• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purdy new grips!

TCP1984

Put rosewood grips on my SIG P226 last night. Before and after:
eba6e4an.jpg
e8e2a2ub.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Beautimus!

Suggestion - keep a gum eraser around on which to elevate/angle your gun for pictures when using a hard surface for the background. There is then no chance of depressing the trigger.

Also a fleece blanket or throw will over a nice contrast of textures w/o reflecting light - lay it flat or fluff it up - try it, you'll like it.

Last edited:

notalawyer

Beautimus!

Suggestion - keep a gum eraser around on which to elevate/angle your gun for pictures when using a hard surface for the background. There is then no chance of depressing the trigger.

Also a fleece blanket or throw will over a nice contrast of textures w/o reflecting light - lay it flat or fluff it up - try it, you'll like it.

Why would anyone be concerned about 'depressing' the trigger on a gun they are photographing? :banghead:

TCP1984

Why would anyone be concerned about 'depressing' the trigger on a gun they are photographing? :banghead:

Thanks, it was not loaded, cleared and double checked there was nothing in the chamber. I didn't have time to set up a nicer photo session.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Let me shorten your question:

Why would anyone be concerned about 'depressing' the trigger on a gun [strike]they are photographing[/strike]? :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks, it was not loaded, cleared and double checked there was nothing in the chamber. I didn't have time to set up a nicer photo session.

No intent to criticize - only to suggest.

Still think it is purdy :D

notalawyer

Let me shorten your question:

Why would anyone be concerned about 'depressing' the trigger on a gun [strike]they are photographing[/strike]? :uhoh:

My question is perfectly valid.

You, on the other hand seem to imply that it is never safe to 'depress' the trigger on a firearm. Ever dry fire? Ever take down a Glock (or other such firearm)?

TCP1984

I'm sorry it was not my intention to start an argument and took no offense to your suggestions.

FBrinson

I'm sorry it was not my intention to start an argument and took no offense to your suggestions.

Welcome to OCDO!
Nice looking grips! Love the look of Rosewood grips.

Don't sweat the trollish behaviors that pop up here and there on the forums. It's mostly harmless.

The advice given by Grapeshot was sound, IMHO. Most folks I know, that I have had discussion about this subject, have been taught to keep you fingers, and anything else, away from the trigger until ready to fire. But I have to admit, I don't always practice what I preach when photographing firearms. I have stuck a small maglight through the trigger guard on several occasions when I needed a better angle to get better lighting and I was too lazy to move my lights or camera around.
I am going to take Grape's advice and keep a few rubber erasers around my studio just for this purpose. It will make a nicer picture than a shot of a rifle with a bore light or maglight sticking through the trigger guard.

notalawyer

Welcome to OCDO!
Nice looking grips! Love the look of Rosewood grips.

Don't sweat the trollish behaviors that pop up here and there on the forums. It's mostly harmless.

The advice given by Grapeshot was sound, IMHO. Most folks I know, that I have had discussion about this subject, have been taught to keep you fingers, and anything else, away from the trigger until ready to fire. But I have to admit, I don't always practice what I preach when photographing firearms. I have stuck a small maglight through the trigger guard on several occasions when I needed a better angle to get better lighting and I was too lazy to move my lights or camera around.
I am going to take Grape's advice and keep a few rubber erasers around my studio just for this purpose. It will make a nicer picture than a shot of a rifle with a bore light or maglight sticking through the trigger guard.

The universal 'safety' rules are directed at brain-dead morons and since several of these so-called 'safety' rules must be violated at certain times based on the situation. Making them basically worthless.

The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

Another annoying/unwelcome issue that is common on forums is the offering of unsolicited advise/suggestions. If the OP did not ask for an opinion/advise, so keep your pie hole shut!

This rule does not require violation is ANY circumstances! Is very simple to understand

FBrinson

The universal 'safety' rules are directed at brain-dead morons and since several of these so-called 'safety' rules must be violated at certain times based on the situation. Making them basically worthless.

