Thread: Help a Poor Texan Dream of a Holster

Help a Poor Texan Dream of a Holster

This is my first attempt at deciding on a holster, and I have no idea what brands out there are good or bad. I just found what looks to be reputable and have built my decisions on my own research using Google (a.k.a. infallible information).

In order of importance, my criteria were:
    Left-handed
    Glock 19
    1 level of retention above friction only
    Fits 1.5" belt
    Holds with or without light (bonus)

Here's my initial findings:
    Safariland 3280-2832-132-2
    1.5" belt loop adapter plate
    AresGear 1.5" IGL Ranger Belt
    Streamlight TLR-1 HL

The only thing more I would consider is a holster that would hold a G19 with or without a Surefire light attached. How did I do, and what would you change?

Go to a gun store. Try them out. Buy one. Prices are typically competitive and you get the benefit of the gunstore's knowledge of what works & doesn't work regarding particulars. In Dallas to Ray's sporting goods in west Dallas - just down around the corner from Clyde Barrow's grave.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Have you looked into the Safariland 6378?

It comes in both light and non-light versions with the added bonus of a very unobtrusive, easily used thumb release. It will also hold securely with or without the light attached.

I thought about a holster with light, but decided instead to go with a separately carried light that could be attached when needed. My daily carry is a Safariland Rapid Light System. Not quite as proprietary as a Streamlight, and a much, much less expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41nzBMVtQdL._AA300_.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	11295  
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-21-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Have you looked into the Safariland 6378?
    I have, though I was under the impression that it would not retain the gun without the light attached as referenced here. I'll call and ask.

I know a lot of people prefer Surefire to Streamlight (including Chris Costa ZOMG), though I'd like to look at them side by side in person.

As far as I recall, the 6378 uses the hood of the ejection port as the locking port. As long as the space between the trigger guard and the port remains unaltered it should lock whether or not a light is attached. (It's definitely a more bulky holster when made to accommodate a light though, one of the reasons I went with a "without" style.)
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/ingo-r...er-6378-a.html

And for a few dollars more you can add a guard, still only half the price of other holsters -
    http://www.copsplus.com/14070_safari...FUdk7AodNSUAEA
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-21-2014 at 03:46 PM.

You're right. It will hold with or without. Their chart must be out of date. It doesn't seem to include the 7XXX models yet.

I do like it being up higher, as it seems it would be easier to draw from a seated position since it's held at the midpoint of the gun instead of at the back when you bend. From the opinions I've read, the only reason you want your draw to be lower is to clear a vest anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomterrible View Post

In order of importance, my criteria were:
    Left-handed
    Glock 19...
    ...How did I do, and what would you change?
    The first thing I would change is the Glock.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    The first thing I would change is the Glock.
    Agreed, I just can't find a model 18 anywhere.

Sorry I was a little snarky about the Glock. The best holster is the one that best meets your needs. Going and trying various holsters in a gun store is a great idea. Good Luck.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Hope this helps

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry, Arizona Atomterrible.

You could try your hand at making your own. Here is one such thread on the subject:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Make-your-own

P.S.: I'd PM WalkingWolf about the process of making your own leather holster. He seems to enjoy doing his own work, and he's offered help on other threads dealing on the subject.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 02-24-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: P.S.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke