Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purdy new grips!

Purdy new grips!

Put rosewood grips on my SIG P226 last night. Before and after:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Beautimus!

Suggestion - keep a gum eraser around on which to elevate/angle your gun for pictures when using a hard surface for the background. There is then no chance of depressing the trigger.

Also a fleece blanket or throw will over a nice contrast of textures w/o reflecting light - lay it flat or fluff it up - try it, you'll like it.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-15-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Beautimus!

Suggestion - keep a gum eraser around on which to elevate/angle your gun for pictures when using a hard surface for the background. There is then no chance of depressing the trigger.

Also a fleece blanket or throw will over a nice contrast of textures w/o reflecting light - lay it flat or fluff it up - try it, you'll like it.
    Why would anyone be concerned about 'depressing' the trigger on a gun they are photographing?

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Why would anyone be concerned about 'depressing' the trigger on a gun they are photographing?
    Thanks, it was not loaded, cleared and double checked there was nothing in the chamber. I didn't have time to set up a nicer photo session.

Let me shorten your question:

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by TCP1984 View Post
    Thanks, it was not loaded, cleared and double checked there was nothing in the chamber. I didn't have time to set up a nicer photo session.

No intent to criticize - only to suggest.

Still think it is purdy

Let me shorten your question:

My question is perfectly valid.

You, on the other hand seem to imply that it is never safe to 'depress' the trigger on a firearm. Ever dry fire? Ever take down a Glock (or other such firearm)?

I'm sorry it was not my intention to start an argument and took no offense to your suggestions.

I'm sorry it was not my intention to start an argument and took no offense to your suggestions.

Welcome to OCDO!
    Nice looking grips! Love the look of Rosewood grips.

Don't sweat the trollish behaviors that pop up here and there on the forums. It's mostly harmless.

The advice given by Grapeshot was sound, IMHO. Most folks I know, that I have had discussion about this subject, have been taught to keep you fingers, and anything else, away from the trigger until ready to fire. But I have to admit, I don't always practice what I preach when photographing firearms. I have stuck a small maglight through the trigger guard on several occasions when I needed a better angle to get better lighting and I was too lazy to move my lights or camera around.
    I am going to take Grape's advice and keep a few rubber erasers around my studio just for this purpose. It will make a nicer picture than a shot of a rifle with a bore light or maglight sticking through the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by FBrinson View Post
    Welcome to OCDO!
    Nice looking grips! Love the look of Rosewood grips.

Don't sweat the trollish behaviors that pop up here and there on the forums. It's mostly harmless.

The advice given by Grapeshot was sound, IMHO. Most folks I know, that I have had discussion about this subject, have been taught to keep you fingers, and anything else, away from the trigger until ready to fire. But I have to admit, I don't always practice what I preach when photographing firearms. I have stuck a small maglight through the trigger guard on several occasions when I needed a better angle to get better lighting and I was too lazy to move my lights or camera around.
    I am going to take Grape's advice and keep a few rubber erasers around my studio just for this purpose. It will make a nicer picture than a shot of a rifle with a bore light or maglight sticking through the trigger guard.
    The universal 'safety' rules are directed at brain-dead morons and since several of these so-called 'safety' rules must be violated at certain times based on the situation. Making them basically worthless.

The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

Another annoying/unwelcome issue that is common on forums is the offering of unsolicited advise/suggestions. If the OP did not ask for an opinion/advise, so keep your pie hole shut!

This rule does not require violation is ANY circumstances! Is very simple to understand

The universal 'safety' rules are directed at brain-dead morons and since several of these so-called 'safety' rules must be violated at certain times based on the situation. Making them basically worthless.

The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

Another annoying/unwelcome issue that is common on forums is the offering of unsolicited advise/suggestions. If the OP did not ask for an opinion/advise, so keep your pie hole shut!

This rule does not require violation is ANY circumstances! Is very simple to understand
    Lighten' up, Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by FBrinson View Post
    Lighten' up, Francis.
    Just offering a differing opinion. Even though one was not requested.

Just offering a differing opinion. Even though one was not requested.
    Actually "unsolicited advise/suggestions" has always been very much encouraged on OCDO - even dissenting ones. The important factor is remaining polite/courteous.