The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

Another annoying/unwelcome issue that is common on forums is the offering of unsolicited advise/suggestions. If the OP did not ask for an opinion/advise, so keep your pie hole shut!

This rule does not require violation is ANY circumstances! Is very simple to understand

Lighten' up, Francis.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Just offering a differing opinion. Even though one was not requested. :cool:
Actually "unsolicited advise/suggestions" has always been very much encouraged on OCDO - even dissenting ones. The important factor is remaining polite/courteous.

To my knowledge, that was not changed - unless someone authorized you to do so while I was at lunch. :p

notalawyer

Actually "unsolicited advise/suggestions" has always been very much encouraged on OCDO - even dissenting ones. The important factor is remaining polite/courteous.

To my knowledge, that was not changed - unless someone authorized you to do so while I was at lunch. :p

"unsolicited advise/suggestions" has always been very much encouraged on OCDO
One of the problems, IMHO. :p

solus

yet your advice is to be heeded w/o question as Gospel and obeyed!

oh, and i did like your advice which i know was also solicited by the OP on, oh, how did you put it: quote The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

which agency is going after those who violate your edict? especially when the nice police 'accidentally' shot themselves, such as the deputy chief in Fayettviille in Dec 12 or the recent one, the chief, in the Hoosier state??

said with the utmost courtesy...

btw op, welcome and nice grips...where did you get them?

ipse

Last edited:

scott58dh

ipse

Well, seein's how you asked (although not me) I'll give ya' a shortcut to a guy who does some Real NICE work & reasonably priced to boot.

link;> http://timsworkshop.blogspot.com/

"I make wood grips for the Ruger Bisley, Bisley Super Blackhawk, Bisley Old Vaquero, Old/New Model Blackhawk, Single Six, Vaquero and 4-5/8 & 5-1/2 Super Blackhawks with the XRN-3RED or XR3-RED grip frames, New Vaquero, Old Model XR3 grip frame and the Ruger Super Blackhawk "Dragoon". I also make wood GRIP PANELS for the Ruger Super Redhawk, Ruger SP101, GP100 compact, GP100 full-size, and government model full-size 1911 and the Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev. Ruger medallions are available for installation on all my Ruger grips for an extra $10.00. (They are the silver bird with a black background). I install the hardware before I ship the grips which is why my grips are not usually pictured with hardware. I ship USPS and if you have a problem with my grips please notify me and I will replace the grips or give you a full refund
(only if grips have not been altered in any way)."

solus

hear ye, hear ye, , grapeshot, and a few others who shall remain nameless, the ranks of gentlemen and scholars have increased by one...cuz scott58dh has become worthy...

thanks i will ping him as i have a couple of my firearms which could use 'sprucing' up if you will. would love to see if the S & W 28 - 2 could be fitted w/new new grips...

ipse

notalawyer

oh, and i did like your advice which i know was also solicited by the OP on, oh, how did you put it: quote The best 'rule' is simply "Do not shoot anything you do not intend to." If someone cannot figure how to accomplish this under any condition should not be permitted to possess firearms!

which agency is going after those who violate your edict? especially when the nice police 'accidentally' shot themselves, such as the deputy chief in Fayettviille in Dec 12 or the recent one, the chief, in the Hoosier state??

ipse

Well, yes. Why waste time arguing with the truth?

Actually that was in reply to a Chicken Little reply of the 'dangers' of occupying space near the trigger of an unloaded firearm!

which agency is going after those who violate your edict?
Well a wise person would realize he is a moron and would voluntarily forfeit their right in this regard. Including moron cops that shoot themselves or others they did not intend to shoot.

Said with the utmost humility...

Last edited:

TCP1984

Purchased them from a Sigtalk forum member! "Malicious Compliance". Good to do business with a fellow Signess sufferer!

Last edited: