Thread: Custom "gunsmith" sues forum and poster for bad review.

Custom "gunsmith" sues forum and poster for bad review.

There isn't much details as of yet, but (as I understand it) Tactical Rifles of Florida is suing Marc Soulie of Spartan Precision Rifles for the "Bad out of the Box" youtube review.

Also named in the suit is the owners and moderator of Sniper's Hide, and Sniper's Hide LLC for allowing this bad review and others to be posted on their forum.

The boys over at SH seems to be pretty hard on TR.net and David Rooney (owner of TR.net), but it seems to be substantiated claims.

Expensive firearms (even for custom jobs), long wait times, poor craftsmanship, and bad customer service seems to be norm, according to SH posters.

This lawsuit seems to be very thinly stretched. Someone posts a bad review with support on a forum, time to get the lawyers involved.

SH Defense fund, and more of the story.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Maybe TR could put that money used for lawyers into quality control. The only problem I saw with the video was the title. Saying bad out of the box was not needed, just let the video speak for itself. But the reviewer/machinist certainly backed up the title.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-15-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Online reviews are subject to a civil suit ... the truth is an ultimate perfect defense. They'll have to prove a) that they disparaged something b) that it was false c) that they suffered an injury d) how much that injury was

Most folks don't bother ... especially businesses who don't want to air out and have the issue in the forefront for years.

I don't think I've ever seen a new firearm in the shape that one was in. If I bought a weapon, dissembled it for cleaning/lubing, and it looked like that, I'd be looking for my money back.

Personal opinion: I don't think TR has a legal leg to stand on. This case will probably be tossed.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

That was so bad that I thought might be a joke.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    The case should be dismissed on a Civil Rule 12(b)(6) motion - failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.

A plaintiff's obligation is to provide the grounds of his entitlement for relief. The complaint requires more than labels and conclusions, or a recitation of the elements of a cause of action will not do. Factual allegations must be enough to raise a right for relief above the speculative level, on the assumption that all the allegations in the complaint are true.

Considering there is video documentary evidence to support every claim he made in that video, I doubt this suit will go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Considering there is video documentary evidence to support every claim he made in that video, I doubt this suit will go anywhere.
    I doubt it would either, but it is something I am going to keep an eye on.

I have seen things go the complete opposite than the way that reason would have thought it would.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

I wonder how many other people have only seen this review because of the suit against it. Bad move.

And folks thought Kelo would be a slam dunk in favor of Mrs. Kelo.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Some people

Paul Reed Smith if I can recall the story, wanted to make guitars, he made one sent it to Ted Nugent who said it was a horrible piece of *&$%. Paul Reed Smith made his guitars different and now I wish I could afford one of his great sounding well made beautiful guitars. He learned from criticism.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

If you guys want a good, long related read, check out the drama regarding Smith Enterprise, Inc., suing one of their customers.

SEI, once a serious maker of custom M14 rifles and accessories, has lost a LOT of big-money customers over it, and is still going to lose, as they don't know when to cut their losses.

http://m14forum.com/feedback/145566-...uit-today.html
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Take a look at this: http://ftf-comics.com/?comic=tactical-rifles-inc

With the kind of negative exposure Tactical Rifles is getting, they can either clean up their act or fold up their act.

Btw, the link to the M14 Forum requires a login. Not today, thanks.
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    ... the link to the M14 Forum requires a login. Not today, thanks.
    Oops, I forgot we moved it to the members-only section because of its nature.

You can Google "SEI lawsuit", and you will be amazed.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Oops, I forgot we moved it to the members-only section because of its nature.

You can Google "SEI lawsuit", and you will be amazed.
    I did and I was. SEI has shot itself in the foot bigtime! There were a host of comments from people who said that they would not patronize a company that sued its customers and quite a few saying they would send the money they were planning on using for an SEI product to Dr. Hammond to defend the lawsuit.

Banned
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9iyxe7ejmw...8Doc_21%29.PDF

SEI's response to defendant's motion to dismiss..if anyone wants to read it