• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer arrested on VSU campus

DocWalker

I sure hope this is a private school and not funded by even $1.00 of taxpayer money. I hope the campus also has to pay a large settlement when he sues the school.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Guess we are left to consider the person refused the request to leave the property as the Statute allows for.
Point of order - Virginia Adminstrative Codes are not statutes.

The way that particular code section is written it could apply to virtually anyone armed anywhere on campus - that won't hold water.

Refusal to leave (trespass) generally causes a citation/summons to be issued (misdemeanor) - not cuffed and stuffed.

OC for ME

Point of order - Virginia Adminstrative Codes are not statutes.

The way that particular code section is written it could apply to virtually anyone armed anywhere on campus - that won't hold water.

Refusal to leave (trespass) generally causes a citation/summons to be issued (misdemeanor) - not cuffed and stuffed.
But not always it seems. This incident will be very interesting to follow.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If the man is not a student, faculty, or staff as mentioned, or a visitor attending an event where people congregate in any public or outdoor areas, then I'm not sure that the regulation would apply (such as if he were simply taking a walk across campus).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If the man is not a student, faculty, or staff as mentioned, or a visitor attending an event where people congregate in any public or outdoor areas, then I'm not sure that the regulation would apply (such as if he were simply taking a walk across campus).

Cops have trouble understanding secured container.....imagine one trying to figure out if a regulation applies.

Maverick9

It's for the children...

Oh, wait...
Ten minutes later police arrested a male, who isn't a student for carrying a weapon on university property and carrying a concealed weapon.

How did they see it if it was concealed?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
More information

I wondered if he wasn't carrying two guns. One OC, and a concealed backup gun too? (or some other concealed 'weapon'?)
Officers detained two men who Reed said were not students at 11:10 a.m. One of the men was carrying a weapon.

The suspect, whose identity is not yet being released, will be charged in Chesterfield County with carrying a weapon on university property and carrying a concealed weapon.
http://wtvr.com/2014/02/19/vsu-gun-arrest/

One man was arrested by VSU police and will be charged in Chesterfield County with carrying a weapon on university property and carrying a concealed weapon, according to a statement by university spokesman...
http://progress-index.com/news/man-...d-students-upset-by-no-notification-1.1637716

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Officers detained two men who Reed said were not students at 11:10 a.m. One of the men was carrying a weapon.

The suspect, whose identity is not yet being released, will be charged in Chesterfield County with carrying a weapon on university property and carrying a concealed weapon.

One man was arrested by VSU police and will be charged in Chesterfield County with carrying a weapon on university property and carrying a concealed weapon, according to a statement by university spokesman...
http://progress-index.com/news/man-...d-students-upset-by-no-notification-1.1637716

Two questions come up. One has already been asked. If it was concealed, how did they see it. The other is if they are using the carrying on University Property as an add on.
Starting to sound like they were detained for something else and searched.

Blk97F150

Don't misunderstand... I'm not saying that ANY of the charges are proper... I'm just trying to figure out how they ended up with a concealed charge if the gun was visible. I guessed that backup gun might explain that part of it. (although, yes... there are still other outstanding questions... ).

One thing I noticed as well... every article indicates that he 'will be charged' (meaning he hasn't been yet??)... and they have refused to release the mans name because they are 'still investigating'. I wonder if they know they are treading on thin ice, and are trying to figure out where they go from here?

Last edited:

TFred

The big problem here is that the knuckleheads will read the headlines and "know" that it is against the law to carry a gun onto a university campus.

Of course they will "drop" the "charge" because it doesn't exist! But does THAT make the headlines? Of course not. Cops win, they have just convinced 10% more of the people that they are now SURE it's illegal because they READ it in the newspaper!

Assuming what we think, that this is a trumped up charge, VCDL should INSIST that this be resolved just as publicly as it was started. It's in everyone's interest to stop this sort of propaganda, which is EXACTLY what it is.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The big problem here is that the knuckleheads will read the headlines and "know" that it is against the law to carry a gun onto a university campus.

Of course they will "drop" the "charge" because it doesn't exist! But does THAT make the headlines? Of course not. Cops win, they have just convinced 10% more of the people that they are now SURE it's illegal because they READ it in the newspaper!

Assuming what we think, that this is a trumped up charge, VCDL should INSIST that this be resolved just as publicly as it was started. It's in everyone's interest to stop this sort of propaganda, which is EXACTLY what it is.

TFred

Yep!
Kinda doubt VCDL will get involved though. They've been reluctant to do it in the past.

2a4all

Two questions come up. One has already been asked. If it was concealed, how did they see it. The other is if they are using the carrying on University Property as an add on.
Starting to sound like they were detained for something else and searched.
I have to agree with Nap here.

The thread title "OCer Arrested..." may be a misnomer. If the individual was detained and subsequently searched and found to be CCing without a CHP, then a charge of Carrying a Concealed Weapon would logically follow. The "Carrying on Campus" charge might have been tacked on, but may not have any teeth if the individual wasn't associated with the school.

I doubt VCDL would get involved until more is known about the firearm carry charge. It might actually be legit.