• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An Open Letter To The Men And Women Of The Connecticut State Police

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I did see that. But I figured that Mr. Grapeshot would drastically edit my post if he missed it. I felt it best that I edited it rather than Grape. Besides, what I posted was already very long. The entire article would have been far too lengthy.
He's here.

Tackleberry1

Bingo...

All Americans are waking up to the notion that when the boot is upon your neck:

you won't care if its a left boot or a right boot

I agree with both these sentiments. I see the biggest danger is a lack of cohesiveness in the 2A community. Divide and conquer will be the MO of those in CT attempting to enforce the current unconstitutional laws. The numbers are sufficient, I wonder if the will is also.

Freedom First

Bingo...

All Americans are waking up to the notion that when the boot is upon your neck:

you won't care if its a left boot or a right boot

Nice.

Mike Vanderbaugh is someone I think folks should listen to. But make your own choice. Sure he occasionally writes long letters but then again who else did? Paine, Henry, Jefferson, Washington (i.e. ever read the Farewell Address?) all were known to write some real barn burners. And people read them and were changed by the experience. A little patience and some diligence will pay off in the end.

CT Barfly

Nice.

Mike Vanderbaugh is someone I think folks should listen to. But make your own choice. Sure he occasionally writes long letters but then again who else did? Paine, Henry, Jefferson, Washington (i.e. ever read the Farewell Address?) all were known to write some real barn burners. And people read them and were changed by the experience. A little patience and some diligence will pay off in the end.

this guy is mentally ill...he doesn't represent me or my feelings on the subject.

mentioning his name along with the likes of Paine, Henry, Jefferson, and Washington is more than a stretch.

:(

davidmcbeth

Banned
this guy is mentally ill...he doesn't represent me or my feelings on the subject.

mentioning his name along with the likes of Paine, Henry, Jefferson, and Washington is more than a stretch.

I don't see any evidence of mental illness, he does like to send letters to folks far away from him ... so what...

And he doesn't represent anyone but himself ... people may like what he says or dislike him.

Aside from his letters that I think are just jabs, I like what he says.

And some/most of the people listed were slave owners ... soooo

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran

Mental illness is largely a matter of consensus opinion. Insanity is determined by the society in which a person lives. Which is why tying gun ownership to mental illness is so dangerous. It would be easy for the powers-that-be to say, "Anyone that wants to own a gun is insane, therefore they must be prohibited from owning a gun."

I'm willing to bet many, many, many people at the time thought that our founding fathers were insane.

Food for thought.

solus

why, oh why, do we as a society automatically go for the 'MENTAL ILLNESS' button when we encounter individuals who go outside the box in their pronouncements. So, unless you have personally run a thorough Bio/Soc/Psy work-up or done a forensic work-up and are appropriately trained to interpret the resulting data, please release your grip on the button as it is, at this time based on what is known is an inaccurate perception.

Running wolf is quite astute in their comment, '...tying gun ownership to mental illness is so dangerous.' Especially since, of late, the majority of those mass murders are using the mentally adjudication for their defense.

me thinks the Crown might have had that perception of our founding fathers, i personally like the word...eccentric!!

ipse

Last edited:

CT Barfly

why, oh why, do we as a society automatically go for the 'MENTAL ILLNESS' button when we encounter individuals who go outside the box in their pronouncements. So, unless you have personally run a thorough Bio/Soc/Psy work-up or done a forensic work-up and are appropriately trained to interpret the resulting data, please release your grip on the button as it is, at this time based on what is known is an inaccurate perception.

Running wolf is quite astute in their comment, '...tying gun ownership to mental illness is so dangerous.' Especially since, of late, the majority of those mass murders are using the mentally adjudication for their defense.

me thinks the Crown might have had that perception of our founding fathers, i personally like the word...eccentric!!

ipse

you must be one of the guys who read the Unabomber's manifesto and thought "hmm, sounds ok to me." amirite?

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
you must be one of the guys who read the Unabomber's manifesto and thought "hmm, sounds ok to me." amirite?

I hope Solus doesn't dignify this with a response. CTB, this is an infraction of forum rules:

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned

You seem to have a fascination with the science of mental illness .... I'm sure that there is a university nearby that you can apply your interests ...

CT Barfly

I hope Solus doesn't dignify this with a response. CTB, this is an infraction of forum rules:

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

You call that a personal attack? I'm simply asking if the guy harbors a particular absurd belief.

There was nothing declarative about my statement...I don't know solus from a hole in the ground, aside from the posts i've read.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
You call that a personal attack? I'm simply asking if the guy harbors a particular absurd belief.

There was nothing declarative about my statement...I don't know solus from a hole in the ground, aside from the posts i've read.

Hmmm, you were actually making an assumption. Your statement was "you must be one of those guys that . . ." Adding "amirite?" on the end doesn't make your statement a question.

Only crazy people can't make a distinction between a statement and a question.

notalawyer

Hmmm, you were actually making an assumption. Your statement was "you must be one of those guys that . . ." Adding "amirite?" on the end doesn't make your statement a question.

Only crazy people can't make a distinction between a statement and a question.

Yeah, it sort of does.

Do you know the difference between a question mark (?) and a period (.)?

Hint: In case you misunderstand, the above is a question.

Last edited:

Freedom First

Well, simply put, your ignorance is showing. These I referred to were all men known to write fairly long documents, letters and even the occasional tirade. And I am sure that in their day, there were folks, many happened to be closet Tories, who couldn't be bothered to actually sit, read and then think about the ideas put forth. And while I never inferred that Vanderbaugh somehow represented you, the simple fact of his writing, just as Paine's Common Sense made the rounds of the Colonies and had its deep effect, this man's words resonate with many and may shape the coming years.

But hey, it's every man's fundamental choice of course, to admit he might not know everything and do some studying or he can sit back and attack anything he hasn't taken the time to understand.