Thread: Tactical Application of Practical Shooting- Pat Mcnamara

Tactical Application of Practical Shooting- Pat Mcnamara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIVzo49e0Us

"Recognize the void in your tactical training Train like you fight Maintain safety at all times Choose targets that force accountability Develop a series of standards Patrick McNamara spent twenty-two years in the United States Army in a myriad of special operations units. When he worked in the premier special missions unit, he became an impeccable marksman, shooting with accurate, lethal results and tactical effectiveness. McNamara has trained tactical applications of shooting to people of all levels of marksmanship, from varsity level soldiers, U.S. Secret Service agents and police officers who work the streets to civilians with little to no time behind the trigger."

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=LmkdYuS--dcC

Just started to read this the other day. Pretty good so far. He goes over how to train yourself and others. Apparently he holds a 2 day course for pistol and rifle. Figured I'd pass this book along to those wanting to improve upon their skills. He focuses on the mental game, to include alot of dry fire and mental prep for the range. I think the best part is he seems to stress round accountability. For those with military service he also dispels alot of drills we're accustomed to, like "ready ups". Or "train like you fight" meaning you need to zero with your full kit on or do every drill in full kit. He dispels alot of that stuff in a good way. Apparently this guy worked in Delta, so I'd say he might be one to learn something from.

Enjoy.

Uggh. Follow the money to tacticool.

Last edited by Nightmare; 02-16-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I think the book was 3 dollars on my kindle. 3 bucks isn't bad to get some tips from a guy like that. That's not even a Starbucks coffee.

There's a time and a place form tactical thought and action/reaction. Its when your getting shot at or someone is trying to kill you.

Obviously this book is geared more towards police and military but all the principles apply to every citizen who carries for protection. I think some guys fail to realize what carrying for protection entails..... the ability to actually engage another person while they are trying to kill you. Or maybe its the reliance on the deterrence factor.

Either way take it or leave it just trying to help.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    There are books for you e-reader from Ludwig Von Mises, Bastiat, Hazlitt, Rothbard...etc that would give you more useful information.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    There are books for you e-reader from Ludwig Von Mises, Bastiat, Hazlitt, Rothbard...etc that would give you more useful information.
    More useful when I need to use my firearm in self defense?

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    More useful when I need to use my firearm in self defense?

Yep firearms are easy to use, training is good.

The real threat is lack of knowledge about human action and liberty.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yep firearms are easy to use, training is good.

The real threat is lack of knowledge about human action and liberty.
    I agree in the big picture. But when a BG is actively trying to kill you they only liberty you should be worries about is the liberty of taking your next breath. Being bale yo go home and ponder about your liberties and how to gain more or keep the ones you have. To fight the good fight.

But I assure you (as your smart enough to already know), the bad guys don't give a fig about your liberty. Just your wallet or truck.

As I said... IF you carry for defense then books like this are good. If you just carry for a statement then so be it, that's your choice.

Learning tactics etc..is always good.

I am more worried about the big picture.

The important thing to learn is when and how to avoid dispensing bullets. The answer is almost never do that. There's always an alternative, which may require forward thinking, not getting boxed in with one option. Not instigating, staying OFF the bad guy's radar.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    The important thing to learn is when and how to avoid dispensing bullets. The answer is almost never do that. There's always an alternative, which may require forward thinking, not getting boxed in with one option. Not instigating, staying OFF the bad guy's radar.

FWIW
    I agree. And its worth alot. But none of these are mutually exclusive. You can be resilient and avoid the fight..you can focus on the big picture of society and liberty. But none of this means you can't work in practical use of firearms.

The avoidance techniques will work on 99% of the population. But if/when you meet that 1% its going to be a bad day and the only thing you can do is defend yourself.

I can assume everyone here carries loaded firearms when legal to do so right? And some extra ammo? Well the ammo is needed for when the avoidance doesn't work.

Again just presented as food for thought. Also this training is huge for those that compete. IDPA, USPSA, etc.

In modern society, i.e. not living in South America you can ALWAYS avoid having to deploy your firearm. In the car, lock your doors, driver's side and especially have passenger's side locked at gas stations.

Don't gas up at night. Get assistance loading groceries (a form of partnering). Avoid using outdoor ATM machines - never use them at night.

Partner up. Don't road rage. Be a gentleman. Be kind and considerate. Remember your kindness and a smile may keep you off some serial killer's radar.

In modern society, i.e. not living in South America you can ALWAYS avoid having to deploy your firearm. In the car, lock your doors, driver's side and especially have passenger's side locked at gas stations.

Don't gas up at night. Get assistance loading groceries (a form of partnering). Avoid using outdoor ATM machines - never use them at night.

Partner up. Don't road rage. Be a gentleman. Be kind and considerate. Remember your kindness and a smile may keep you off some serial killer's radar.
    Maverick I'm going to have disagree with you. Here's an example of an incident where the guy was just putting fuel in his truck. Sometimes you just can't avoid it.

Not sure what he could have done different. Not get fuel? Put fuel in at a different location?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh....php?p=2035604

Also there s the incident where the guy shot the kid trying to tase him. He was walking along and he got struck from behind.

There are some states where the application of learned skills is mitigated because those states prohibit, or severely restrict, a citizen's right to carry. Know the law before you decide to become skilled in the effective use of your personal defense weapon. When a cop recommends "this type of training" it should be taken with a grain of salt mainly because cops are not restricted in there ability to carry, anywhere, for the most part. In those states that restrict liberty I recommend that home defense training be the first order of business. Work to change the "big picture' so that outside the home traing might actually be practical and cost effective.

But, if you want to learn how to.....by all means spend your money even though you will likely not be able to take advantage of the benefits of that training.

Trouble and potential trouble can always be avoided. The difficulty of avoidance depends only on ones priorities.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.