Thread: Broken holster scenario question

Broken holster scenario question

I was reading on another forum reviewing different holsters and a poster wrote that he had broken the plastic/polycarbonate paddle that attached his holster to his hip. He explained that the holstered firearm snaged the arm of a chair as he sat down and snapped the paddle of his holster. This got me thinking and the following scenario and questions popped into my head:

Say this scenario happens while one is OCing and dining at a restaurant. This OCer either does not have CPL or does not have it on their person at the time. What would one do with their firearm now that it can no longer be attached to their body? Is it legit to just hand carry the holstered firearm in this situation? If one has a backpack would it be considered concealed carry to unload the firearm and stow in the backpack until the person arrives home to either secure the firearm or replace the holster?

Other than not buying a crappy paddle/holster how would those on this forum deal with this situation should it arise?

-Z
    Last edited by Zohan; 02-18-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Different laws in different states - someone local will be along shortly to offer state specific advice.

Generally though: Under no circumstances unload in a restaurant or anywhere public like that. Storage in a backpack is normally considered concealed.

I might simply tuck the entire rig in my waist band al la Mexican carry but with a holster.

BTW - that is precisely why I prefer OWB hostlers, that and I do not need over sized pants to comfortably accommodate IWB styles.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Walk out to your vehicle and secure it inside. Finish having dinner with your companion.

If using public transit, stuff the holstered firearm between belt and pants.

Quote Originally Posted by hovercat View Post
    stuff the holstered firearm between belt and pants.
    Absolutely! Common sense remedy to a simple problem. Hovercat, you have NO future in politics, you think too well.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I don't want to start another flame war over inanimate objects, but broken holsters are why I prefer good leather.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I don't want to start another flame war over inanimate objects, but broken holsters are why I prefer good leather.
    An inexpensive gun in a quality holster is a better combination than a high dollar pistola carried in a POS rig.

One must determine their priorities - if I have to choose, I will select function over form.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I agree, this is why I love my DeSantis leather holster. It can't break and it's also comfortable and very nice looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    If one has a backpack would it be considered concealed carry to unload the firearm and stow in the backpack until the person arrives home to either secure the firearm or replace the holster?
    If carrying an unloaded pistol such that it is "out of sight" is considered concealed carry, I propose that it is effectively illegal to buy a pistol in Washington state unless you are in possession of a concealed pistol license. Think about it, you are in possession of an unloaded pistol that is inside an opaque case (concealed). Thus you would be violating the law simply by transporting your new firearm from the gun store to your home.

Because of this, I can't imagine that having an unloaded pistol in a backpack would be considered concealed carry. Or at the very least it might be a compelling defense were such a charge to be brought against you?
    Last edited by FrayedString; 02-19-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: grammar

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by FrayedString View Post
    If carrying an unloaded pistol such that it is "out of sight" is considered concealed carry, I propose that it is effectively illegal to buy a pistol in Washington state unless you are in possession of a concealed pistol license. Think about it, you are in possession of an unloaded pistol that is inside an opaque case (concealed). Thus you would be violating the law simply by transporting your new firearm from the gun store to your home.

Because of this, I can't imagine that having an unloaded pistol in a backpack would be considered concealed carry. Or at the very least it might be a compelling defense were such a charge to be brought against you?
    Many folks,, in many states,, have put forth this inane argument,,, lots of times...
    I KNOW YOU are just making a point about their stupid logic,, or lack there of....

In Our State,,, 9.41.060 make unloaded carry in an opaque container,,, legal,, TRANSPORT!!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Many folks,, in many states,, have put forth this inane argument,,, lots of times...
    I KNOW YOU are just making a point about their stupid logic,, or lack there of....

In Our State,,, 9.41.060 make unloaded carry in an opaque container,,, legal,, TRANSPORT!!!!

Yeah, 9.41.060(9) should cover it. Good call, I'd forgotten about that!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    18-21 y.o. and a fanny pack.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)