Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: "No Guns" businesses in Eugene

  1. #1
    Regular Member DaveT319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    283

    "No Guns" businesses in Eugene

    Being new to OC in Eugene, I was wondering what places around here have the "no guns" stickers, or otherwise have a policy against OC or CC? So far I have not seen any such stickers at the places I've been to, but figure it's only matter of time before I come across one, and it might be nice to know ahead of time about some.

  2. #2
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748
    Joann Fabrics on Green Acres Rd is the only place I've seen a no-guns sign in Eugene. Their sign is particularly ridiculous because it quotes Ohio state law. Neither the manager there nor corporate seems to be bothered by this fact.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Joann Fabrics on Green Acres Rd is the only place I've seen a no-guns sign in Eugene. Their sign is particularly ridiculous because it quotes Ohio state law. Neither the manager there nor corporate seems to be bothered by this fact.

    Just a make me feel good sign that most likely has no legal standing because it quotes the wrong statute.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  4. #4
    Regular Member We-the-People's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    White City, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Just a make me feel good sign that most likely has no legal standing because it quotes the wrong statute.
    Actually, no gun signs in Oregon do not have the force of law regardless of the wording. They must trespass you, and you then refuse to leave, before there is a legal issue in this state.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

  5. #5
    Regular Member DaveT319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    283
    Is Costco on the list? Someone in another thread says they are, but I didn't notice any such sign the last time I was there...

  6. #6
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    Costco has no signs, just a deeply buried corporate policy which is not enforced in all stores.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Scappoose, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    394
    Maybe check here:

    http://friendorfoe.us/

  8. #8
    Regular Member DaveT319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Costco has no signs, just a deeply buried corporate policy which is not enforced in all stores.
    Then I guess I'll just claim ignorance until told otherwise by them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddin99 View Post
    Maybe check here:

    http://friendorfoe.us/
    Thanks for that. I'll check it out in the morning.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    691
    I have OCd in Costco in Medford with no issues. Eugene and Medford however are 2 different "Oregon's". No signage in Eugene, go for it, all they can do is ask you to leave/take your firearm to your vehicle.

  10. #10
    Regular Member DaveT319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    283
    Follow-up question: I have seen, in the case of Costco, where the carrier has been asked to cover their weapon, rather than just being asked to leave. Now, suppose that carrier does not have a CHL. Would they then be breaking the law? Or since it's a private club (their reasoning for being able to make a "no guns" policy), can they just CC without a permit while they're in the store, and resume OC once they leave?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
    Follow-up question: I have seen, in the case of Costco, where the carrier has been asked to cover their weapon, rather than just being asked to leave. Now, suppose that carrier does not have a CHL. Would they then be breaking the law? Or since it's a private club (their reasoning for being able to make a "no guns" policy), can they just CC without a permit while they're in the store, and resume OC once they leave?


    Nope. If you do not have a CHL. You cannot carry concealed simply because the store wants you to. The store does not have more power than the law. Their no-guns signs do not carry force of law. I don't have a CHL in and I OC in Eugene a lot. Generally people don't seem to freak out here if you dress nice.

  12. #12
    Regular Member DaveT319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    283
    That's what I figured.

  13. #13
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by catastrophic_success View Post
    Nope. If you do not have a CHL. You cannot carry concealed simply because the store wants you to. The store does not have more power than the law. Their no-guns signs do not carry force of law. I don't have a CHL in and I OC in Eugene a lot. Generally people don't seem to freak out here if you dress nice.
    Doesn't matter if you "dress nice", just act normal and 99% of people will treat you like you are normal.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  14. #14
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
    Follow-up question: I have seen, in the case of Costco, where the carrier has been asked to cover their weapon, rather than just being asked to leave. Now, suppose that carrier does not have a CHL. Would they then be breaking the law? Or since it's a private club (their reasoning for being able to make a "no guns" policy), can they just CC without a permit while they're in the store, and resume OC once they leave?
    Even if I had my CPL on me I would call them out on it.
    Employee: "Sir, could you cover that up?"
    Me: I'm sorry, could you repeat that? Are you directing me to commit a crime? If so I may have to call the police, your name is what again? (start pulling out phone)
    Emp: Uh, uh, uh what stammer stammer.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by catastrophic_success View Post
    Nope. If you do not have a CHL. You cannot carry concealed simply because the store wants you to. The store does not have more power than the law. Their no-guns signs do not carry force of law. I don't have a CHL in and I OC in Eugene a lot. Generally people don't seem to freak out here if you dress nice.
    It's private property. Makes me wonder, is a person not allowed to CC in their own home or business either?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    28
    I called Costco`s corp. office and talked to a rep there at this number General Member Service: 1-800-774-2678 and was told and she read the policy to me over the phone and they do not allow any firearms in any Costco store in any state except for law enforcement.
    Any manager in any store who allows someone to carry a firearm in the store is breaking Costco policy and should be reported to corp. HQ, this is what I was told.
    My self, I would just cc my weapon and no one will no for I carry for my protection any ways.
    Last edited by Dave H.; 02-27-2014 at 02:27 PM.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
    I called Costco`s corp. office and talked to a rep there at this number General Member Service: 1-800-774-2678 and was told and she read the policy to me over the phone and they do not allow any firearms in any Costco store in any state except for law enforcement.
    Any manager in any store who allows someone to carry a firearm in the store is breaking Costco policy and should be reported to corp. HQ, this is what I was told.
    My self, I would just cc my weapon and no one will no for I carry for my protection any ways.

    Well I OC'd in Medford Costco again just yesterday and was not accosted. I have a feeling location dictates individual Costco stores adherence to "Corporate policy". Plenty of instances of local WalMarts breaking their corporate policy and hassling OCers.

  18. #18
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
    Is Costco on the list? Someone in another thread says they are, but I didn't notice any such sign the last time I was there...
    you know DaveT, i find it quite interesting in a thread you started, you asked the question about costco, got a specific quote from Costco by a member and then you go start yet another thread, ask the same question yet again and receive the same answer, then you have the audacity to state:

    quote DaveT319: Then I guess I'll just claim ignorance until told otherwise by them. unquote

    Personal Firearms/Guns In Costco Stores
    Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

    Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

    Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

    https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/...RTICLE_ID=2837

    my pappy used to say...if you do not like the answer(S) you are getting don't ask the question!

    you are on an open forum davet and if you do something stupid in costco (or any place else for that matter since your words across the forum seem to show you feel you can do whatever you wish) and your bum gets in front of a judicial proceeding...you do not believe the prosecutor would use every post you have put out here as evidence against you?

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 03-02-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Regular Member Tackleberry1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Camas
    Posts
    88

    Exclamation

    ...a bit of a stretch.

    The only "evidence" provided is that "someone on the internet" advised him that he was violating Cosco policy. The worst that could happen is being trespassed or "GASP" Having his Cosco membership revoked. EEK!

    Tack

    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    you know DaveT, i find it quite interesting in a thread you started, you asked the question about costco, got a specific quote from Costco by a member and then you go start yet another thread, ask the same question yet again and receive the same answer, then you have the audacity to state:

    quote DaveT319: Then I guess I'll just claim ignorance until told otherwise by them. unquote

    Personal Firearms/Guns In Costco Stores
    Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

    Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

    Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

    https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/...RTICLE_ID=2837

    my pappy used to say...if you do not like the answer(S) you are getting don't ask the question!

    you are on an open forum davet and if you do something stupid in costco (or any place else for that matter since your words across the forum seem to show you feel you can do whatever you wish) and your bum gets in front of a judicial proceeding...you do not believe the prosecutor would use every post you have put out here as evidence against you?

    ipse

  20. #20
    Regular Member Tackleberry1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Camas
    Posts
    88
    ...and Chuck E Cheese clearly posts large gun buster signs at their front door. Noticed this last night as I walked in to celebrate my youngest child's 3rd birthday.

    Did I do an about face and lock my CC EDC in the car? Hell no! I gave it the same consideration the next nut job looking for a soft target would give it. I strolled right in without a second thought.

    Tack

  21. #21
    Regular Member DaveT319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    283
    I have no kids, so I doubt I'll be going to Chuck E Cheese anytime soon.

    And in your position, it's much easier to enter with your firearm because it's concealed. They'd probably never know you have it. With open carry, I'm sure they'd notice.

  22. #22
    Regular Member DaveT319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    you know DaveT, i find it quite interesting in a thread you started, you asked the question about costco, got a specific quote from Costco by a member and then you go start yet another thread, ask the same question yet again and receive the same answer...
    I started another thread because I didn't want to take it off on too much of a tangent.

    And in hindsight, I should have just done a search rather than start a thread.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    It's private property. Makes me wonder, is a person not allowed to CC in their own home or business either?
    I am not a lawyer. But oregon law states that you may keep a concealed weapon at your buisness IF you are an owner, or a co-owner.

    You are also allowed to keep a concealed weapon at your house. But im not sure if it says anything about it being on your person or not.

  24. #24
    Regular Member We-the-People's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    White City, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by catastrophic_success View Post
    I am not a lawyer. But oregon law states that you may keep a concealed weapon at your buisness IF you are an owner, or a co-owner.

    You are also allowed to keep a concealed weapon at your house. But im not sure if it says anything about it being on your person or not.

    ORS 166.250 is where you will find the legal prohibitions on carrying concealed.

    NO WHERE does it grant an exception for carrying concealed in your home or business.

    166.250 covers "Unlawful Possession"
    166.250(1)(a) states: (a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

    166.250(2)(b) states: (b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

    While you might argue at trial that your concealed (in your home or business) firearm was legal under 166.250(2)(b), it is unlikely that you would win. The court is most likely to note that the legislature did not chose to include the word "conceal" within 166.250(2)(b) (and did use it elsewhere for exemptions) thus interpreting the law against you.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •