• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Guns" businesses in Eugene

DaveT319

Being new to OC in Eugene, I was wondering what places around here have the "no guns" stickers, or otherwise have a policy against OC or CC? So far I have not seen any such stickers at the places I've been to, but figure it's only matter of time before I come across one, and it might be nice to know ahead of time about some.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Joann Fabrics on Green Acres Rd is the only place I've seen a no-guns sign in Eugene. Their sign is particularly ridiculous because it quotes Ohio state law. Neither the manager there nor corporate seems to be bothered by this fact.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Joann Fabrics on Green Acres Rd is the only place I've seen a no-guns sign in Eugene. Their sign is particularly ridiculous because it quotes Ohio state law. Neither the manager there nor corporate seems to be bothered by this fact.

Just a make me feel good sign that most likely has no legal standing because it quotes the wrong statute.

DaveT319

Is Costco on the list? Someone in another thread says they are, but I didn't notice any such sign the last time I was there...

Jeff. State

Banned
I have OCd in Costco in Medford with no issues. Eugene and Medford however are 2 different "Oregon's". No signage in Eugene, go for it, all they can do is ask you to leave/take your firearm to your vehicle.

DaveT319

Follow-up question: I have seen, in the case of Costco, where the carrier has been asked to cover their weapon, rather than just being asked to leave. Now, suppose that carrier does not have a CHL. Would they then be breaking the law? Or since it's a private club (their reasoning for being able to make a "no guns" policy), can they just CC without a permit while they're in the store, and resume OC once they leave?

catastrophic_success

Follow-up question: I have seen, in the case of Costco, where the carrier has been asked to cover their weapon, rather than just being asked to leave. Now, suppose that carrier does not have a CHL. Would they then be breaking the law? Or since it's a private club (their reasoning for being able to make a "no guns" policy), can they just CC without a permit while they're in the store, and resume OC once they leave?

Nope. If you do not have a CHL. You cannot carry concealed simply because the store wants you to. The store does not have more power than the law. Their no-guns signs do not carry force of law. I don't have a CHL in and I OC in Eugene a lot. Generally people don't seem to freak out here if you dress nice.

ron73440

Nope. If you do not have a CHL. You cannot carry concealed simply because the store wants you to. The store does not have more power than the law. Their no-guns signs do not carry force of law. I don't have a CHL in and I OC in Eugene a lot. Generally people don't seem to freak out here if you dress nice.

Doesn't matter if you "dress nice", just act normal and 99% of people will treat you like you are normal.

golddigger14s

Activist Member

Even if I had my CPL on me I would call them out on it.
Employee: "Sir, could you cover that up?"
Me: I'm sorry, could you repeat that? Are you directing me to commit a crime? If so I may have to call the police, your name is what again? (start pulling out phone)
Emp: Uh, uh, uh what stammer stammer.

Jeff. State

Banned

It's private property. Makes me wonder, is a person not allowed to CC in their own home or business either?

Dave H.

I called Costco`s corp. office and talked to a rep there at this number General Member Service: 1-800-774-2678 and was told and she read the policy to me over the phone and they do not allow any firearms in any Costco store in any state except for law enforcement.
Any manager in any store who allows someone to carry a firearm in the store is breaking Costco policy and should be reported to corp. HQ, this is what I was told.
My self, I would just cc my weapon and no one will no for I carry for my protection any ways.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
I called Costco`s corp. office and talked to a rep there at this number General Member Service: 1-800-774-2678 and was told and she read the policy to me over the phone and they do not allow any firearms in any Costco store in any state except for law enforcement.
Any manager in any store who allows someone to carry a firearm in the store is breaking Costco policy and should be reported to corp. HQ, this is what I was told.
My self, I would just cc my weapon and no one will no for I carry for my protection any ways.

Well I OC'd in Medford Costco again just yesterday and was not accosted. I have a feeling location dictates individual Costco stores adherence to "Corporate policy". Plenty of instances of local WalMarts breaking their corporate policy and hassling OCers.

solus

Is Costco on the list? Someone in another thread says they are, but I didn't notice any such sign the last time I was there...

you know DaveT, i find it quite interesting in a thread you started, you asked the question about costco, got a specific quote from Costco by a member and then you go start yet another thread, ask the same question yet again and receive the same answer, then you have the audacity to state:

quote DaveT319: Then I guess I'll just claim ignorance until told otherwise by them. unquote

Personal Firearms/Guns In Costco Stores
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/...RTICLE_ID=2837

my pappy used to say...if you do not like the answer(S) you are getting don't ask the question!

you are on an open forum davet and if you do something stupid in costco (or any place else for that matter since your words across the forum seem to show you feel you can do whatever you wish) and your bum gets in front of a judicial proceeding...you do not believe the prosecutor would use every post you have put out here as evidence against you?

ipse

Last edited:

Tackleberry1

...a bit of a stretch.

The only "evidence" provided is that "someone on the internet" advised him that he was violating Cosco policy. The worst that could happen is being trespassed or "GASP" Having his Cosco membership revoked. EEK!

Tack

you know DaveT, i find it quite interesting in a thread you started, you asked the question about costco, got a specific quote from Costco by a member and then you go start yet another thread, ask the same question yet again and receive the same answer, then you have the audacity to state:

quote DaveT319: Then I guess I'll just claim ignorance until told otherwise by them. unquote

Personal Firearms/Guns In Costco Stores
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/...RTICLE_ID=2837

my pappy used to say...if you do not like the answer(S) you are getting don't ask the question!

you are on an open forum davet and if you do something stupid in costco (or any place else for that matter since your words across the forum seem to show you feel you can do whatever you wish) and your bum gets in front of a judicial proceeding...you do not believe the prosecutor would use every post you have put out here as evidence against you?

ipse

Tackleberry1

...and Chuck E Cheese clearly posts large gun buster signs at their front door. Noticed this last night as I walked in to celebrate my youngest child's 3rd birthday.

Did I do an about face and lock my CC EDC in the car? Hell no! I gave it the same consideration the next nut job looking for a soft target would give it. I strolled right in without a second thought.

Tack