• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Criminals Target OC'ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

De5115

Does anyone have any links to when an OCer was targeted by criminals?

I can't think of any instances and my quick google search didn't find any either. Anti OCers like to say that OC makes you a target. I have not seen any data to support that. Perhaps it has happened and if so I wonder how often it occurs. Then you have to look on the flip side. How would you determine how many victimizations, assaults, muggings, robberies, or other crimes were deterred or stopped because of OCers.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I read of one case maybe about 5 years ago. If I recall the guy was targeted by a couple of neighbor teens. The guy would walk around the block in the evening. I think the teens took the gun and ran, but were caught later.

That is the only case I ever recall in the past 10 years. However, there could be more.

The conceal carry group believing that concealment has a tactical advantage is blowing smoke. Bad guys have tunnel vision when they commence their misdeed.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I read of one case maybe about 5 years ago. If I recall the guy was targeted by a couple of neighbor teens. The guy would walk around the block in the evening. I think the teens took the gun and ran, but were caught later.

That is the only case I ever recall in the past 10 years. However, there could be more.

The conceal carry group believing that concealment has a tactical advantage is blowing smoke. Bad guys have tunnel vision when they commence their misdeed.
This has been discussed ad nasium on OCDO.

The case you note was debunked as a staged event. Point of fact, we have never found one such event that withstood close scrutiny.

WalkingWolf

I stopped having this discussion outside of OCDO. The old saying "You can lead a idiot to knowledge, but you can't make him learn" comes to mind.

beebobby

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How about this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood,_Washington_police_officer_shooting.

I think a point could be made that if a person is sufficiently crazy, they will attack anyone, regardless of whether or not their intended victim is armed or not.
No cigar. The OP is about a gun grab/snatch, not about an execution style attack.

The original "challange" was made many years ago:
  • Show us one (1) bonified, tested and vented, cite wherein a LAC had his/her handgun snatched as a primary target by a BG anywhere in the USA in modern times - LEOs, security officers, and military excluded.
  • Might it happen some day? Undoubtedly, but when it does the numerical ratio will look something like .000001% when compared to the total OC history. One might have better odds winning the lottery 3 times.....in a row.

Your link does remind us of the reason we carry for protection though.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
How about this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood,_Washington_police_officer_shooting.

I think a point could be made that if a person is sufficiently crazy, they will attack anyone, regardless of whether or not their intended victim is armed or not.

I think a point could be made that aggressive agents of the state make themselves a target for people who happen to be both unhinged and victims of the state, regardless of whether their intended victim is armed or not.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This has been discussed ad nasium on OCDO.

The case you note was debunked as a staged event. Point of fact, we have never found one such event that withstood close scrutiny.
Grapeshot, thank you for setting my palpitating heart at ease.

Because of such rumor I have been contemplating for years of giving up open carrying.

NOT!!!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot, thank you for setting my palpitating heart at ease.

Because of such rumor I have been contemplating for years of giving up open carrying.

NOT!!!!!

Would be happy to give any and all of your guns a safe haven until you make up your mind. :lol:

Kopis

I use both CC and OC. I think my only frustration is hearing that "you will be targeted first" every freaking time from CCers. If that's the case, then why do stores hire an armed guard that OCs? the answer is simple and one we already know... OC IS a deterrent. Draw is quicker, smoother and safer. However, people are scared of it because we have been told it's bad and only LEOs should do it for many years.

Now, to the OPs original question...... yes here is a case: http://freakoutnation.com/2013/09/2...s-the-guy-with-a-gun-gets-robbed-at-gunpoint/

yet, the next listing on google is two OCers that DETER a robbery. http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

I notice that when i OC in downtown memphis, less than reputable looking individuals not only steer clear of me but try to avoid me at all costs while normally dressed people dont even notice.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Now, to the OPs original question...... yes here is a case: http://freakoutnation.com/2013/09/2...s-the-guy-with-a-gun-gets-robbed-at-gunpoint/

The OCer was apparently not targeted for or because of his gun. He was a victim of an armed robbery and gave up some situational awareness obviously.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100′s of thousands of people open carry and he’s never heard of anything like this.

I do not have the time right now to research this to see what follow up information might be available. There was one similar a while back that was found to be a staged event.

Status
Not open for further replies.