• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit renewal question

Uber_Olafsun

Ok my permit expires in September of this year and trying to confirm what is required vs what Fairfax county says they need. I thought it was just one copy of the renewal paperwork a copy of my current permit and the payment part. Not the additional copies and self addressed envelope etc. can someone confirm this? Also I wanted to make sure the best time for renewal. Less than 180 but at least 45 days isn't it? I wanted to make sure the permit date started after the current one is done.

Uber_Olafsun

I was looking at that and got my 45 and 90 days mixed up. I just remember fairfax and the crap they pulled with we need multiple copies of this and the envelope. I am going to be mailing it in this time since going to the courthouse sucks.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
for renewal:
Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit are not required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit; the application for the new permit may be submitted via the United States mail. The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify the applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted is incorrect.
If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit

You can mail them your notarized permit application, a copy of you current permit, and renewal fee. If you apply within 90 to 180 days the new permit must be set with a effective date upon the expiration date of the existing permit. They must return your permit by mail within 45 days, the cost of the stamp is included in the renewal fee. Send with return receipt and that becomes proof they received the application.

Last edited:

TFred

I understand it's a pain to go in person. User has occasionally posted advice to the effect of take in two copies of your application, have them date-stamp both of them, and you keep one, proving the date it was submitted. If they don't return your permit in the allotted time, your copy can act as the de facto permit, I believe. I need to start bookmarking some of these posts for later reference!

Just as a practical matter, it doesn't make much sense to me to spend 3 bucks for a return receipt registered mail and then quibble over a 50 cent stamp. But I do understand the principle. :) I guess that's why I'd rather spend 50 times the value in time and travel to go there myself. Ha ha ha.

TFred

2a4all

for renewal:

You can mail them your notarized permit application, a copy of you current permit, and renewal fee. If you apply within 90 to 180 days the new permit must be set with a effective date upon the expiration date of the existing permit. They must return your permit by mail within 45 days, the cost of the stamp is included in the renewal fee. Send with return receipt and that becomes proof they received the application.

Read the application. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2013.pdf

A copy of your current permit isn't required. Check the "Renewal Box" at the top. Fill out the form, and answer the questions in Block M. The form doesn't require a copy of your current permit, and by law, clerks are limited to information required by the application.

To renew by mail, all you need to submit is the notarized application and your check.

§ 18.2-308.010. Renewal of concealed handgun permit.
A. 1. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in § 18.2-308.02, (This section limits the information the clerk can request, and since you've already submitted proof of competency, no additional proof can be required. The notion that a copy of your current permit identifies you is absurd, as nothing received via USPS can identify the actual sender. Besides, the application is notarized. The notary may ask for ID.)
§ 18.2-308.04. Processing of the application and issuance of a concealed handgun permit.
C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail ...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Read the application. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/download...for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2013.pdf

A copy of your current permit isn't required. Check the "Renewal Box" at the top. Fill out the form, and answer the questions in Block M. The form doesn't require a copy of your current permit, and by law, clerks are limited to information required by the application.

To renew by mail, all you need to submit is the notarized application and your check.

§ 18.2-308.010. Renewal of concealed handgun permit.
A. 1. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in § 18.2-308.02, (This section limits the information the clerk can request, and since you've already submitted proof of competency, no additional proof can be required. The notion that a copy of your current permit identifies you is absurd, as nothing received via USPS can identify the actual sender. Besides, the application is notarized. The notary may ask for ID.)
§ 18.2-308.04. Processing of the application and issuance of a concealed handgun permit.
C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail ...
Re copy of current permit.

This is a point where many of the legal professionals disagree with you. When mailing a renewal application, proof of training is still required - a copy of existing/prior permit satisfies that. Further compounding the problem is that the previous permit could have been acquired through a different Circuit Court.

It would appear that only statute wording clarification can resolve this.

grylnsmn

I submitted my renewal by mail in Fairfax back in September, using only what is required by law. My envelope contained my application (one copy only), the money order, and a one-page cover letter (which also provided the required list of addresses over the past 5 years, as I had moved).

I did not include a copy of my permit (the application asks for the court where it was issued, but not for a copy of it). As stated in 18.2-308.02(A), they can't ask for any documentation beyond what the official, VSP-created application states on it. As the application states that proof of competence is only required for initial applications, they cannot require any addition proof of competence (and 18.2-308.02(B) does not list a previously-issued CHP as an approved form of "proof of competence").

I also did not include a stamped envelope.

I got my renewed permit back by mail in about 35 days.

2a4all

Re copy of current permit.

This is a point where many of the legal professionals disagree with you. When mailing a renewal application, proof of training is still required - a copy of existing/prior permit satisfies that. Further compounding the problem is that the previous permit could have been acquired through a different Circuit Court.

It would appear that only statute wording clarification can resolve this.
Legal, Shmeegal. You are correct in that the existence of current or prior CHP satisfies the competency requirement, but the clerk can look it up, even if it was issued by a different court. (That's why the court name is requested.)

Like grylnsmn, I too submitted only my renewal application and a check, and had my permit in about 3 - 4 weeks. Before I sent it in, I called the clerk's office to be sure they were aware of the "early renewal" provision, and they glibly told me they'd need a copy of my current permit "to make sure I was whom I said I was". When I told them I was renewing by mail and that they could only require what the application asked, they said they could look up my current permit.