• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Glock 42 POS?

WalkingWolf

Took new 42 to range today with the following dismal results:

25 rnds Hornady Critical Defense: Numerous stovepipes/FTL/FTE and numerous occasions of slide not locking after last rnd.
50 rnds American Eagle 95gr. FMJ: Same results as above.
50 rnds Blazer Brass 95gr. FMJ: Same results as above.
50 rnds PMC Bronze 90gr. FMJ: Same results as above.
50 rnds Blazer Steel 95gr. FMJ: Fewest problems with this ammo although there were a few. Was able to actually fire a few complete magazines without problems.

Other issues noted:
When dropping a single rnd in, and sling shoting the slide, at times it did not go completely forward.
At times the slide release functioned normally and other times it was impossible to release.
Several times the spent rnd remained in battery and the trigger reset.
I noticed when loading rnds in the magazine that I had to be very careful to note that the rnd completely seated all the way back on the follower. At times a rnd would appear seated when actually a very small gap (1/64th) would remain.

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/any-glock-42-380-owners-33475/

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f32/do-not-buy-ammo-your-glock-42-a-33323/

Put 225 rounds thru it today. Independence, Fiocchi and Federal 95gr FMJ and then Gold Dot and Hornady 90gr HP. Had one failure to feed going up the ramp with the FMJ and subsequent stovepipe. No other issues in FMJ. The real problem was with the Gold Dots. With a box of 50, the first 6-7 mags all experienced the slide getting locked back with rounds still remaining. Both mags, always once and one time twice. Switched to the Hornady Critical Defense and all 25 went down range no prob. The last 8 Gold Dots fired without issue, so maybe it needed some break in. Not sure. I'll put some more thru it before I decide to call Glock about it.

As far as accuracy, it wasn't bad. Not my best groupings compared to the 19/26 and 23, but new gun so need more practice.

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f32/glock-42-range-reports-32961/index2.html

Same problem here. Bought this for my wife and took it the range last weekend. We had all of the problems listed above. There was a guy next to me that said we needed to have a tighter grip so we tried it and the problems seem to lessen. I ran out of ammo before I could say for sure if that was the problem or its a gun issue. Should I be able to shoot this with a loose grip and not have it misfire? Im somewhat new to shooting smaller guns like this and not sure if its the gun or me and my wife doing something wrong. It worries me because this was suppose to be my wifes cc gun.
Also, this is my first post and Glock so I would like to say hi to everyone.

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/g42-cs-info-33199/

Most reviews by Glock enthusiasts are good, but for this to be on a Glock forum does not bode well. One could say that a few bad reviews are not a indicator of the gun's reliability or quality.

mobiushky

Funny... Thread title "New Glock 42 POS?" Then in the thread "Most reviews by Glock enthusiasts are good, but for this to be on a Glock forum does not bode well. One could say that a few bad reviews are not a indicator of the gun's reliability or quality."

So, eschewing the convention of balanced objectivity we go for the "POS" moniker first then contradict...

Anyway, since you mentioned TTAG in another thread and how they're full of it and wrong and all that, I thought I'd post this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-glock-42/

That means no problems at the range, right? Well, not exactly. While GLOCKs have the well-earned reputation for being able to shoot virtually anything you can cram in a magazine, that’s decidedly not the case with the G42. The babiest GLOCK has some very specific ideas about what it will and won’t eat. As some other shooters have already found, the vast majority of rounds work just fine. But heavier, higher pressure rounds and even some lighter stuff might as well be steamed brussels sprouts as far as the G42 is concerned.

And:

And if Buffalo Bore makes the 42 nauseous, Freedom Munitions 100 grainers makes it puke all over its shoes. On the other end of the spectrum, a relatively lighter shooting round like the Barnes XPD doesn’t seem to cycle the gun at all.

BUT, TTAG is bad and wrong, so does that mean the 42 isn't not a bad gun? I'm confused.

All reports are pointing to an ammo finicky gun. Some people don't care, most do. Even Hickok45 notes the issue in his video. If it continues, maybe Glock will run a replacement on the recoil spring like they did for the Gen 4's when they came out. Hopefully they will at least take notice. It's possible it's a break in issue that will resolve. Time will tell.

The pocket .380 is a tight market with a LOT of already great pocket guns. Sure the 42 will sell a lot initially on brand name alone. But if these problems aren't anomalies, they're gonna have to fix them if they want to remain competitive in a flooded market. Maybe this is just a prelude to a single stack 9mm, but that's a whole different can of worms that includes the already popular Shield and the XDs now.

mobiushky

Nice choice. M&P is a good gun. Trigger's a little squishy and the Apex takes care of that, but that's a minor gripe in a high quality firearm. But, what does this have to do with the Glock 42? Are you saying that these departments have chosen an M&P over the Glock 42? That doesn't make any sense. I don't see how this proves your assertion that the Glock 42 is a POS?

