• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive Shooting Course

HillbillyMack

Hello all. I am a new member to this form but a long time NC native. I know about open carry in NC but I would like to have a defencive shooting class for me and the miss's. I am between Jacksonville and Morehead and have found many concelled courses to take but I would prefer we could get a good course in first. I have hunted with a pistol and know how to handle it but the wife is a different story. So together we can learn/brush up on this together. I have found that others can teach her better then I can, and keeps peace in the house better also. LOL Any reckomendations would be wonderfull. Yes my spelling is not to good, free NC education lol.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Hello all. I am a new member to this form but a long time NC native. I know about open carry in NC but I would like to have a defencive shooting class for me and the miss's. I am between Jacksonville and Morehead and have found many concelled courses to take but I would prefer we could get a good course in first. I have hunted with a pistol and know how to handle it but the wife is a different story. So together we can learn/brush up on this together. I have found that others can teach her better then I can, and keeps peace in the house better also. LOL Any reckomendations would be wonderfull. Yes my spelling is not to good, free NC education lol.

If you go to the NRA Instructor's website (NRAInstructors.org)http://www.nrainstructors.org and click on "Find a Course", then scroll down to the bottom of the course listing, you'll find the NRA Defensive Pistol Course. There is currently listed one class listed for North Carolina, to be held on March 22nd in Mocksville, NC. The course description is:

This is a 4 hour course and will focus on the techniques needed to develop a defensive mindset. The goal of the course will be to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to carry and use a concealed handgun ethically, responsibly, and with confidence. As a result of participating in this course, the student will be able to explain and demonstrate the following: How to apply the NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling when carrying a concealed firearm, basic principles of concealment, difference between cover and concealment, drawing from the holster, reloading under stress, developing the proper mindset when using a pistol for personal protection, clearing common stoppages, and more. Visit our website at: WWW.Paladingroupnc.com. Our two hour “Weapons Retention” course can be added to this course for $35.00​

If you are not close to Mocksville you can enter your zipcode and a distance parameter (for example, 100 miles) and it will show you all of the classes for that course being taught within 100 miles of your zipcode.

You might also consider having her take the NRA Basic Pistol course prior to taking Defensive Pistol. That course seems to be taught more often than Defensive Pistol in most areas.

Good luck with your training...

Last edited:

solus

welcome to the forum

james provided a good site to begin your quest..

ipse