to check, and then having to pull out your underwear and your wife's bras to get to it might be a little embarrassing.

Most likely, you'll be sent to TSA with your luggage for them to make sure your gun isn't loaded, they'll toss a "checked by TSA" card in the case, and you'll lock it up, put it in your suitcase, and wave goodbye to it until you get to your destination.

However, I have been surprised by having the check in attendant slap a "declared" sticker on the case so I could put it back in my suitcase and check it without going to TSA. It might depend on the airline.

All in all, flying with a handgun gets old hat after a few times. Like everything, the first time is simply a matter of not knowing what to expect.

Best of luck, and safe travels!

BTW: As you are on the east coast, remember to make sure you have no stops In New York. I wouldn't look at a plane that has New York written on it even if I was flying from North Dakota to Iowa. Don't even fly OVER New York or you'll probably be forced to land and be searched.

heckle

Yes, the case is pricey but it will not be only for travel, we will also be using it when we have to store in the car due to posted signs. Plus the added benefit of not having any key or combo that can be "given" to anyone. You want it opened, you need my finger.

Thanks for the info. I know that each airline has its own rules. I was just wondering if TSA at Nashville got (or gets) a little extra militant when guns are involved.

I will definitely have copies of the TSA regs and airlines rules printed out and handy.