• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cerakote

91 whiskey

Anyone know of any gunsmiths around the Grand Rapids area that do cerakoting? Bachelders preps the gun and then sends it to someone else. They are currently unable to take guns in for cerakoting because they don't have anyone to send it to right now.

Hevymetal

Not sure about the GR area, however I can recommend http://mrarms.com/more.html. He has done a few firearms I own and has done a GREAT job. Better then Cerakote if you ask me, more colors and a more resilient finish. Had the wife's .38 Diamondkoted pink as per her request, a .44 Mag Desert Eagle, an AR-15 and a Remington shotgun. All done on time on budget and no issues with the finishes.

He has mail in service available. Good turn around times and he actually stands behind the work he does. VERY few people get to handle my firearms for repair but Mike really knows his stuff and has never let me down.

Hevy

WalkingWolf

Many moons ago, about 30, I had some guns teflon coated at a business that coated industrial gears. They were first bead blasted, then degreased, after the finish was applied baked. From what I have read there is no reason this process cannot be done by the individual. I am considering coating our Glock to make it look new.

wizzi01

Many moons ago, about 30, I had some guns teflon coated at a business that coated industrial gears. They were first bead blasted, then degreased, after the finish was applied baked. From what I have read there is no reason this process cannot be done by the individual. I am considering coating our Glock to make it look new.

How did that coating hold up, and do you know the advantages of teflon coating? I never heard of it for a firearm so I am curious.

FreeInAZ

How did that coating hold up, and do you know the advantages of teflon coating? I never heard of it for a firearm so I am curious.

Well with one of the 50 round drum mags in a bump fired G17 - you can get the slide hot enough to cook individual slices of bacon. This means non stick cooking & shooting. :p

Seriously - this sounds like a promising idea IMHO.

WalkingWolf

Fantastic, this is a treatment that was used for industrial gears, not only did it prevent corrosion, it acted as a lubricant reducing the heat of the gears. The original telfon finish flowed into the pores of the metal. It the metal is treated correctly it will not come off, though it wears like any finish.

wizzi01

Well with one of the 50 round drum mags in a bump fired G17 - you can get the slide hot enough to cook individual slices of bacon. This means non stick cooking & shooting. :p

Seriously - this sounds like a promising idea IMHO.

Damn you making me hungry lol

wizzi01

Fantastic, this is a treatment that was used for industrial gears, not only did it prevent corrosion, it acted as a lubricant reducing the heat of the gears. The original telfon finish flowed into the pores of the metal. It the metal is treated correctly it will not come off, though it wears like any finish.

Thank you

New Cerakote Location

Hey guys,

New to the forum, but wanted to let you know about Grand Rapids only factory certified cerakote location. We'd be happy to help you out! Not sure if I can openly post my phone number on here, but check out our facebook page. It has all of our info there. Shoot us any questions you have.

https://www.facebook.com/WMCerakote

Thanks,

West Michigan Cerakote

Last edited: