• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia Police Shoot Unarmed Teen As He Answers Their Knock At Door

PistolPackingMomma

(snip)The Euharlee Police Department issued a statement saying that "while we are disappointed with the grand jury findings...

(snip) Records show Gatny was reprimanded at least 12 times over her 10 years at the Acworth Police Department...

I wish I could say I'm at a loss for words.

Hopefully she will reap the same sentence as a civilian for her actions.

OC for ME

It may be another case of Culpeperitis. The totality of the circumstances, from the cop's perspective, may reduce the severity of the charges. The case is before the prosecuting attorney.....we shall see.

Oh.....the cop has been on paid leave since the incident.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I saw that too. Refraining from sharing my thoughts, as they would surely be moderated. :cuss:
That being the case PPM, you are the very essence of self-moderation and to be commended.
icon14.png

sudden valley gunner

Further information is required. The details are very few in the report. The prototypical response by the Euharlee PD to the grand jury findings.

I wish I could say I'm at a loss for words.

Thanks for the update and keeping us informed.

Hopefully she will reap the same sentence as a civilian for her actions.

+1

OC for ME

http://www.daily-tribune.com/view/f...uharlee-police-shooting?instance=most_popular

Greene said in the release that she will seek additional evidence to determine “what, if any, criminal violations may have occurred as a part of this case and will submit the findings for potential action by a future Grand Jury.”
What additional evidence? Wasn't all collected by GBI and the other cops? :banghead:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/grand-jury-finds-officers-use-force-not-authorize/nffrh/

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...cle_8c360dbc-caeb-11e3-9645-001a4bcf6878.html

http://cartersville.patch.com/group...-unauthorized-force-in-fatal-shooting-of-teen

Not much new, really, but a few tidbits.

PistolPackingMomma

Isn't it comforting to know a civilian would get just as many opportunities for "more" evidence to appear?

*sigh*

Thanks for keeping us updated.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
So show me the law that says I can't tell you to holster a firearm or put it down if in your home on legitimate business.

Sorry, this just is not going to happen. I do not allow LEOs to enter my home. You wish to speak to me, we do it outside where I will have more room to maneuver. To get into my home you will need a good warrant.

Primus

Sorry, this just is not going to happen. I do not allow LEOs to enter my home. You wish to speak to me, we do it outside where I will have more room to maneuver. To get into my home you will need a good warrant.

Or exigent circumstances.

But point taken.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

If ever faced with a similar situation, I’d likely refuse to answer the door, and loudly announce that I was calling 911 to verify that a police unit is actually. If they are real cops, I suspect that they’ll understand and will wait the few seconds to few minutes it will take for the dispatcher to verify a cop at your location.

:lol: How quaint.

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

I shouldn't laugh. This guy's plan is very likely to get him killed should this ever happen to him.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Cops may not understand.

Exigent circumstances -all a cop needs to articulate, after the fact, is that he thought he heard something, or thought someone was in distress.

The victim of exigent circumstance, wrongly applied, has a every long road to travel in the hopes gaining redress.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Or exigent circumstances.

But point taken.

And who determines "exigent circumstances"? When you(not you personally) come thru my door like "gangbusters" Mine will not be the only body bag picked up that day. "Wrong house"? Poor planning. Got a warrant? Do not enter unannounced and I include the 'ram" as you will be met with force. Got a uniform on?> So what, you can get them at goodwill. I do not break the law so don't hand me that "exigent circumstances" cr@p, I have heard it before.

Rapid Rant is now over

Primus

And who determines "exigent circumstances"? When you(not you personally) come thru my door like "gangbusters" Mine will not be the only body bag picked up that day. "Wrong house"? Poor planning. Got a warrant? Do not enter unannounced and I include the 'ram" as you will be met with force. Got a uniform on?> So what, you can get them at goodwill. I do not break the law so don't hand me that "exigent circumstances" cr@p, I have heard it before.

Rapid Rant is now over

All a perfectly good stance to take.

I prefer the stance of NO body bags. But to each his own.

And this is clearly all hypothetical because I'm doubtful you'll ever be in the position of having to deal with this since you seem to be a pretty upstanding guy.

DocWalker

All a perfectly good stance to take.

I prefer the stance of NO body bags. But to each his own.

And this is clearly all hypothetical because I'm doubtful you'll ever be in the position of having to deal with this since you seem to be a pretty upstanding guy.

The Marine killed by cops going to the wrong house was a pretty upstanding guy also, but hey it couldn't happen to you....never...ever happen to you....

Primus

The Marine killed by cops going to the wrong house was a pretty upstanding guy also, but hey it couldn't happen to you....never...ever happen to you....

The marine running drugs with the cartel? Or his brother that was staying with him who was the subject of the warrant? They didnt just randomly pick his house.

Above is from memory I may be wrong. If so I'll gladly stand corrected.