• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ID Panels

Slade McCuiston

I come from a police family (though I am NOT a LEO) and I have always thought that CCW/CCDW/CHP/CHL badges were going to get someone arrested for impersonating. The "ARMED" sashes are ... yeah. I'm not wearing that. But, they have jackets out with ID panels (such as 5.11). The typical use for the ID panels, of course, is so that an officer can pull down the panel in an event and it read, "SHERIFF" or "POLICE." I've been wondering if it wouldn't be the best solution (at least in the winter) if you want to be able to ID yourself during/after a shooting to have an ID panel that says "CCW" or something (I don't know what term you'd use for Open Carrying). Anyone got any ideas they'd like to toss around? I know the idea of ID has been beaten like the proverbial dead horse, but I think this is worth a look.

Slade McCuiston

I must not have been clear. The panel is hidden until you pull it out of the flap. I OC as well, but I could see it as a good way to tell the cops, "I'm a good guy!" if they roll up and you're shooting.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I must not have been clear. The panel is hidden until you pull it out of the flap. I OC as well, but I could see it as a good way to tell the cops, "I'm a good guy!" if they roll up and you're shooting.

And how are they to know you are a "good guy" just because you are displaying a badge or a panel? Only law abiding citizens can buy such things? Really?

Seems to me that when the police "roll up" everyone with a gun is a potential bad guy until they sort things out.

Slade McCuiston

I never said only the "good guys" would have the ID panels, but when is the last time a shooter went on a rampage utilizing such tools? Under your logic, I shouldn't have a gun because they might have one too. Nevermind, all you guys want to do is bash people and ideas anyway.

Fuller Malarkey

I never said only the "good guys" would have the ID panels, but when is the last time a shooter went on a rampage utilizing such tools? Under your logic, I shouldn't have a gun because they might have one too. Nevermind, all you guys want to do is bash people and ideas anyway.

Now, now, don't go get in a snit. I've heard dumber ideas.

It's been a while ago though. :lol:

Get two things straight.....there are two things in this world that are not your friend.

One is Mr. Hand Grenade once you pull the pin.

Number two is a cop rolling up on you during a firefight.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

Keep in mind, there's cops out there that would take you out for a 5.11 coat as quick as MS13 would for a North Face.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Bad guys usually don't hang out around the scene of the crime either.

Cops and government need to just stop getting their panties in a bunch about their employers being armed.

Rusty Young Man

Bad guys usually don't hang out around the scene of the crime either.

Cops and government need to just stop getting their panties in a bunch about their employers being armed.

They first need to remember (be reminded?) that "the people" are the employers, not targets.

@Nightmare: I would be open to wearing "dark-blue jackets emblazoned back and breast in yellow POLITE" as a gag, just like how another poster carried a badge on his belt that read "DUMBA$$" and got a chuckle from a cop.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

And how are they to know you are a "good guy" just because you are displaying a badge or a panel? Only law abiding citizens can buy such things? Really?

Seems to me that when the police "roll up" everyone with a gun is a potential bad guy until they sort things out.

Only good guys can get blue uniforms? Badges? Kevlar vests with velcro? Velco attachments that say "police," "Sherrif's Department," etc? A black and white paint job on their car? Light bars? Sirens? etc. etc. etc. All are pretty easy to get. I've personally had access to several of the afore mentioned items. Police have been impersonated numerous times, I'm sure we don't need to post specific examples... So no, proclaiming that you're a good guy by any means, even wearing a badge, doesn't necessarily remove all doubt, but, if there's any chance it could help why not do it? Carrying a gun doesn't by any means ensure you'll survive an attack. You carry a gun because it increases your chances. Will wearing an identifier such as "law abiding citizen" or "self-defender" or some other such identifier increase your chances of being shot by a cop rolling up on a "situation?" I don't see that as being likely, so I don't see any particular reason to not try to identify yourself as a good guy even if it won't have a 100% success rate of removing all doubt.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In that I own and wear various coats/jackets, it doesn't seem pratical to have them all equiped with pull down panels.

