• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Broken holster scenario question

Zohan

I was reading on another forum reviewing different holsters and a poster wrote that he had broken the plastic/polycarbonate paddle that attached his holster to his hip. He explained that the holstered firearm snaged the arm of a chair as he sat down and snapped the paddle of his holster. This got me thinking and the following scenario and questions popped into my head:

Say this scenario happens while one is OCing and dining at a restaurant. This OCer either does not have CPL or does not have it on their person at the time. What would one do with their firearm now that it can no longer be attached to their body? Is it legit to just hand carry the holstered firearm in this situation? If one has a backpack would it be considered concealed carry to unload the firearm and stow in the backpack until the person arrives home to either secure the firearm or replace the holster?

Other than not buying a crappy paddle/holster how would those on this forum deal with this situation should it arise?

-Z

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Different laws in different states - someone local will be along shortly to offer state specific advice.

Generally though: Under no circumstances unload in a restaurant or anywhere public like that. Storage in a backpack is normally considered concealed.

I might simply tuck the entire rig in my waist band al la Mexican carry but with a holster.

BTW - that is precisely why I prefer OWB hostlers, that and I do not need over sized pants to comfortably accommodate IWB styles.

hovercat

Walk out to your vehicle and secure it inside. Finish having dinner with your companion.

If using public transit, stuff the holstered firearm between belt and pants.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't want to start another flame war over inanimate objects, but broken holsters are why I prefer good leather.
An inexpensive gun in a quality holster is a better combination than a high dollar pistola carried in a POS rig.

One must determine their priorities - if I have to choose, I will select function over form.

Alpine

I don't want to start another flame war over inanimate objects, but broken holsters are why I prefer good leather.

I agree, this is why I love my DeSantis leather holster. It can't break and it's also comfortable and very nice looking.

FrayedString

If one has a backpack would it be considered concealed carry to unload the firearm and stow in the backpack until the person arrives home to either secure the firearm or replace the holster?

If carrying an unloaded pistol such that it is "out of sight" is considered concealed carry, I propose that it is effectively illegal to buy a pistol in Washington state unless you are in possession of a concealed pistol license. Think about it, you are in possession of an unloaded pistol that is inside an opaque case (concealed). Thus you would be violating the law simply by transporting your new firearm from the gun store to your home.

Because of this, I can't imagine that having an unloaded pistol in a backpack would be considered concealed carry. Or at the very least it might be a compelling defense were such a charge to be brought against you?

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

If carrying an unloaded pistol such that it is "out of sight" is considered concealed carry, I propose that it is effectively illegal to buy a pistol in Washington state unless you are in possession of a concealed pistol license. Think about it, you are in possession of an unloaded pistol that is inside an opaque case (concealed). Thus you would be violating the law simply by transporting your new firearm from the gun store to your home.

Because of this, I can't imagine that having an unloaded pistol in a backpack would be considered concealed carry. Or at the very least it might be a compelling defense were such a charge to be brought against you?

Many folks,, in many states,, have put forth this inane argument,,, lots of times...
I KNOW YOU are just making a point about their stupid logic,, or lack there of.... :lol::lol::lol:

In Our State,,, 9.41.060 make unloaded carry in an opaque container,,, legal,, TRANSPORT!!!!

FrayedString

Many folks,, in many states,, have put forth this inane argument,,, lots of times...
I KNOW YOU are just making a point about their stupid logic,, or lack there of.... :lol::lol::lol:

In Our State,,, 9.41.060 make unloaded carry in an opaque container,,, legal,, TRANSPORT!!!!

Yeah, 9.41.060(9) should cover it. Good call, I'd forgotten about that!