• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revised website now has links to downloadable PDF's

user

Accomplished Advocate
I've revised my website to give links to the "Letter to Law Enforcement", "Bill of Sale", "Definition of 'Secured", and Instructor's contract form. Scroll down about half way to the part marked "useful information". I'll probably add some other stuff as I get better organized. To everyone who's been reminding me of this deficiency over the past year or so, thank you for your patience.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed - most appreciated.

Suspect that this will become the bible - an encyclopedic reference.

Arma1911

Thanks, Dan. I've had your Letter to LEOs with me in my wallet for some time now. It gives me tremendous peace of mine and I encourage everyone to have this letter with them AT ALL TIMES. You just never know... Gun owners are lucky to have someone like you in our corner; heaven forbid we should need a good lawyer.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks, Dan. I've had your Letter to LEOs with me in my wallet for some time now. It gives me tremendous peace of mine and I encourage everyone to have this letter with them AT ALL TIMES. You just never know... Gun owners are lucky to have someone like you in our corner; heaven forbid we should need a good lawyer.

Yep!

wrearick

me too!

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

In my wallet, always, with another copy in my car.

solus

Thanks for providing the draft of the letter (as well as the other draft documentation material) for our use, it is certainly appreciated!

Ipse

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have a revised version in my wallet, camera bags, cars, briefcase.....and probably a few I've forgotten...and have used them. I also keep his cards which I have to replenish often because people ask for them.

homestar

On a related note, do many of you keep a lawyer on retainer? Or on such a document would you say who ...could... be your representation in the event of an incident.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
On a related note, do many of you keep a lawyer on retainer? Or on such a document would you say who ...could... be your representation in the event of an incident.
Did you not read the "Letter to Law Enforcement"?

homestar

Did you not read the "Letter to Law Enforcement"?

I did. And that's what I'm clarifying. At the point it says I'm a 'client of/represented by' I assume that means there is an arrangement in place prior to the use of the letter.

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, I have been fortunate in avoiding legal issues so far.

user

Accomplished Advocate

A "retainer" is an amount of money, payable on a periodic basis, merely to "retain" someone as your attorney. It is not payment for work performed, merely for the privilege of being able to say that so-and-so is your attorney, and to create a conflict of interest that will prevent him from representing the interests of any other person adverse to you.

I do not charge a retainer. I charge when I actually do work, pursuant to a written representation agreement. That agreement generally provides for payment of an advance against costs and fees, but that money goes into my attorney escrow account and remains the client's money until earned.

Feel free to write down my name and phone number and carry it with you, keep a copy in your car and on your nightstand. Also give a copy to someone whom you trust so that you can call that person from the jail - if for some reason you can't reach me right off, you might not get another chance, but that trusted person can keep calling until he reaches me.

homestar

A "retainer" is an amount of money, payable on a periodic basis, merely to "retain" someone as your attorney. It is not payment for work performed, merely for the privilege of being able to say that so-and-so is your attorney, and to create a conflict of interest that will prevent him from representing the interests of any other person adverse to you.

I do not charge a retainer. I charge when I actually do work, pursuant to a written representation agreement. That agreement generally provides for payment of an advance against costs and fees, but that money goes into my attorney escrow account and remains the client's money until earned.

Feel free to write down my name and phone number and carry it with you, keep a copy in your car and on your nightstand. Also give a copy to someone whom you trust so that you can call that person from the jail - if for some reason you can't reach me right off, you might not get another chance, but that trusted person can keep calling until he reaches me.

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the information.