Thread: A compendium of cases; SYG popular in Charleston area. The Post & Courier.

A compendium of cases; SYG popular in Charleston area. The Post & Courier.

"Since 2010, the law has come into play in at least 13 cases here. Eight of those came last year, according to a Post and Courier tally.

Ninth Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson, whose office has handled many of the recent cases, said publicity of stand-your-ground cases have made attorneys and defendants more aware of the law's protections."

About the law

The S.C. Protection of Persons and Property Act was signed into law June 9, 2006, and recognizes that a person's home is his castle. The law also extended the doctrine to include a vehicle and place of business. It authorizes the lawful use of deadly force under certain circumstances against an intruder or attacker.

Under the law, there is no duty to retreat if:
    • The person is in a place he has a right to be.
    • The person is not engaged in unlawful activity.
    • The use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily injury or a violent crime.
    • A person who lawfully uses deadly force is immune from criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a police officer acting in an official capacity and that he properly identifies himself as such or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known that the person is an officer.
    Source: State Law Enforcement Division
    http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...ins-popularity
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-17-2014 at 05:23 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

What if the cop was acting unlawfully in his official capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    What if the cop was acting unlawfully in his official capacity?
    Precisely the point, the pointed question, the same answer as to RAS/PC on the street. RAS/PC is for the cop to testilie to and the judge to adjudicate presuming the cop's veracity as an officer of the court.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.