• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Guns" businesses in Eugene

DaveT319

I have no kids, so I doubt I'll be going to Chuck E Cheese anytime soon.

And in your position, it's much easier to enter with your firearm because it's concealed. They'd probably never know you have it. With open carry, I'm sure they'd notice.

DaveT319

you know DaveT, i find it quite interesting in a thread you started, you asked the question about costco, got a specific quote from Costco by a member and then you go start yet another thread, ask the same question yet again and receive the same answer...

I started another thread because I didn't want to take it off on too much of a tangent.

And in hindsight, I should have just done a search rather than start a thread.

catastrophic_success

It's private property. Makes me wonder, is a person not allowed to CC in their own home or business either?

I am not a lawyer. But oregon law states that you may keep a concealed weapon at your buisness IF you are an owner, or a co-owner.

You are also allowed to keep a concealed weapon at your house. But im not sure if it says anything about it being on your person or not.

We-the-People

I am not a lawyer. But oregon law states that you may keep a concealed weapon at your buisness IF you are an owner, or a co-owner.

You are also allowed to keep a concealed weapon at your house. But im not sure if it says anything about it being on your person or not.

ORS 166.250 is where you will find the legal prohibitions on carrying concealed.

NO WHERE does it grant an exception for carrying concealed in your home or business.

166.250 covers "Unlawful Possession"
166.250(1)(a) states: (a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

166.250(2)(b) states: (b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

While you might argue at trial that your concealed (in your home or business) firearm was legal under 166.250(2)(b), it is unlikely that you would win. The court is most likely to note that the legislature did not chose to include the word "conceal" within 166.250(2)(b) (and did use it elsewhere for exemptions) thus interpreting the law against you.