• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia Police Shoot Unarmed Teen As He Answers Their Knock At Door

DocWalker

Well, upon further review, a misdemeanor may be in the good officer's future, may be. This event may disbar her from further wok in the LE field, aside from her voluntarily exiting the LE field. But there is no guarantee. There is no "negligent homicide" in the GA Code, that I could find.

Again, nothing more than a civil matter at this point if I read the GA Code correctly.

So your saying she KILLS an unarmed child and then gets of with a slap on the wrist and or a medical retirement at taxpayer expense. Then to add insult to injury (so to speak) the taxpayers will be forking out a big settlement for her ineptitude.

Nice...

DocWalker

If a citizen did what that cop did there most certainly would not be equal justice being applied. The burden placed upon We The People when we discharge our weapon in "self defense" is not always equal to a cop's use of her weapon in "self defense."

That is because "We the people" don't have a union behind us.....

davidmcbeth

Banned
What crime has the officer committed? Perusing the Georgia Code, her act and her justification for her act does not seem to meet the requirements to be charged with the child's death. Title 16, Chapter 5 of the GA Code.

This will be a civil matter. Criminal charges will most likely not be filed. I hope that I am wrong.

Just a terrible yet unfortunate accident.

I think that you have to be wrong ... people cannot just go up to a house, knock on a door and shoot the person who answers..and if you're broke, its a freebie??

OC for ME

So your saying she KILLS an unarmed child and then gets of with a slap on the wrist and or a medical retirement at taxpayer expense. Then to add insult to injury (so to speak) the taxpayers will be forking out a big settlement for her ineptitude.

Nice...
I'm saying that I could not find a criminal code in GA that could be applied to this incident, IANAL. I suspect that the "slap on the wrist" is of a legal nature only. Yes, she may be eligible for a "work related injury" (PTSD?) regarding any "retirement/disability" compensation. And yes, the citizens of GA will foot the bill.

Though, a civil redress is in some doubt at this point based on EPD's current official position. Their position may change, but we will not know until the GBI releases their investigation findings.

Again, a civil matter at this point in time.

OC for ME

I think that you have to be wrong ... people cannot just go up to a house, knock on a door and shoot the person who answers..and if you're broke, its a freebie??
Sure they can, if they justify their weapon discharge on having a weapon pointed at them when the door is opened. It is what the good officer is claiming.

Based on the facts currently present in this incident, equal outcomes, equal treatment.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sure they can, if they justify their weapon discharge on having a weapon pointed at them when the door is opened. It is what the good officer is claiming.

Based on the facts currently present in this incident, equal outcomes, equal treatment.

As with all shootings involving death ... self defense is a proper hurdle for the prosecution to overcome.

DocWalker

As with all shootings involving death ... self defense is a proper hurdle for the prosecution to overcome.

The only add to this is that:

1. The prosecution will look for a reason to charge and procecute the average "Joe Citizen".

2. The posecution will look for reasons NOT to charge and procecute and "Officer of the Law".

The key being that both the procecutor and the police are on the same team, haven't you ever watched Law and Order?

(This was ment in the most sarcastic way)

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Knock-knock. Who's there? Bang.

Officer cried after committing negligent homicide (at best)? I'm sorry, but, I'm not feeling any sympathy. Officer being a human has nothing to do with it...

There are many good points being made in this thread. I agree that the shooter should be treated the same as any other citizen in this matter. I agree that her sorrow is completely outweighed by the sorrow felt by the family of the victim. I agree that there have been a surfeit of posts on OCDO that border on, and sometimes are obviously cop-bashing.

I realize this is a thread derailment, and it's important to me to discuss this. I feel very little sympathy for the shooter. My concern is for myself, and for those I care about.

The only way to make any positive changes in our society is to lead by example. Our government and it's representatives are a large part of our society as a whole. We cannot dismiss off-hand all members of the government in general, or the various police forces in particular. It's easy to succumb to hate, derision, and spite. It's easy to condemn an entire group of people based on the behavior of a few members of that group. I struggle to stay on the high road, and sometimes I fall off. But I know taking the easy way has gotten us where we are today, and so I choose to take the more difficult path of treating others as I would be treated myself.

I exhort all members of OCDO to do their best to rise above hate, derision and spite. Not only on the board, but in all their actions.

