• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer arrested on VSU campus

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap

Yep!
Kinda doubt VCDL will get involved though. They've been reluctant to do it in the past.
Why is that, or why do you think that has been the case?
Often times the specific, verifiable circumstances are not known until after the charges are dropped and an attorney has been secured. The information is normally reported in Va-Alerts though. If the person is already a BG, that too is reported with clarification.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Often times the specific, verifiable circumstances are not known until after the charges are dropped and an attorney has been secured. The information is normally reported in Va-Alerts though. If the person is already a BG, that too is reported with clarification.

Better answer than mine!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Better answer than mine!
Once in the hands of an attorney, little public discussion will take place until after the fact. Sometimes even then non-disclosure agreements limit what will be told.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
According to the Chesterfield County General District Court website Mr. Spratley's case number is GC14001762-00. The only violation listed is a violation of 18.2-308, which of course is questionable given that his sidearm could apparently be seen (assuming there's only 1), thus prompting the initial call. Be interesting to see if being a dark man openly carrying a sidearm means a concealed weapons charge in Chesterfield. His arraignment date is 2/25/14 for those interested.

An M.T. Lewis is listed as the complainant here.

Last edited:

papa bear

might be a good time to do a OC street clean up or just a meet and greet on campus.

might even want to invite some media to watch the arrests

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Premature me thinks - don't have a full picture of what took place yet.

I agree and think it'd be a real bad idea anyway. This is a time when we have to OC and uphold our rights but if we start being painted as bullies, which we would, we will just asking to be dumped on.

The Wolfhound

My imagination may be on overdrive, but

The gentleman may have been crossing campus with indescreet carry and tried to conceal when approached by police. Considering recent history at VSU, I have no doubt that the police felt required to respond to the MWAG call. Events from that point are the realm of speculation, to which, I must admit to have added.

wrearick

slight wander off target here. Last week in another thread I asked about the legality of carrying in the new joint use library on the Tidewater community college campus in virginia beach. I did so and had no issues but following through some of the links in this thread I came across this VAC..
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC95-10-20 code which applies to community colleges. for those that don't always follow links here is a portion of that entry.

A. Possession or carrying of any weapon by any person, except a police officer, is prohibited on college property in academic buildings, administrative office buildings, student centers, child care centers, dining facilities and places of like kind where people congregate, or while attending any sporting, entertainment, or educational events. Entry upon the aforementioned college property in violation of this prohibition is expressly forbidden.

B. Any individual in violation of this prohibition will be asked to remove the weapon immediately. Failure to comply may result in a student conduct referral, an employee disciplinary action, or arrest.

I think a library would fall under academic building but am not a lawyer so don't know for sure. What is the best way to get a real legal opinion on this?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
slight wander off target here. Last week in another thread I asked about the legality of carrying in the new joint use library on the Tidewater community college campus in virginia beach. I did so and had no issues but following through some of the links in this thread I came across this VAC..
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC95-10-20 code which applies to community colleges. for those that don't always follow links here is a portion of that entry.

A. Possession or carrying of any weapon by any person, except a police officer, is prohibited on college property in academic buildings, administrative office buildings, student centers, child care centers, dining facilities and places of like kind where people congregate, or while attending any sporting, entertainment, or educational events. Entry upon the aforementioned college property in violation of this prohibition is expressly forbidden.

B. Any individual in violation of this prohibition will be asked to remove the weapon immediately. Failure to comply may result in a student conduct referral, an employee disciplinary action, or arrest.

I think a library would fall under academic building but am not a lawyer so don't know for sure. What is the best way to get a real legal opinion on this?

The ultimate legal opinion comes from the courts. Even then it ain't always the last word considering people are still being arrested for having a firearm in their glove box despite an Appeals Court ruling.

I always ask User. He'll give you two answers...the correct legal analysis and the "Do you feel lucky" analysis. When he says "I wouldn't want to test it"...I don't!

wrearick

Thanks Peter. I have already sent user a PM and recognized already the distinction that exists between legal and having to go before a judge to try and prove the officer's understanding was incomplete or flawed. I asked user for both his legal opinion and then his "recommendation" on the prudence of testing the issue. I may have been lucky the first time and I may not roll the dice again but would feel bad if my other post resulted in someone following in my footsteps and not being as lucky. If they go in with all the facts and insight available fine but I want them to have all the info I have on the matter.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I agree and think it'd be a real bad idea anyway. This is a time when we have to OC and uphold our rights but if we start being painted as bullies, which we would, we will just asking to be dumped on.

There have been times when we (OCers as a group) have been accused of "Open Carrying At" as opposed to merely open carrying. As examples, many of the Starbucks events elsewhere than Virginia, and the Texas long-gun OC events. The former were more designed tro cause controversy than the latter.

I agree that now is especially not a good time to "Open Carry At" VSU or anybody else. OTOH, every day ending in the letter "Y" is a great day to open carry.

stay safe.

Repeater

Richmond Schools over-react

Typical. Better safe than sorry:

Richmond schools placed on lockdown as precaution
At least two Richmond schools were placed on lockdown Wednesday afternoon when two trespassers were spotted outside of John Marshall High School with what appeared to be guns, according to Richmond schools spokeswoman Felicia Cosby.

“The trespassers have been taken into police custody, and an investigation is underway,” Cosby said.

What "appeared to be" guns? Really?

DocWalker

If you have a gun tattoo you are sooooo screwed if you have to cross school grounds. If the tattoo is on your arm and you raise it then you might get shot for pointing it at an officer...be carful our there.