• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on the beach

Jiggles

First time posting here, just joined. But I'm no stranger to forums. Short intro for you guys, or skip down a coupe paragraphs for the question.

I just bought my first handgun a few days ago for the intent of protecting my new born baby boy, my fiancee, myself, others and just to have fun at a range. I picked up an immaculate FN Herstal FNS-9 for a good deal. I am in the process of acquiring a Concealed Carry Permit but wish to open carry in the meantime. I attended the class needed today, just need to pay the permit fee and wait for it in the mail. During my roughly 45 day wait id like to make sure i do all OC by the books. I'm fairly familiar with the laws here in Salem and I've gotten my first few OC experiences under my belt already.

Question:
Im taking my fiancee and baby to the beach today in a few hours, specifically to Newport but we will possibly travel through and stop briefly in Lincoln City, and Depot Bay on the way there and or the way home.

I know i can Not OC LOADED in NEWPORT. I havent seen a law saying i cant OC Loaded in Lincoln City, although im ok with it being unloaded with a magazine in my pocket to play it safe. But my main concern is:

CAN I OPEN CARRY WHILE IM ACTUALLY WALKING ON THE BEACH?

Also we plan to go to the Newport Aquarium as well. Any idea if im allowed to at minimum, OC Unloaded there? Is it public or private property?

I know i can OC unloaded in state parks, although im unsure if any of the beaches there are considered state parks. Really im just double checking. All,signs point to yes i can, but i want reassurance.

Im mainly looking for infor on carrying UNloaded. As im use to that since im from Salem.

Any help is appreciated and let me know if i need to clarify anything. Its late and im sleepy.

Hope to get some help withing a few hours before i head out for the trip.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Jiggles.

Others will be along shortly who are more familiar with the local landscape to answer your questions, but your queries do point out the need for total state preemption to level the playing field.

Jiggles

Well i went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium and asked to speak to a manager about open carry policies there. She daid since its a family type environment that they prefer people not open carry but they will not ask you to leave if you choose to.
Remeber, that since its in NEWPORT you still can NOT open carry a firearm LOADED.

Last edited:

LibertyAshland

Welcome to OCDO Jiggles.

Others will be along shortly who are more familiar with the local landscape to answer your questions, but your queries do point out the need for total state preemption to level the playing field.

Sadly, with the legislature in Oregon stacked as it is at the moment any "gun friendly" (that would be: "respecting the natural rights of the citizens whom the State serves", but I digress) legislation stands a cat in hell's chance of passing. But I couldn't agree more.

I suspect there's more chance of a test case somewhere validating the (obviously) intended constitutional protections of OC (only alluded to by omission in the Heller case) in a Federal Court. And may we pray for the longevity of the supreme justices that made recent rulings in favor of liberty!

PS - Congrats on the new addition Jiggles. There's nothing like the addition of precious new life to heighten one's sense of one's role as a protector and guardian is there?