Thread: Police Using Data Concerning Lawful Gun Ownership to Up Scrutiny, Tactics. NRA-ILA

Police Using Data Concerning Lawful Gun Ownership to Up Scrutiny, Tactics. NRA-ILA

"Police Using Data Concerning Lawful Gun Ownership to Ratchet Up Scrutiny, Escalate Tactics Posted on February 7, 2014

In recent years much progress has been made in protecting the privacy of gun owners by restricting access to gun licensing and right-to-carry permit data, with a majority of states now limiting the availability of this information to law enforcement officers for official use. Unfortunately, two recent incidents have highlighted how government data indicating firearm ownership can be used by law enforcement officials as justification to escalate encounters with gun owners.

The latest episode took place February 4th in Des Moines, Iowa, during the execution of a search warrant by the police department of Ankeny, Iowa, on the residence of concealed carry permit holder Justin Ross and his mother Sally Prince. The search warrant was for electronics and clothes police allege are connected to a case of credit card fraud.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...e-tactics.aspx

Now the NRA is counting isolated incidents.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    More and more are realizing the cry of police state was justified and are opening their eyes to the dismay of the apologist who deny it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    SNIP...Now the NRA is counting isolated incidents.
    In the ("hard") sciences, aren't ALL data points "isolated incidents"? Only when you take into account the constant variables involved and a tendency for a certain outcome to occur does it become a trend. Maybe pointing this out to any state apologists would ease their fears of "you" (in the general sense) not using the correct terminology. If they choose to split hairs about terminology, that is.
    So you can answer their "It's an isolated incident" with something like "just one more that supports the overwhelming trend."

OT: I'll say what I've said more than a handful of times over the last five years: trusting [insert statist or government authority] with their [power or influence] is like trusting Bill Clinton as a sorority den mother, a crackhead in the medicine room of the hospital, or trusting Rosy O'Donut to transport your food to you. Any potential outcomes are to be expected.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 02-15-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    In the ("hard") sciences, aren't ALL data points "isolated incidents"? Only when you take into account the constant variables involved and a tendency for a certain outcome to occur does it become a trend.
    Very good observation and in an area that I have studied a bit.

Establishing a trend from data points is induction and inductive inference. The problem is in the Black Swan that is perfectly capable of hiding between the data, hiding in the complexity, the variables, that we smooth and rationalize into a tendency.

My instructor in this area is Nassim Nicholas Taleb, at Thanksgiving he told an instructive story. For a thousand days the farmer feeds the turkey, each feeding a confirmation of turkey Utopia. On the thousand and first day, the day before Thanksgiving, the turkey meets his Black Swan in the form of the farmer's axe. Taleb's best popular book is The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bl...282007_book%29

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Swan-Imp.../dp/1400063515
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.