• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The added benefit

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Whoopee:uhoh:

Va-Alerts:

NOTES ON LIFETIME CHPS

Senator Carrico’s lifetime CHP bill, SB 608, is alive and well in the House. VCDL is working with Senator Carrico to fix some problems with the bill as introduced. In its original form we oppose the bill. However, if we can get the bugs worked out of it, we will be changing our position on it accordingly.

The bill has the added benefit that CHP holders will not have to go through NICS checks when buying firearms anymore. That’s because the lifetime permit holders will get an automatic NICS check run on them every year.

I’ll keep you posted as the bill pr
ogress

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah, is that a benefit or a punishment?

To some it's a benefit.....

For others it's seen as a giant step (as opposed to baby steps) to a state purchase permit.

Is the koolaid glass half empty or half full?:uhoh:

2a4all

To some it's a benefit.....

For others it's seen as a giant step (as opposed to baby steps) to a state purchase permit.

Is the koolaid glass half empty or half full?:uhoh:
I have mixed feelings about the annual background check. If an annual check is such a good idea, why isn't being done now? I think I read somewhere that Kentucky does this monthly. Basically, this so-called lifetime permit becomes an annual conditional permit. Oh, wait: This might unearth an attempted identity theft of the permitee.

I don't see that the holder of such a permit skipping Virginia B/G checks when purchasing a firearm is an equitable trade off.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
At one time [FONT=Georgia, serif]Belladonna was a popular beauty aid. It was also a popular hallucinogenic for people like witch cults.

After it was used to poison an entire invading army I suppose people figured out it probably wasn't good for them despite what some said. That realization came a little late for those that died.

History repeats itself, the poisons just change.
[/FONT]

AFCop

Here is an idea... flow with federal guidelines and do it every 5 years... Still qualifies for the NIC exemption...

Thundar

Be Careful What You Wish For

I do not like CHPs. That being said,

one of the few good things about CHPs is that they are administered by a circuit court t, not a Richmond bureaucrat. Why would anyone be OK with giving the state police the power to destroy CHPs?

Unneeded, and for many, an absolutely unwanted change.

CHiPpers will regret what is being foisted upon them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

one of the few good things about CHPs is that they are administered by a circuit court t, not a Richmond bureaucrat. Why would anyone be OK with giving the state police the power to destroy CHPs?

I agree Thundar!

How could any rational person think this is good.

This is exactly what Lauri Haas and Goddard have been asking for for years. Massive control of guns. Once a State Purchase Permit system is in place the next logical step is to close the so called Gunshow loophole. Obviously FTF sales aren't needed since everyone will have been pre-approved.

But then again, people will be smiling away in the pot while the water comes to a boil because they will have a lifetime permission slip.

Roverhound

This is along the lines of the federal gubmint and the all state CHP acceptance bill. Do we really want the feds to keep track of our CHP?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm relieved to see some of us actually see that forest growing behind those pesky trees.:uhoh:

This bill is hardly anything to support or brag about.

wylde007

one of the few good things about CHPs is that they are administered by a circuit court, not a Richmond bureaucrat.
That's better how, exactly?

If you had recently been the subject of VBGDC witchhunt under 18.2-308.09 and .013 you might change your tune.

:monkey

Thundar

That's better how, exactly?

If you had recently been the subject of VBGDC witchhunt under 18.2-308.09 and .013 you might change your tune.

:monkey

There are some in the circuit courts with a Napoleon complex, sorry you have been the victim of one of them.

The state police already have significant power over guns with the administration of out of state CHPs and State background checks for the purchase of firearms from a dealer.

The chief justice of the Virginia Supreme Court oversees the circuit courts. Guess who oversees the commander of the State Police - yup, Terry.

wylde007

I Said "Subject"

Not victim. ;)

Presently, because of the wording of the statute(s) I kept my CHP. The judge was not necessarily happy about it, but said the language was clear, even if the intent was not.

Just another good reason to eliminate the permit process altogether.

Thundar

Not victim. ;)

Presently, because of the wording of the statute(s) I kept my CHP. The judge was not necessarily happy about it, but said the language was clear, even if the intent was not.

Just another good reason to eliminate the permit process altogether.

Did not mean to offend. I stand corrected subject not victim.

Any thoughts on why I think circuit court is better than state police for administration?

Fully agree we need to get rid of permits for the Commonwealth, go to constitutional carry and issue permits as a convenience for our citizens to use in other less free states.