Maybe if I knew when the SHTF would occur, I could dress out for it. You think?

Firearms Iinstuctor

This response isn't about a every day encounter it about having your gun out or having had to use it.

Unless what you wearing would be easily recognized by the local LE agency as a friendly you are going to be treated as a threat by the responding LEOs. Even as a known off duty LEO or under cover officer as to be very careful when the uniforms arrive.

There are things that one can do to lessen your chances of getting shot. First of put your firearm away if tactically sound. If you get challenge by responding officers OBEBY their commands DO NOT SUDDENLY TURN towards them.

They really don't know that your a good guy If you are covering a BG tell them so tell them you well set your weapon down or away as soon as they can cover the BG. If they are not listening to you obey them getting shot by them is just as bad as getting shot by the BG.

Don't have your weapon out unless it is absolutely necessary. Don't assume they well recognize you as a good guy.

If you are on the phone with the 911 operator tell them you are armed tell them what you are wearing stay on the phone if possible.

There can and are many variables that come into play when the uniforms arrive on the scene don't set your self up to be shot mistakenly.

One of the worse things to think is I am the good guy why are they telling me to put my gun down.

Why are they telling me not to move, why are they telling be to get on the ground and spread my arms and legs.

BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW YOUR A GOOD GUY.

When the guns are out and pointed at you .

It is not the time to be uppity about its my RIGHT I am the good guy here , that could very well get you shot.

Remember the BGs all do not all wear a black hoodies and the GGs don't always wear blaze orange shirts with good guy on them.

It is even worse if the lighting is poor it can make even harder to recognize the GGs from the bad guys.

Be responsible don't be stupid.

Fuller Malarkey

This response isn't about a every day encounter it about having your gun out or having had to use it.

Unless what you wearing would be easily recognized by the local LE agency as a friendly you are going to be treated as a threat by the responding LEOs. Even as a known off duty LEO or under cover officer as to be very careful when the uniforms arrive.

There are things that one can do to lessen your chances of getting shot. First of put your firearm away if tactically sound. If you get challenge by responding officers OBEBY their commands DO NOT SUDDENLY TURN towards them.

They really don't know that your a good guy If you are covering a BG tell them so tell them you well set your weapon down or away as soon as they can cover the BG. If they are not listening to you obey them getting shot by them is just as bad as getting shot by the BG.

Don't have your weapon out unless it is absolutely necessary. Don't assume they well recognize you as a good guy.

If you are on the phone with the 911 operator tell them you are armed tell them what you are wearing stay on the phone if possible.

There can and are many variables that come into play when the uniforms arrive on the scene don't set your self up to be shot mistakenly.

One of the worse things to think is I am the good guy why are they telling me to put my gun down.

Why are they telling me not to move, why are they telling be to get on the ground and spread my arms and legs.

BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW YOUR A GOOD GUY.

When the guns are out and pointed at you .

It is not the time to be uppity about its my RIGHT I am the good guy here , that could very well get you shot.

Remember the BGs all do not all wear a black hoodies and the GGs don't always wear blaze orange shirts with good guy on them.

It is even worse if the lighting is poor it can make even harder to recognize the GGs from the bad guys.

Be responsible don't be stupid.

Oh, by all means, allow the cops to put you in a light to indicate guilt until you prove you are innocent. All that nonsense about "your rights" has been suspended in the name of "officer safety". See, under that guise, it makes the job easier for the low functioning. Their authority isn't based on discovery, or indications of your involvement in a crime. It's based on the deceitful acquisition of the authority to use violent force, or the threat of violent force. That's pretty much what this quoted post implies......comply or else. Rights be damned, they have legislated a way around all that.

OC for ME

The dead gain no redress. Reader's Digest version: You don't want to get shot by a cop? Do exactly what the cop(s) tell you to do and you might survive the encounter.