WalkingWolf

Agencies that issue S&W M&P

Federal
Dept of Energy, OST Agents
DEA is authorizing the use of personally owned M&P pistols in 9mm, .40, and .45
Federal Reserve Board of Governors
Bureau of Engraving & Printing
IRS

Alabama
Madison County PD

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California
Atherton PD
California Parole
Concord PD
Los Angeles County Sheriff
State Parks Police

Colorado
State Patrol
Colorado Springs

Connecticut
Hartford PD
Waterbury PD

Delaware
New Castle County PD

Florida
Clearwater PD
Manatee County Sheriff’s Office
Tampa PD

Georgia
Atlanta PD

Hawaii
Hawaii Sheriff’s Office

Idaho

Illinois
North Chicago PD

Indiana
The Terre Haute Indiana PD

Iowa
State Patrol

Kansas
Wichita PD

Kentucky

Louisiana
Kenner PD

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts
State Police
Brookline PD
Lowell PD
Marlboro PD
Merrimac College
Springfield PD
Plymouth Sheriff’s Office
U-Mass Lowell
Winthrop PD
Worcester PD

Michigan
Detroit PD
Lapeer County Sheriff’s Department
Muskegon County Sheriff’s Department

Minnesota
Benton County Sheriff’s Department
Hennepin Co. Sheriff’s Office

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire
Game and Wildlife officers
Nashua PD
State Police/Highway Patrol

New Jersey
Juvenile Justice Commission
Mountainside
Town of Fanwood

New Mexico
Albuquerque
State Police

New York
Ontario County Sherrifs Dept.
Syracuse PD
White Plains PD

North Carolina
Charlotte PD
Clayton PD
Department of Correction
Durham PD
Durham County Sheriff’s Office
North Dakota PD
Probation Parole
Raleigh PD
Rocky Mount
State Highway Patrol
Winston Salem PD

Ohio
Attorney General’s Health Care Fraud
Columbus PD
Cincinnati PD
East Cleveland PD
Forest Park PD
Franklin County PD
German Township
Lucas County SO
Medina PD
Wilmington PD
Springdale PD
The Orrville PD
Washington County Sheriff’s Dept
Woodlawn PD

Oklahoma
Dept. of Tourism & Recreation

Oregon

Pennsylvania
Falls Township PD

Rhode Island
Providence

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas
Austin PD
Dallas Fort Worth Airport PD
San Antonio PD
Texas DPS

Utah

Vermont
State Police

Virginia
Chesapeake SWAT
Newport News PD
West Virginia State Police
The Patrick County Sheriff’s Office

Washington
State Patrol
Department of Correction
Kent PD

West Virginia
State Police

Wisconsin
Dept. of Criminal Investigation
Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
Milwaukee PD

Wyoming
Highway Patrol

WalkingWolf

Nice choice. M&P is a good gun. Trigger's a little squishy and the Apex takes care of that, but that's a minor gripe in a high quality firearm. But, what does this have to do with the Glock 42? Are you saying that these departments have chosen an M&P over the Glock 42? That doesn't make any sense. I don't see how this proves your assertion that the Glock 42 is a POS?

Because probably some police have been injured with Glock Kabooms.

Haven Police Ditch Glocks After Two Explode
http://www.theledger.com/article/20080313/NEWS/803130481

Police handgun explodes while firing
http://communitypress.cincinnati.co...001/NEWS/Police handgun explodes while firing

Last edited:

mobiushky

mobiushky

Federal
Dept of Energy, OST Agents
DEA is authorizing the use of personally owned M&P pistols in 9mm, .40, and .45
Federal Reserve Board of Governors
Bureau of Engraving & Printing
IRS

Alabama
Madison County PD

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California
Atherton PD
California Parole
Concord PD
Los Angeles County Sheriff
State Parks Police

Colorado
State Patrol
Colorado Springs

Connecticut
Hartford PD
Waterbury PD

Delaware
New Castle County PD

Florida
Clearwater PD
Manatee County Sheriff’s Office
Tampa PD

Georgia
Atlanta PD

Hawaii
Hawaii Sheriff’s Office

Idaho

Illinois
North Chicago PD

Indiana
The Terre Haute Indiana PD

Iowa
State Patrol

Kansas
Wichita PD

Kentucky

Louisiana
Kenner PD

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts
State Police
Brookline PD
Lowell PD
Marlboro PD
Merrimac College
Springfield PD
Plymouth Sheriff’s Office
U-Mass Lowell
Winthrop PD
Worcester PD

Michigan
Detroit PD
Lapeer County Sheriff’s Department
Muskegon County Sheriff’s Department

Minnesota
Benton County Sheriff’s Department
Hennepin Co. Sheriff’s Office

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire
Game and Wildlife officers
Nashua PD
State Police/Highway Patrol

New Jersey
Juvenile Justice Commission
Mountainside
Town of Fanwood

New Mexico
Albuquerque
State Police

New York
Ontario County Sherrifs Dept.
Syracuse PD
White Plains PD

North Carolina
Charlotte PD
Clayton PD
Department of Correction
Durham PD
Durham County Sheriff’s Office
North Dakota PD
Probation Parole
Raleigh PD
Rocky Mount
State Highway Patrol
Winston Salem PD

