• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to start casting tomorrow

mpguy

I'm looking at the instructions for it. It says to lube with silicone. Does any one have a recommendation? Will W/d 40 silicone work if used lightly?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

scott58dh

I'm looking at the instructions for it. It says to lube with silicone. Does any one have a recommendation? Will W/d 40 silicone work if used lightly?

I'm no expert but here's what I found searching for some info about the subject.

Let me know what you think, if it helps ya' out or not.

"Bullet lube ingredients/descriptions & Lube Recipes"

By: Rick Kelter

"There are far too many "possible" ingredients that could be used in bullet lube to list but many of the more common ones (and a few rather odd ones) are described below."

link #1;> http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm#LubeCB

link #2;> http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm

Last edited:

Superlite27

There's something about this thread that just isn't up to snuff when measuring it with my snuffometer.

The vagueness of the OP's question is being met with entirely too specific answers.

It's like someone asking, "I'm working on my car, what size wrench should I use?"

Only to be met confidently with answers such as, "Definitely a 53/64ths. Without a doubt."

First of all, I've never lubed anything I've ever cast with silicone.

Second of all, the only thing that needs to be lubed when casting is the mould, not the bullets, as the bullets would be made out of molten lead, therefore extremely hard to lubricate.

I usually lube my bullets before loading them, not when casting them. Although, I have tried setting the still hot bullets in wax to lube them, but this was a real PITA, so I went back to tumble lubing them. I usually use bullet lube such as liquid alox, although I've experimented with parafin and several types of wax.

As far as lubing my moulds, I simply use carbon straight from a burning match. I've yet to find anything that works better.

Or are you talking about flux?

Otherwise, this may be an excellent opportunity for an old dog to learn new tricks. After all, if we always did things the way we always have, we'd still be flying canvas airplanes and sailing wooden boats. So my curiosity is piqued, and I'd be very interested in learning how the heck I could use silicone, and what the heck Id use it for when casting other than to spray it on the bearings of the fan I use for ventilation.

mpguy

There are point of contacts when the mold closes, and the pivot point of the sprue plate, that are required to be lubed.

At least, this is according to the instructions. I knew beeswax would be a way. Looking at the directions it mentions silicone, so I went rambling in the utility room, and found the Wd/40 silicone spray. I didn't know if I could take a small brush, and lightly lube those points of contacts.

I'll be smoking the inside of the cavity with a match. I'm using liquid alox for the bullets but I'm not that far yet. I've read a little goes along way on that to.

Last edited:

mpguy

Curious how I did with the liquid alox..

upyzatyb.jpg

y9apesa7.jpg

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have lube 10s of thousands of bullets with Alox I normally 2 it in two stages I light lube them first, size them all then lube again.

But a lot of people just do it one time.

Looking at yours some of them look a bit lite on the lube.

I would give then another go around.

mpguy

I have lube 10s of thousands of bullets with Alox I normally 2 it in two stages I light lube them first, size them all then lube again.

But a lot of people just do it one time.

Looking at yours some of them look a bit lite on the lube.

I would give then another go around.

I decided to lube them again. Those pictures were post sizing. I left them at work to dry over night.