[/soapbox]

:)

DocWalker

There are many good points being made in this thread. I agree that the shooter should be treated the same as any other citizen in this matter. I agree that her sorrow is completely outweighed by the sorrow felt by the family of the victim. I agree that there have been a surfeit of posts on OCDO that border on, and sometimes are obviously cop-bashing.

I realize this is a thread derailment, and it's important to me to discuss this. I feel very little sympathy for the shooter. My concern is for myself, and for those I care about.

The only way to make any positive changes in our society is to lead by example. Our government and it's representatives are a large part of our society as a whole. We cannot dismiss off-hand all members of the government in general, or the various police forces in particular. It's easy to succumb to hate, derision, and spite. It's easy to condemn an entire group of people based on the behavior of a few members of that group. I struggle to stay on the high road, and sometimes I fall off. But I know taking the easy way has gotten us where we are today, and so I choose to take the more difficult path of treating others as I would be treated myself.

I exhort all members of OCDO to do their best to rise above hate, derision and spite. Not only on the board, but in all their actions.

[/soapbox]

With that I love part of your signature block and I do feel it fits in this sad case.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor"

OC for ME

[/soapbox]

Your premise is incorrect.

She should be treated as the law allows. A citizen should be treated the same as that cop in that situation. Unfortunately that is routinely not the case. Cops and prosecutors are pretty good at seeing a clear case of justifiable self defense where a citizen is involved. It (a justified shot) being the default "assumption", based only on the word of that cop, is the issue, and why more and more citizens are increasingly feeling disenfranchised by their "justice system."

The acceptance at face value of the cops accounting of that event by EPD before a investigation is complete is the singular problem with all of LE. It is notable that EPD has zipped their lips based on the meager details from eye witness accounts.

It is not cop bashing to illuminate the obvious double standard once again on display by the LEA.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Your premise is incorrect.

She should be treated as the law allows. A citizen should be treated the same as that cop in that situation. Unfortunately that is routinely not the case. Cops and prosecutors are pretty good at seeing a clear case of justifiable self defense where a citizen is involved. It (a justified shot) being the default "assumption", based only on the word of that cop, is the issue, and why more and more citizens are increasingly feeling disenfranchised by their "justice system."

The acceptance at face value of the cops accounting of that event by EPD before a investigation is complete is the singular problem with all of LE. It is notable that EPD has zipped their lips based on the meager details from eye witness accounts.

It is not cop bashing to illuminate the obvious double standard once again on display by the LEA.

You're right; I was using "short hand" if you will. I agree that every citizen should be treated equally under the law. It's interesting to note that the police tend to treat fellow police innocent until proven guilty while non-police are typically treated as guilty until proven innocent. And yes, pointing out hypocrisy is not bashing.

OC for ME

Harget did say that the two officers who were involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave with pay pending completion of the investigation. He again declined to identify the officers.

“We can’t release their names, the reason being some of their families don’t even know they were involved,” Harget said. “We’re trying to protect their privacy.”

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...11e3-896c-001a4bcf6878.html#facebook-comments
Update, sort of.

papa bear

I think you're missing PPM's point, one with which I agree. The officer was understandably upset about mistakenly shooting someone, because officer's are, contrary to some people's assertions, human.
Unfortunately, this was a case of one human that murdered another. how quick was the shot from the time the door open till the shooting

papa bear

"The officer allegedly fired at the teen and hit his shoulder. The source said he bled to death before emergency response crews arrived."
what. wait a minute. they are telling us that he bled out, because no one there could have done first responder trauma treatment
they couldn't have put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding?

OC for ME

This one says he did have a gun but it may have been a BB gun. So it wasn't a Wii controller?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Some witnesses(s) stated that he had only a Wii controller in his hand. The cops have not confirmed, or denied, the presence of a gun, even a BB gun. If a gun, even a BB gun had been present the cops would confirm that. Especially since the EPD chief categrorically stated that the cop saw a gun pointed at her and she shot the kid as a result of her seeing a gun. Now, they will not even repeat what they have already publicly stated.

I suspect that the almost primeval desire LE has to justify a cop's actions where they shoot a citizen got the better of them this time. We shall see.

As I stated earlier, it is likely that no criminal sanctions will be taken if I read GA code correctly. It is what it is, in GA. Civil sanctions will be equally difficult to obtain.

A regrettable incident.....a family destroyed. Another black eye for LE everywhere.

sudden valley gunner

I have read many reports and have learned to not believe them.

If there was any sort of gun that info would be out and confirmed by the department. My guess is there was not yet she reported it. So they will hide behind the "investigation".