To my knowledge, that was not changed - unless someone authorized you to do so while I was at lunch.

No need to apologize, nice grips BTW.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Actually "unsolicited advise/suggestions" has always been very much encouraged on OCDO - even dissenting ones. The important factor is remaining polite/courteous.

To my knowledge, that was not changed - unless someone authorized you to do so while I was at lunch.

"unsolicited advise/suggestions" has always been very much encouraged on OCDO
    One of the problems, IMHO.

yet your advice is to be heeded w/o question as Gospel and obeyed!

oh, and i did like your advice which i know was also solicited by the OP on, oh, how did you put it: quote The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

which agency is going after those who violate your edict? especially when the nice police 'accidentally' shot themselves, such as the deputy chief in Fayettviille in Dec 12 or the recent one, the chief, in the Hoosier state??

said with the utmost courtesy...

btw op, welcome and nice grips...where did you get them?

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 02-16-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post

ipse
    Well, seein's how you asked (although not me) I'll give ya' a shortcut to a guy who does some Real NICE work & reasonably priced to boot.

link;> http://timsworkshop.blogspot.com/

"I make wood grips for the Ruger Bisley, Bisley Super Blackhawk, Bisley Old Vaquero, Old/New Model Blackhawk, Single Six, Vaquero and 4-5/8 & 5-1/2 Super Blackhawks with the XRN-3RED or XR3-RED grip frames, New Vaquero, Old Model XR3 grip frame and the Ruger Super Blackhawk "Dragoon". I also make wood GRIP PANELS for the Ruger Super Redhawk, Ruger SP101, GP100 compact, GP100 full-size, and government model full-size 1911 and the Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev. Ruger medallions are available for installation on all my Ruger grips for an extra $10.00. (They are the silver bird with a black background). I install the hardware before I ship the grips which is why my grips are not usually pictured with hardware. I ship USPS and if you have a problem with my grips please notify me and I will replace the grips or give you a full refund
    (only if grips have not been altered in any way)."

hear ye, hear ye, , grapeshot, and a few others who shall remain nameless, the ranks of gentlemen and scholars have increased by one...cuz scott58dh has become worthy...

thanks i will ping him as i have a couple of my firearms which could use 'sprucing' up if you will. would love to see if the S & W 28 - 2 could be fitted w/new new grips...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

oh, and i did like your advice which i know was also solicited by the OP on, oh, how did you put it: quote The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

which agency is going after those who violate your edict? especially when the nice police 'accidentally' shot themselves, such as the deputy chief in Fayettviille in Dec 12 or the recent one, the chief, in the Hoosier state??

ipse
    Well, yes. Why waste time arguing with the truth?

Actually that was in reply to a Chicken Little reply of the 'dangers' of occupying space near the trigger of an unloaded firearm!

which agency is going after those who violate your edict?
    Well a wise person would realize he is a moron and would voluntarily forfeit their right in this regard. Including moron cops that shoot themselves or others they did not intend to shoot.

Said with the utmost humility...
    Last edited by notalawyer; 02-16-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo

Purdy new grips!

Purchased them from a Sigtalk forum member! "Malicious Compliance". Good to do business with a fellow Signess sufferer!

Last edited by TCP1984; 02-16-2014 at 10:16 PM.

OP by my count you've got 5 comments on your grips out of 19, haven't studied other threads but this is about a 75% noise ratio - not bad for a non-legal thread.

Grips do look very nice.

Reminds me of the Gibson Guitar kerfluffle when the Feds seized several million $ of wood citing the Lacey act. Just returned it to them and they've been making the Government series guitars with that wood.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    Anyone can put a trigger lock on their gun .. I don't care. But it cannot be mandated.

The grips? I think they are OK ... maybe get a set of ivory ones too ..

http://www.hoguestore.com/bmz_cache/...ge.300x200.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Anyone can put a trigger lock on their gun .. I don't care. But it cannot be mandated.

The grips? I think they are OK ... maybe get a set of ivory ones too ..

http://www.hoguestore.com/bmz_cache/...ge.300x200.jpg
    I would love a set of plain scrimshaw grips but I can't find anyone that makes them for this pistol.

I would love a set of plain scrimshaw grips but I can't find anyone that makes them for this pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF04Gq_099I

Nice!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast