Thread: Looking to start casting tomorrow

Looking to start casting tomorrow

I'm looking at the instructions for it. It says to lube with silicone. Does any one have a recommendation? Will W/d 40 silicone work if used lightly?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Search For WD-40 Products

Search: silicone

No results.

http://wd40.com/search/?searchText=silicone
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00631GSSI

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    I'm looking at the instructions for it. It says to lube with silicone. Does any one have a recommendation? Will W/d 40 silicone work if used lightly?

I'm no expert but here's what I found searching for some info about the subject.

Let me know what you think, if it helps ya' out or not.

"Bullet lube ingredients/descriptions & Lube Recipes"

By: Rick Kelter

"There are far too many "possible" ingredients that could be used in bullet lube to list but many of the more common ones (and a few rather odd ones) are described below."

link #1;> http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm#LubeCB

link #2;> http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm
    Last edited by scott58dh; 02-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00631GSSI

Not to be confused with Silicone.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylsiloxane
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

There's something about this thread that just isn't up to snuff when measuring it with my snuffometer.

The vagueness of the OP's question is being met with entirely too specific answers.

It's like someone asking, "I'm working on my car, what size wrench should I use?"

Only to be met confidently with answers such as, "Definitely a 53/64ths. Without a doubt."

First of all, I've never lubed anything I've ever cast with silicone.

Second of all, the only thing that needs to be lubed when casting is the mould, not the bullets, as the bullets would be made out of molten lead, therefore extremely hard to lubricate.

I usually lube my bullets before loading them, not when casting them. Although, I have tried setting the still hot bullets in wax to lube them, but this was a real PITA, so I went back to tumble lubing them. I usually use bullet lube such as liquid alox, although I've experimented with parafin and several types of wax.

As far as lubing my moulds, I simply use carbon straight from a burning match. I've yet to find anything that works better.

Or are you talking about flux?

Otherwise, this may be an excellent opportunity for an old dog to learn new tricks. After all, if we always did things the way we always have, we'd still be flying canvas airplanes and sailing wooden boats. So my curiosity is piqued, and I'd be very interested in learning how the heck I could use silicone, and what the heck Id use it for when casting other than to spray it on the bearings of the fan I use for ventilation.

There are point of contacts when the mold closes, and the pivot point of the sprue plate, that are required to be lubed.

At least, this is according to the instructions. I knew beeswax would be a way. Looking at the directions it mentions silicone, so I went rambling in the utility room, and found the Wd/40 silicone spray. I didn't know if I could take a small brush, and lightly lube those points of contacts.

I'll be smoking the inside of the cavity with a match. I'm using liquid alox for the bullets but I'm not that far yet. I've read a little goes along way on that to.

Last edited by mpguy; 02-17-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Curious how I did with the liquid alox..

I have lube 10s of thousands of bullets with Alox I normally 2 it in two stages I light lube them first, size them all then lube again.

But a lot of people just do it one time.

Looking at yours some of them look a bit lite on the lube.

I would give then another go around.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I have lube 10s of thousands of bullets with Alox I normally 2 it in two stages I light lube them first, size them all then lube again.

But a lot of people just do it one time.

Looking at yours some of them look a bit lite on the lube.

I would give then another go around.
    I decided to lube them again. Those pictures were post sizing. I left them at work to dry over night.