• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving within the state of CT

mw2178

I have a question, I am moving from my parents house to an apartment for 6 months (temporary), do I have to notify the state of Connecticut(pistol permit) of the move even though I am not changing my permanent address with the DMV? My current address is Shelton but my apartment is in Norwalk.

Last edited:

CT Barfly

I have a question, I am moving from my parents house to an apartment for 6 months (temporary), do I have to notify the state of Connecticut(pistol permit) of the move even though I am not changing my permanent address with the DMV? My current address is Shelton but my apartment is in Norwalk.

NOTHING MORE. NOTHING LESS.

Change of Address
A person holding a state or local pistol permit is required to notify the issuing authority within two business days of ANY change of address. Persons holding state pistol permits may contact SLFU at (860) 685-8290 to update their address. The unit is open during normal business hours Monday through Friday of each week. A change of address may also be filed via E-mail at Special Licensing and Firearms Unit or by mailing a letter to Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, Division of State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT, 06457. Include your name, permit number, old address and new address.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
If his main residence has not changed then no need to contact them. 6 mos. is in the middle but given its temporary I would say, no he does not have to notify them.

Is the OP going to change his drivers license? Tax return return address?

heckle

If you are getting a lease (or will be getting mail or services) on an apartment, then you are changing your address. I honestly think you should notify them anyways, mail it in ceftified so you have proof. When you move back, notify them again.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you are getting a lease (or will be getting mail or services) on an apartment, then you are changing your address. I honestly think you should notify them anyways, mail it in ceftified so you have proof. When you move back, notify them again.

Well, he has to list his actual residence ... where he currently lives is not controlling ... residency questions can get complex.

CT Barfly

What is the reasoning behind NOT notifying them?

1. you'll be back to your permanent address anyways, and they already know where to find you.
2. there's a statute mandating notification of "ANY" change of address.

It just seems to me that there's not a whole lot to gain from not notifying, and plenty to lose.

As a practical matter, any correspondence from the DESPP regarding your permit status or firearms/LCM registration will need to reach you in a timely fashion as you may be required to timely respond. It's in your interest to ensure that the DESPP can get mail to you. Sometimes you are required to meet strict deadlines upon notification of any issues by DESPP...you definitely WANT to get their mail. Don't jack around with your license.

Some folks may take a different view...and they can take their chances. If you have a problem with sharing so much personal info, take it up with your elected representative.

Last edited: