• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another crazy Temple arrest....

stealthyeliminator

Jason Orsek, VP of Come and Take It, was arrested yesterday for Unlawful Carrying Weapons. The problem with this arrest? Jason was on private property, with permission of the property owner, which was verified by the arresting officer prior to the arrest.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.02

As this is obviously not a violation of UCW, expect the charges to change a half a dozen times until they think they've found something they can get worked thru their kangaroo court. https://www.facebook.com/comeandtakeittexas

OC for ME

File criminal charges against the arresting cop. False this, wrongful that, unlawful use of..., then sue the pants off of the cop and his cop buddies.

Primus

Jason Orsek, VP of Come and Take It, was arrested yesterday for Unlawful Carrying Weapons. The problem with this arrest? Jason was on private property, with permission of the property owner, which was verified by the arresting officer prior to the arrest.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.02

As this is obviously not a violation of UCW, expect the charges to change a half a dozen times until they think they've found something they can get worked thru their kangaroo court. https://www.facebook.com/comeandtakeittexas

The statute you provided doesn't say there's an exception for someone else's property. Unless your going to say that his buddies land was under his control? Didn't see anything about public land versus private land. It just says doesn't pay if your in YOUR land or land you control.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
The statute you provided doesn't say there's an exception for someone else's property. Unless your going to say that his buddies land was under his control? Didn't see anything about public land versus private land. It just says doesn't pay if your in YOUR land or land you control.

True BUT ... from statue
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

AND .. from FB page
Jason Orsek, VP of CATI, was illegally arrested on February 19th. He was sitting in a parked vehicle in a church parking lot using their Wi-Fi signal

the vehicleappears to be under his ownership or control ...

Looks like he is likely not guilty to me...thought he FB page isn't gospel and it does not say "his car"

stealthyeliminator

Is he covered by the fact that he had permission to be on the property? I can't answer that definitively. What I can answer definitively is that this arrest was unjust, unconstitutional and immoral.

OC for ME

It does not matter if the car was his. He was in control of the car by his presence. As long as he was not unlawfully "possessing" the car he is good. It seems that this will come down to whose definition of "plain view" that will be upheld.

FreeInAZ

Wonder how much Mr. Orsek paid in legal fees.

I suppose it should all be considered water under the bridge now? /sarcasm

Hope to hear more.

It's called fiscal re-eduction by Opinion Enforcement Officers. They see someone doing something legal, yet they find annoying, their answer? Cook up some bogus charges, and teach the person a lesson of "law be damned! I am the law! You rub my sensibilities the wrong way, you'll pay!"

Sad but true tactic OEO's have been using for decades now. :(

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's called fiscal re-eduction by Opinion Enforcement Officers. They see someone doing something legal, yet they find annoying, their answer? Cook up some bogus charges, and teach the person a lesson of "law be damned! I am the law! You rub my sensibilities the wrong way, you'll pay!"

Sad but true tactic OEO's have been using for decades now. :(

They have tried it with me several times; but but but, I resist so they have the option of : a) going away or b) fight to the death

They always just go away.

zekester

Too Ironic

Here is a good write up on this incident. http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/02/bogus-arrest-of-open-carry-activist-in.html

It sounds like they have no case, what-so-ever, and they probably knew that when they made the arrest.

The same language that saved him....will be stricken from HB195

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

The below is stricken....

(1) on the person's own premises, or premises under the
person's control, or with permission of the premises owner

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

The same language that saved him....will be stricken from HB195

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

The below is stricken....

(1) on the person's own premises, or premises under the
person's control, or with permission of the premises owner

Either you don't understand the bill or you're being deceitful. He'd have been completely and unambiguously covered with hb195.

stealthyeliminator

It is not written....so therefore not a crime

...... Which is preferable...... What's the problem? Where's the point?

...... This bill strikes Texas' longstanding prohibition on handgun possession from the law. That's a great thing. It's much preferable to writing new law, or modifying the existing, to "allow" handgun possession. This bill accomplishes the goal in the best way, by striking bad law from existence.