Ohio
Attorney General’s Health Care Fraud
Columbus PD
Cincinnati PD
East Cleveland PD
Forest Park PD
Franklin County PD
German Township
Lucas County SO
Medina PD
Wilmington PD
Springdale PD
The Orrville PD
Washington County Sheriff’s Dept
Woodlawn PD

Oklahoma
Dept. of Tourism & Recreation

Oregon

Pennsylvania
Falls Township PD

Rhode Island
Providence

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas
Austin PD
Dallas Fort Worth Airport PD
San Antonio PD
Texas DPS

Utah

Vermont
State Police

Virginia
Chesapeake SWAT
Newport News PD
West Virginia State Police
The Patrick County Sheriff’s Office

Washington
State Patrol
Department of Correction
Kent PD

West Virginia
State Police

Wisconsin
Dept. of Criminal Investigation
Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
Milwaukee PD

Wyoming
Highway Patrol

All of these are switching from the Glock 42 to something else? Wait.... Didn't the 42 just come out? How could they be switching FROM a gun that just came out? What does this have to do with the title of the thread?

WalkingWolf

All of these are switching from the Glock 42 to something else? Wait.... Didn't the 42 just come out? How could they be switching FROM a gun that just came out? What does this have to do with the title of the thread?

I never said they were switching from the 42, though many switched from the perfect Glock. Again you are telling blatant LIES! And you have the gall to accuse others of spreading false facts.:lol:

BTW MY thread, I can shift the focus how ever I want. Don't like it, continue to whine, report, or be on your merry whiny way.

Last edited:

mobiushky

I never said they were switching from the 42, though many switched from the perfect Glock. Again you are telling blatant LIES! And you have the gall to accuse others of spreading false facts.:lol:

BTW MY thread, I can shift the focus how ever I want. Don't like it, continue to whine, report, or be on your merry whiny way.

So you're saying this thread is just a splatter shot of useless and unrelated sputum? OK. Will disregard your useless and pointless posts. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still curious to see how the Glock 42 in the wild. Whether the feeding issue is design flaw or break in thing.

Johnbo

There was one incident that I know of where a police/sheriff's dept were allowing inmates to load police handgun ammo as part of some kind of inmate work program. Turns out the inmates were simply filling the cartridge cases full of powder before setting the bullet in. Quite an explosive lesson in at least training the imates before putting them to work. The ammo was quickly recalled from their officers when the reason for exploding handguns was determined.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

So you're saying this thread is just a splatter shot of useless and unrelated sputum? OK. Will disregard your useless and pointless posts. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still curious to see how the Glock 42 in the wild. Whether the feeding issue is design flaw or break in thing.

You are more than welcome to walk away anytime you wish, but we both know you CANNOT do it.

WalkingWolf

There was one incident that I know of where a police/sheriff's dept were allowing inmates to load police handgun ammo as part of some kind of inmate work program. Turns out the inmates were simply filling the cartridge cases full of powder before setting the bullet in. Quite an explosive lesson in at least training the imates before putting them to work. The ammo was quickly recalled from their officers when the reason for exploding handguns was determined.

Do you have a cite for this? I would really like to read about it.

Kopis

someone pass me the popcorn please!

On to the original post tho, i have quite a few glocks and love them but i thought the G42 was overpriced considering the M&P shield can be found for $360-400 most places online or $400 at any gun show. GLOCK needed this release to go smooth. If these issues continue and arent addressed quickly it will hurt them long term. Look how conceited blackberry was for years and where they are today.

Last edited:

mobiushky

On to the original post tho, i have quite a few glocks and love them but i thought the G42 was overpriced considering the M&P shield can be found for $360-400 most places online or $400 at any gun show. GLOCK needed this release to go smooth. If these issues continue and arent addressed quickly it will hurt them long term. Look how conceited blackberry was for years and where they are today.

LOL! On the way...

Yeah, I see this as a pointless product honestly. It's possible that this is a "test bed" for a single stack 9mm, but like you said, why not get a shield?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Johnbo

Do you have a cite for this? I would really like to read about it.
So would I!

Inmates handling ammo, gunpowder, etc violates the standards/policies for every DOC related entity of which I am aware.

WalkingWolf

The shield is a very popular handgun, and the owners seem to love them.

WalkingWolf

Kopis, to be honest I have to say I am surprised with the problems with the 42, I am sure they will make them right. But paying that much money for a gun that has to be sent back would be depressing. A Glock forum member was selling his almost immediately after buying it. I tried to convince him to try breaking it in, or sending back, he was PO'd, and sold it, shame I couldn't get to him before someone else did. I would have sent it back to Glock after getting it.

To be fair I think most of the 42's problems are just break in. I told him to load the mags, lock the slide back, and leave it for a few days to a couple weeks.