Thread: Revised website now has links to downloadable PDF's

Revised website now has links to downloadable PDF's

I've revised my website to give links to the "Letter to Law Enforcement", "Bill of Sale", "Definition of 'Secured", and Instructor's contract form. Scroll down about half way to the part marked "useful information". I'll probably add some other stuff as I get better organized. To everyone who's been reminding me of this deficiency over the past year or so, thank you for your patience.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    That's a tremendous public service!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Indeed - most appreciated.

Suspect that this will become the bible - an encyclopedic reference.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks, Dan. I've had your Letter to LEOs with me in my wallet for some time now. It gives me tremendous peace of mine and I encourage everyone to have this letter with them AT ALL TIMES. You just never know... Gun owners are lucky to have someone like you in our corner; heaven forbid we should need a good lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arma1911 View Post
    Thanks, Dan. I've had your Letter to LEOs with me in my wallet for some time now. It gives me tremendous peace of mine and I encourage everyone to have this letter with them AT ALL TIMES. You just never know... Gun owners are lucky to have someone like you in our corner; heaven forbid we should need a good lawyer.
    Yep!

me too!

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    In my wallet, always, with another copy in my car.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

New guy moment: And this letter would be...

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by homestar View Post
    New guy moment: And this letter would be...
    Go to Dan's site at HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com, scroll down to "Useful Stuff" and download the letter. It's self-explanatory.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 02-19-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Go to Dan's site at HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com, scroll down to "Useful Stuff" and download the letter. It's self-explanatory.
    Thanks much!

Thanks for providing the draft of the letter (as well as the other draft documentation material) for our use, it is certainly appreciated!

Ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I have a revised version in my wallet, camera bags, cars, briefcase.....and probably a few I've forgotten...and have used them. I also keep his cards which I have to replenish often because people ask for them.

On a related note, do many of you keep a lawyer on retainer? Or on such a document would you say who ...could... be your representation in the event of an incident.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    On a related note, do many of you keep a lawyer on retainer? Or on such a document would you say who ...could... be your representation in the event of an incident.
    Did you not read the "Letter to Law Enforcement"?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Did you not read the "Letter to Law Enforcement"?
    I did. And that's what I'm clarifying. At the point it says I'm a 'client of/represented by' I assume that means there is an arrangement in place prior to the use of the letter.

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, I have been fortunate in avoiding legal issues so far.

A "retainer" is an amount of money, payable on a periodic basis, merely to "retain" someone as your attorney. It is not payment for work performed, merely for the privilege of being able to say that so-and-so is your attorney, and to create a conflict of interest that will prevent him from representing the interests of any other person adverse to you.

I do not charge a retainer. I charge when I actually do work, pursuant to a written representation agreement. That agreement generally provides for payment of an advance against costs and fees, but that money goes into my attorney escrow account and remains the client's money until earned.

Feel free to write down my name and phone number and carry it with you, keep a copy in your car and on your nightstand. Also give a copy to someone whom you trust so that you can call that person from the jail - if for some reason you can't reach me right off, you might not get another chance, but that trusted person can keep calling until he reaches me.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    A "retainer" is an amount of money, payable on a periodic basis, merely to "retain" someone as your attorney. It is not payment for work performed, merely for the privilege of being able to say that so-and-so is your attorney, and to create a conflict of interest that will prevent him from representing the interests of any other person adverse to you.

I do not charge a retainer. I charge when I actually do work, pursuant to a written representation agreement. That agreement generally provides for payment of an advance against costs and fees, but that money goes into my attorney escrow account and remains the client's money until earned.

Feel free to write down my name and phone number and carry it with you, keep a copy in your car and on your nightstand. Also give a copy to someone whom you trust so that you can call that person from the jail - if for some reason you can't reach me right off, you might not get another chance, but that trusted person can keep calling until he reaches me.
    Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the information.